Yorkshire car restoration - filler 'fest

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Not quite as much filler as Don's car but still pretty bad.

Was surprised at the hammerite 😲

Huw

Club Member
Wow that’s a filler bodge job from hell. Is that red car in the background being sprayed while he’s grinding all that filler out??

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I don't understand their work methods. Or rather, to quote Captain Willard, "I see no method at all...". He's slapping Hammerite on that RH inner wing whilst the rest of the car hasn't even been stripped and/or investigated.

The only thing keeping the whole front end of the car together at the moment is the engine crossmember, and the engine is still in the car (???). The state of those air tubes (which are - in effect - upper chassis rails) says that the whole of both lower chassis rails and probably the double-skinned sections at the bottom of the strut towers needs replacing. He's talking about the LH chassis rail just needing some patches (???!!!).

I watched one of the other videos where the younger guy is working on the forward end of the RH sill, peeling away the outer part of a double-skinned layer until he gets a third of the way down the car, and then stopping. That outer sill should only be single-skinned, so it seems likely that the car has in the dim and distant past been fitted with 'cover sills', leaving the original sill outer in place. They need to replace the whole thing, probably on both sides.

In the first video in the series, the older guy says he thinks it used to be "...a race car or a drift car." Amazing how many people think that. I guess an ordinary car that falls into disrepair across multiple owners, receiving make-do-and-mend repairs just to get it through another MOT year after year, and then falling into the hands of a 'Gunnar' who gathers some parts (new door handles and a set of 240Z Hitachi carbs) but then turns the car into a dumpster is just not romantic enough. So, "Race car"...

The end result here can't hope to be anything more than another lash-up. What's the point?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I got the impression that the hammerite is just a quick bit of protection from the leaking roof while the rest of the car is worked on.
I'd fix the roof.... 😁

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I got the impression that the hammerite is just a quick bit of protection from the leaking roof while the rest of the car is worked on.
I'd fix the roof.... 😁
I bet the Hammerite is their longterm rustproofing method. Tbh I've used that.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Just took a peep at Episode 6 whilst having a nice cup of tea. Nearly choked.

So he's got the front end of the car up on jack stands which are placed under the engine crossmember, engine still installed, he's unbolted it from the body and then starts to unpick the double skinning that supports it?

Ye gods.

Ye Gods.jpg

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Oh, and another thing...

Spot the mistake in installing the transverse link bushing here. That car must have had some 'interesting' steering characteristics:

Transverse Link Bushing Oops.jpg

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Well spotted Albrecht. I worry myself every time I go under my car and yet some people lack common sense like this.

I do wonder sometimes where YouTube videos lack conclusions. There'll be a part 3 of a series of videos missing and no updates since 2010? They might have had an accident like what you've spotted lol

Huw

Club Member
Think I’m with Alan on this one, I’ve a feeling this is not going to end with a good quality resto. More of a half arsed attempt at doing it properly if it even gets finished at all.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I have to say, it's curing me of any delusions I had about the 'give it a go' welding experience. Shows what you can end up with, even if you have access to the tools and equipment.

As others have said, surprised they:
- Didn't dismantle the car more before starting the repairs
- Didn't use available repair panels
- Made loads of tiny patches