Filling / bleeding brakes from empty - any advice

RodimusPrime

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all.

I'm scratching my head somewhat over filling / bleeding my brakes (new T3 calipers front and rear). Initially I opened up each bleed nipple individually after filling the reservoirs obviously) and allowed fluid to reach the nipples in each corner. I then connected a hose/container to each nipple individually and depressed the brake a number of times but wasn't getting any fluid/air coming through.

I then purchased a brake bleeding vacuum pump and have used that on each nipple, which pulls fluid through from the reservoirs (which I have kept full throughout), with plenty of air too. I repeated this numerous times on each corner and still pulling air along with plenty of fluid. I tried to repeat the original method and depress the brake pedal but still get very minimal flow.

At first I thought there may be a loose union or fitting but everything seems tight and no signs of brake fluid leaking anywhere.

Is there something I'm missing considering this a filling the reservoir from empty, or do I just need to persist longer? Any advice or tips would be extremely welcome. Has anybody had any experience with reverse bleeding?

Thanks.

Matthew

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Once you have gone round bleeding do you still have a soft/crappy pedal?
you often see air passing along the pipe with a vacuum bleeder as air can some times be drawn after the nipple
via pushed on bleed hose.
tbh bleeding is normally trouble free

RodimusPrime

Well-Known Forum User
have you bled the master cylinder too?
I haven't, no - there are 2 bleed nipples on it but assumed (perhaps wrongly) that because I'm drawing fluid through on vaccum then this is fine. Is that just the same method of pumping the brake on those bleed nipples?

Thanks

RodimusPrime

Well-Known Forum User
Once you have gone round bleeding do you still have a soft/crappy pedal?
you often see air passing along the pipe with a vacuum bleeder as air can some times be drawn after the nipple
via pushed on bleed hose.
tbh bleeding is normally trouble free
Pedal is still soft but that may be as Jon had stated. Thanks, I'll forego the vacuum method for now as that may be the reason for the bubbles.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I haven't, no - there are 2 bleed nipples on it but assumed (perhaps wrongly) that because I'm drawing fluid through on vaccum then this is fine. Is that just the same method of pumping the brake on those bleed nipples?

Thanks
yes, but I meant to say earlier - pumping and releasing with the bleed nipples open doesn't work. it just moves fluid or air a few mm then pulls it back.
This recent thread might help :

RodimusPrime

Well-Known Forum User
yes, but I meant to say earlier - pumping and releasing with the bleed nipples open doesn't work. it just moves fluid or air a few mm then pulls it back.
This recent thread might help :
Thanks Jon, I'll check that out. Do you think the vacuum method would be suitable for the master cylinder then, or a combination of pedal depression / opening and closing the bleed nipple? (apologies if that's answered in that thread you linked, so ignore if so).

Thanks