What did you do to your Z this week?

richiep

Club Member
Bled the brakes and finally upgraded to Dot 4! Got her up on my hydraulic front ramps and then normal halfords style rear ramps. What a pain.Will be researching a compact lift, garage too small for anything big.

Anyway, first proper drive in over a year, felt so exhilirating...reminded me why I've stuck with her for so long.

View attachment 52601
Your car just looks "right" George - great pic!

As for the lift issue, have a look at something like this:

They tend to range in price from 1.5-2k depending on brand, but these mid-rise lifts are ideal for DIY garage use. The dad of one of my youngest's friends has one at home and its a great piece of kit. He used it during the resto of his MG Midget but it would work for a Z. They are far better than the other types of scissor lift out there that have framework and hydraulics in the way of access down the centreline of the car.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator

They tend to range in price from 1.5-2k depending on brand, but these mid-rise lifts are ideal for DIY garage use. The dad of one of my youngest's friends has one at home and its a great piece of kit. He used it during the resto of his MG Midget but it would work for a Z. They are far better than the other types of scissor lift out there that have framework and hydraulics in the way of access down the centreline of the car.
Mine is awesome - only problem is that it's ~870mm between the platforms, which is a bit too wide for the S30 compression rod mount, so it needs a cross bar (which was easy enough to make).
DSC_0008.JPG

Mr.G

Club Member
Super picture, lovely car.

I prefer wheels straight for a picture but I know I'm in the minority.

Thanks Ritchie.

That does look really good. In my head I have transmission and exhaust work to do and the bar in the centre will get in the way. The ones without anything in the centre seem more suited to my needs but not widely offered, I guess they would be dearer. Need to look into. Cheers

richiep

Club Member
Thanks Ritchie.

That does look really good. In my head I have transmission and exhaust work to do and the bar in the centre will get in the way. The ones without anything in the centre seem more suited to my needs but not widely offered, I guess they would be dearer. Need to look into. Cheers
The bar in the middle is just a removable handle for moving the lift around. They have casters so can be manoeuvred.

toopy

Club Member
Just to say, plastic headlights have a UV coating from the factory but it degrades over time. Whatever product you use to restore the headlights it will be abrasive and remove any UV protection that was left (probably none). So it's really important to protect the headlights again or they will get cloudy quicker than before.

I used to use 303 once a month on all the exterior rubber and plastic to protect it but life got busy and I stopped doing it. I'm now making up for lost time!
I bought some mainly for the interior vinyl in the Datsun and exterior rubber and plastic on my daily and the van.

Reading the back i did see this though 'Do Not Use on flooring, clear plastic, gauge panels or headlights'

Paul_S

Club Member
I bought some mainly for the interior vinyl in the Datsun and exterior rubber and plastic on my daily and the van.

Reading the back i did see this though 'Do Not Use on flooring, clear plastic, gauge panels or headlights'
Oh! I'll have a look into that! I wonder why... I've used it for years on the 370Z lights and they don't seem to have suffered at all. The clouding only appeared after I stopped using it 18 months ago when I moved house and all my time was taken up with that.

toopy

Club Member
Oh! I'll have a look into that! I wonder why... I've used it for years on the 370Z lights and they don't seem to have suffered at all. The clouding only appeared after I stopped using it 18 months ago when I moved house and all my time was taken up with that.
Yeh, i can understand headlights maybe because of the heat, but clear plastic! seems a bit odd, unless it's because they don't specifically sell it for keeping headlights and other vehicle lights free from deterioration and are just being commercially cautious?

atomman

Club Member
Day off and out for a drive around the mountains of South Wales ,

Up to Penderyn Distillery to get some nice Whisky over the mountain past the Story Arms in Brecon then over the top via Upper Chapel to Builth Wells then back down the Beulah road then over the Black mountain and then back home to Gower, Simply Awsome

Attachments

• DSC_4236.JPG
    DSC_4236.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 34

Huw

Club Member
Day off and out for a drive around the mountains of South Wales ,

Up to Penderyn Distillery to get some nice Whisky over the mountain past the Story Arms in Brecon then over the top via Upper Chapel to Builth Wells then back down the Beulah road then over the Black mountain and then back home to Gower, Simply Awsome
Great car, great party of the world and great whiskey. Love a drop of Penderyn Legend.

AD240Z

Club Member
I went for a drive up the dales - around leyburn and masham . Glorious day - roads quiet , and then I CAME ACROSS A GRITTER!!!!’ (Not my pic)

Gutted - first time I’ve driven my z on freshly gritted roads …..
4D1F15EC-7579-41E0-8E59-FEB2E1E4717A.jpeg