What did you do to your Z this week?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I've been welding again 🙄
I made a start on the right dogleg. It's by far the worst bit of the car rust wise.
This is it with the manky bits exposed.
DSC_0010.JPG

And now with the first layer replaced, which is the end of the inner sill.
DSC_0016.JPG
Next is the middle section which is sandwiched between the inner and outer sill (maybe its also part of the B pillar?), then the end of the outer sill attaches to that, then the bit to close the sill against the dogleg. And then the dogleg itself. Ay this rate, I shall be on to the left dogleg by september!

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I made and fitted the 2nd piece for the dogleg.
DSC_0020.JPGDSC_0026.JPG
That went well, then I spent the rest of the day getting my head round how to make the end of the outer sill. I gave up doing it in 1 piece. It'll be two pieces welded together. I think. Maybe.

DSC_0030.JPG

Mr.G

Club Member
I restored the 370Z's vision today by removing it's cataracts with some Autosol.

The offside was really bad and took 20 mins.

1717682306_OffsideBefore.jpg.c98c75431c4627722640f278814adc5c.jpg

634147017_OffsideBefore2.jpg.bde0bcb804c47c5654bd1dc39f1eef27.jpg

Completed.jpg.bec18618ba1cb43b62d913323bff6aa6.jpg

429814834_OffsideAfter.jpg.9ac6e4b3fa6852fd3d8711b0649be8dc.jpg

The nearside was pretty superficial and only took 5 mins.

1178677625_NearsideBefore.jpg.bb4f40fe399c010fb98218b78c0cec12.jpg

1589761928_NearsideAfter.jpg.dd9b516c356d30f2461bf1917e1b98c9.jpg

I applied some 303 after to protect the lights from UV again. I'm very happy with the results
That looks awesome. Did you just do it by hand or use a buffing wheel on the end of a drill? Another reason to buy autosol! What is 303? Not familiar.

Paul_S

Club Member
Honestly? It's so easy - I just used the blue pad you can see in one of the pics. All by hand. One side dirty, one side clean. Very little effort required!

Aerospace 303 is my go to for anything rubber or plastic. It has UV protection and leaves no residue. I use it on tyres, all plastics (i.e. anything modern), under bonnet hoses, dashboard, door seals. Your tyres will need a few coats because it draws loads of cr@p out and they will look brown for a bit. Worth it in the end (I'm not a fan of the wet tyre look - this will make them look like new).

Paul_S

Club Member
Just to say, plastic headlights have a UV coating from the factory but it degrades over time. Whatever product you use to restore the headlights it will be abrasive and remove any UV protection that was left (probably none). So it's really important to protect the headlights again or they will get cloudy quicker than before.

I used to use 303 once a month on all the exterior rubber and plastic to protect it but life got busy and I stopped doing it. I'm now making up for lost time!

status

Well-Known Forum User
I used toothpaste on my sti Scooby but need to do the lights on my jdm wagon,ive got the headlight restorer but I’m a big fan of Autosol didn’t think of using that

TimFZ

Club Member
I tested my Zs brakes this week during its first emergency stop.... Luckily I stopped before I hit the van that pulled out without looking, but in doing so, I left an impressive set of stripes on the road and it squeeled somewhat! For a moment, I forgot what braking was like without ABS!

Mr.G

Club Member
Bled the brakes and finally upgraded to Dot 4! Got her up on my hydraulic front ramps and then normal halfords style rear ramps. What a pain.Will be researching a compact lift, garage too small for anything big.

Anyway, first proper drive in over a year, felt so exhilirating...reminded me why I've stuck with her for so long.

20220808_203444.jpg

Jason McIvor

Club Member
Bled the brakes and finally upgraded to Dot 4! Got her up on my hydraulic front ramps and then normal halfords style rear ramps. What a pain.Will be researching a compact lift, garage too small for anything big.

Anyway, first proper drive in over a year, felt so exhilirating...reminded me why I've stuck with her for so long.

View attachment 52601
Mr.G
What a beautiful car and a great pic
January 2023 has a winner :cool:

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member

View attachment 52601
Beautiful mate we need another santa pod meet

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

View attachment 52601
Super picture, lovely car.

I prefer wheels straight for a picture but I know I'm in the minority.