Rear brake upgrade

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Hi all

Can anyone tell me what type of rear brake calipers can be used for a rear brake drum to disc conversion whilst maintaining the handbrake cable?

The reason I ask is the PO included a set of calipers (make and origin unknown) with the car I bought for restoration but my mechanic cannot get them to work (potentially ceased), but as we don't know their origin we cant get a refurb kit

Thanks in advance

Kieron

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Possibly not the direct answer to your question, but I recommend you revert to stock drum brakes on the rear for a predominantly street-driven car. The front brakes do most of the work anyway.

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Possibly not the direct answer to your question, but I recommend you revert to stock drum brakes on the rear for a predominantly street-driven car. The front brakes do most of the work anyway.
Thanks
However I feel we are too far gone now having all other parts in place and only when about to road test did we discover brake fade which through a process of elimination (testing all the new parts installed) have we concluded it must be the rear calipers that are stopping the tar brakes from functioning properly.
The car is being set up for fast road with occasional ‘leisurely’ track time

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
tar brakes? you could get shoes with upgraded friction material for a lot less than the prices and faff of a disc brake setup that works with the handbrake cable.

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Yes understood Jon and would agree however
I purchased the car with the drum brakes already removed and the disc conversion in place. Only when testing the car today did we find brake fade and have concluded the callipers that came with the car are at fault however we aren’t clear what they are from to acquire a repair kit. 240sx callipers are like hens teeth so looking for alternatives.

Seikoking

Well-Known Forum User
Have you got any pics of the rear calipers? Someone, but probably not me, might be able to identify them for you. :)

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Yes understood Jon and would agree however
I purchased the car with the drum brakes already removed and the disc conversion in place. Only when testing the car today did we find brake fade and have concluded the callipers that came with the car are at fault however we aren’t clear what they are from to acquire a repair kit. 240sx callipers are like hens teeth so looking for alternatives.
Ah, sorry , I misunderstood. Yeah, Pics might help .

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
They may be golf calipers. If so the handbrake lever may need to be extended by the prop to get sufficient travel.

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Ah, didn’t know golf calipers were an option. As part of investigations, have removed hand brake cable and calipers still not functioning

AshTheScaff

Club Member
2015 mustang callipers work as far as I know, I currently have Nissan Maxima callipers to mount.
Can get mounting brackets for the both of them.

If you get really stuck silver mine motors do a all round conversion set 👍🏼
Hope that helps

Kieronpollock

Club Member
2015 mustang callipers work as far as I know, I currently have Nissan Maxima callipers to mount.

Hope that helps
Thanks I have everything on just need calipers

Kieronpollock

Club Member

Hope that helps
Have you got your mounting brackets, discs yet? The reason I ask is if I need to buy a kit in order to get the calipers I’d be happy to sell on the other parts of you need them