Throttle bodies

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Apologies i was referring to their modern type DCOEs ITBs and if you have found or heard of any problems with those.
Their normal ITBs have DCOE footprint whereas the heritage ITBs have DCOE footprint AND look exactly like weber DCOEs. Its the latter that people are having problems with.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User

what EMS/ECU did you use @SeanDezart?
with Neil's setup, I'm still wondering if the untimed injection and balance tube might not have something to do with it.
Emerald.....however if, when we fit the stock ITBs, we find the slightest problem, we'll change to whatever the dyno tuner is comfortable with ! ALL I want at this stage is that they work right......hoping for 280crank bhp.....anything over 260 will do.

peter_s

Club Member
Not really - £189 per unit with free postage. Jenvey DCOE 45s are £242 NOT including VAT or shipping, and they don’t include the fuel rails, which are £38+VAT each for the short individual ones as per the FAJS ones (that’s what the Sherryberg ones actually are). That’s quite a meaningful difference when all added up.

The FAJS ones are essentially knock-offs of the Jenveys - let’s get that out the way first. However, having got a set of them, I see nothing that would suggest lesser quality in machining, function and reliability (maybe the exterior castings aren’t quite as pretty as the Jenveys). As I said, all the Jenvey official parts fit on the FAJS - thus, one can make use of Jenvey’s nicer AN- fitting fuel rails and linkage options. If budget is a factor, then I consider the Chinese ones contenders. Married to a Harada manifold, you achieve a good setup for much less than what the Jenvey equivalent costs.

Optioning up the L-series complete kit on the Jenvey website is absolutely eye-watering IMO. Convenient that they sell it all, but damn…

Do like the Heritage ones though!
Sure, but I do find the Jenveys for around 200GBP new on ebay. But you have valid points.

I'm very happy with my Jenveys, and the fact that there are spare parts readily available is worth a lot to me. The Jenveys is reliable long term, that's how I look at it. I think that's a valid argument for the Jenveys, and total cost of ownership long term.

Just a note regarding the Jenvey/DSI intake that is part of the Jenvey kit for the L-series: It's very thought out. There are tons of ports for vacuum etc that help the ECU. It's also angled upwards (which can create problems), but helps a little with intake temperatures. Eiji really thought of a lot of things when he designed it with Jenvey. Not really necessary maybe for most engines, but I'm very happy with it.

And to come back to a swap, there are more costs to consider on a swap. You need a high pressure fuel pump and filter for the injectors as well.

It all adds up quickly for sure...

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Just a note regarding the Jenvey/DSI intake that is part of the Jenvey kit for the L-series: It's very thought out. Eiji really thought of a lot of things when he designed it with Jenvey. Not really necessary maybe for most engines, but I'm very happy with it.
Please all note that neither MZR nor DSI fit the Heritage units.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Not talking about the Heritage units, I'm talking about the standard 50mm Jenvey kit with intake.

Yep, I know - just underlining that the big pros only fit the 'stock' Jenvey units.....for the unbelievers here !

Last edited by a moderator:

atomman

Club Member
I keep coming back to look at ITB's over my DCOE's but the thing its costs soon mount up with all the parts/reason listed above ,

Yes you will get gains like MPG and tuneability and power , but its seem a lot to not get that much , I do like the idea of getting back into to mapping and rolling road stuff to get the most out of the Z though, but need to finish the COE first but the Turbo lump and ECU wiring has ignited my interest in going the ITB/ECU route on my 240 , maybe something to do when I get the twincam RB head all fitted and working,

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I keep coming back to look at ITB's over my DCOE's but the thing its costs soon mount up with all the parts/reason listed above ,

Yes you will get gains like MPG and tuneability and power , but its seem a lot to not get that much ,
It's more than all that - the perfect mixture at any moment with all the advantage that brings (response time, torque, engine safety and reliability).

peter_s

Club Member

Yes you will get gains like MPG and tuneability and power , but its seem a lot to not get that much , I do like the idea of getting back into to mapping and rolling road stuff to get the most out of the Z though, but need to finish the COE first but the Turbo lump and ECU wiring has ignited my interest in going the ITB/ECU route on my 240 , maybe something to do when I get the twincam RB head all fitted and working,
I think the main thing you get i drivability and reliability. Some extra HP is a bonus, but not the main thing, carbs like Webers are really good at wide open throttle.

My car is very nice to drive in regular traffic, especially considering the amount of tuning done to the engine. Took some dialing in, but it's very tame. No bucking, no running unclean etc. It's almost like the stock engine but with more power on low rpms. Then when you get to the racetrack it performs just as well but at 8000rpm at WOT. No problems starting it cold in the mornings etc, it just works! If it's humid or cold, same thing. This can work so well, especially if you pair it with a trigger wheel and coil on plugs. But of course, that's even more money.

I know a well setup DCOE can work reasonably well, but it's not in the same ball park as a good tune with the ITBs.

There is also one more aspect that I like: Safety features. My ECU has built in protection against loss of oil pressure and running lean. My timing can compensate for a lot of problems with fuel flow (you need a modern spark distribution for this though). Then I have a big Lambda value gauge so I can see if I have problems before I melt a piston. These features are worth a lot to me!

I understand that most people don't use their car the way I do, and then it's probably not worth it. If I had a nice street car then I would probably have some Webers on it. It's all about priorities and needs in your specific application.

Same with uniballs, either you need it, or you don't

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Jenvey Heritage here is my own experience
Last year I ran my engine with a original 280z single plenum intake manifold the engine was tuned on the rollers at 230bhp
but our thoughts at the time was that the intake manifold was restrictive and would run better on itbs .( I ran the car awhile with no problems)
This year I decided to go with a set of Heritage itb fitted with 350cc Bosch injector and a Canon manifold .
After 2 failed attempts to get them set up due to pinking issues we noted that the two centre spark plugs (3and4)were in fact burning different to the outer plugs
After swapping a few things with no change we became suspicious of the angle of the Heritage injectors (They are at 30degs ) also the centre manifold is angled differently to the outers
We believed the combination of the two meant that the injectors firing at the wall of the manifold (wet walling)
I spoke to Mike Jenvey who had never heard of it but couldn’t dismiss it. He agreed to loan me a new set of their standard itb
to try.
We fitted them and booked another rolling road session, the car was mapped without any of the pinking issues as before and the plugs all burn evenly now with 260hp.
Jenvey were great & refunded the Heritage units in place for their standard itb & they even supplied me with the better Bosch injectors in place of Pico

Attachments

• 21DF8573-361A-48A4-A815-AC441622C275.jpeg
    21DF8573-361A-48A4-A815-AC441622C275.jpeg
    435.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 2970348D-80FD-497E-BAC2-E5B1290E9DC1.jpeg
    2970348D-80FD-497E-BAC2-E5B1290E9DC1.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 5DC7F5FF-D7FF-4F4F-A1FC-E7C921DD9694.jpeg
    5DC7F5FF-D7FF-4F4F-A1FC-E7C921DD9694.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 27

status

Well-Known Forum User
You can get good power just by doing head work so no need for a stroker but then you don’t need to do a lot of head work if you do have a stroker,my old 240 was quick,was built by Fourways ,bit of head work and that had the same performance as a bmw 330 I off the mark

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You can get good power just by giving head so no need to strok'er and that had the same performance as a 33 off the mark....