Throttle bodies

Coyd

Well-Known Forum User
I’m considering Jenvey throttle bodies, anyone on here using them?
I’m running 1 3/4 SU’s at moment.
I’m interested in finding out if, the advantages out way the cost. Performance & mpg

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I have them, not on my vehicle yet.

Youl'll need quite a lot of other parts to get them working mind...

status

Well-Known Forum User
You mean ones like this

Attachments

• 4E2BC09E-D820-46EB-9F55-DD5566374C84.jpeg
    4E2BC09E-D820-46EB-9F55-DD5566374C84.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 41

Fairlineguy

Club Member
I’m using 45mm jenveys with 350cc injectors.
jenvey built them with Bosch injectors rather than there pico injectors as I’d heard even new pico injectors don’t have a good spray pattern out of the box
Fuel consumption will be very much the same as carbs

status

Well-Known Forum User
Fuel consumption should be better than carbs,mine is and I’m running a 3.2 was also better with the 3.1 we worked it out at 33 mpg when we went to Le Mans and that wasnt driving like a pussy

peter_s

Club Member
I think you would need to drive a lot to make any saving from buying the throttlebodies and the accessories, including a ECU. :)

richiep

Club Member
There are cheaper DCO footprint throttle bodies available - e.g. this one. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324574417738
They're pretty simple devices - I can't see how Jenvey's prices are justified.
Yep - the Jenvey prices are nuts (UK domestic production) for what is actually a simple mechanism and casting. I have a set of those Sherryberg ones for my project 240Z (in 48mm). They are basically Chinese/HK Jenvey clones - to the point that genuine Jenvey parts fit on them. I've got optional Jenvey throttle lever fittings on mine to adapt the levers to the Harada manifold linkage.

As noted, there's a lot of additional considerations and cost in making them work though. ECU, injectors, fuel pumps, surge/swirl tank, regulator, sensors (TPS, O2, crank angle sensor). Also, usually an ITB install ends up encompassing ignition changes (coilpacks, coil on plug). Given the typical standalone ECU will control ignition, this tends to trump sticking with a distributor.

I considered going with the Sherryberg ones for my 2.2L twin cam build for my RA25 Celica, but decided I was hosing enough of the 240Z budget that way already. Went with old SK/OER 45 carbs instead. Rebuilding those will only cost 400 quid, instead of ££££...

status

Well-Known Forum User
I got all y TBs and everything else at trade or below so not sure how much they are nowdays

Skallywag

Club Member
Going the same route. Bought Jenvey ITB's two years ago but not fitted them yet. If nothing else, they do look way better than the original carbs.

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
Just don't buy the Heritage units !
Is there a reason for you saying that ?. I have used them on a couple of engines now and they work really well. They also seem good value when you consider you get injectors, TPS etc with them. These conversions are never 'cheap' if done properly but the benefits over carbs are very significant.

richiep

Club Member
Those are basically the same price? Not a huge difference.

The Jenveys are built to a very high standard. Very good quality parts and reliable. I think they are worth what they are charging
Not really - £189 per unit with free postage. Jenvey DCOE 45s are £242 NOT including VAT or shipping, and they don’t include the fuel rails, which are £38+VAT each for the short individual ones as per the FAJS ones (that’s what the Sherryberg ones actually are). That’s quite a meaningful difference when all added up.

The FAJS ones are essentially knock-offs of the Jenveys - let’s get that out the way first. However, having got a set of them, I see nothing that would suggest lesser quality in machining, function and reliability (maybe the exterior castings aren’t quite as pretty as the Jenveys). As I said, all the Jenvey official parts fit on the FAJS - thus, one can make use of Jenvey’s nicer AN- fitting fuel rails and linkage options. If budget is a factor, then I consider the Chinese ones contenders. Married to a Harada manifold, you achieve a good setup for much less than what the Jenvey equivalent costs.

Optioning up the L-series complete kit on the Jenvey website is absolutely eye-watering IMO. Convenient that they sell it all, but damn…

Do like the Heritage ones though!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Is there a reason for you saying that ?. I have used them on a couple of engines now and they work really well. They also seem good value when you consider you get injectors, TPS etc with them. These conversions are never 'cheap' if done properly but the benefits over carbs are very significant.
LOL, of course there is a reason - the Heritage units don't work on S30s and Jenvey know it !