Electronic ignition, which one??

AD240Z

Club Member
I don’t think this thread has been referenced here?

Well worth a read if not .

JW240

Active Forum User
I have now emailed 123 ignition shop rather than 123 de to see if they bother responding. Its such a mixed bag with quality it seems, some report zero issues and some report constant quality failings.
Nice 240z on the way to LeMan classic who was running a 123 with no issues

atomman

Club Member
Just an update for anyone wondering, it seems the terrible customer service with 123 starts before you even give them money. Enquired about the issues with the resistors in the rotor arms failing, the response I got was "We do not know this problem from our products." to which i replied

"https://123ignitionusa.com/oem-rotor-modified-no-resistor-for-all-4-and-6-cyl-123-applications/

It would appear to me that you do seeing as your American partners sell a fix. If i was to purchase one manufactured recently and on your shelf now, would it include a resistor in the rotor arm?"

I have not received a response to this, so it would seem that there are indeed quality issues, known to them, that they bury their heads in the sand with.

as far as I can see 123 don't make the rotor arm or the cap , so they could fail on any other dizzy just like a 280zx unit,

Most if not all rotor arms have a resistor 'potted' into them, as far as i can see that yank fix is just getting rid of the resistor and sticking some copper rod in . is that really a 'fix' or a just a bodge ? just source a rotor arm without a resistor ?

Reactions: Huw

Huw

Club Member
as far as I can see 123 don't make the rotor arm or the cap , so they could fail on any other dizzy just like a 280zx unit,

Most if not all rotor arms have a resistor 'potted' into them, as far as i can see that yank fix is just getting rid of the resistor and sticking some copper rod in . is that really a 'fix' or a just a bodge ? just source a rotor arm without a resistor ?
The added resistance in the rotor arm hasn’t caused the running of my injection system any problems at all. It’s a non issue as far as I’m concerned. As Atomman said just buy a rotor without a resistor if you have a reliability concern with the rotor arm. Makes no difference to the performance of the 123

JW240

Active Forum User
The added resistance in the rotor arm hasn’t caused the running of my injection system any problems at all. It’s a non issue as far as I’m concerned. As Atomman said just buy a rotor without a resistor if you have a reliability concern with the rotor arm. Makes no difference to the performance of the 123
Im aware of the bosch cap which i planned to buy, does anyone know the part number of a better rotor arm, does turn a £420 into a £500 one

Texasroadrunner

Club Member
Just that I've had a couple and they both caused misfiring.
I ran a Pertronix digital HP ignition box for 6 months. The spark provided was excellent. Quick starting, fast revving and stable idle. The problem was the tach signal. It took 20 minutes to send one to the tach after every start up. Pertronix took it back, tested it and said there was nothing wrong with it. Then they sent me a new unit. Same issue. I switched over to an MSD 6AL that needed a tach adaptor #8920. That did the trick. Tach works great and ignition works even with Pertronix point conversion and Flame Thrower coil. Plugs gapped at .050"and they run clean. The orange look is from the Lucas octane booster I used to run with non-ethanol premium. 20210107_171840.jpg

bobzilla7

Club Member
Hope you don't mind if I revive this thread.

Has anyone tried these?

DPT

Club Member

Has anyone tried these?

This looks like a Sheryberg distributor which are currently on sale from AliExpress direct from China. Current price is £83.00 plus vat with free postage. Not tried it but I am tempted particularly if z car depot are now reselling with a big mark up.

Texasroadrunner

Club Member
I elected to send my stock L24 distributor to Advanced Distributors https://www.advanceddistributors.com in Minnesota USA. They rebuilt and fully restored it. Powder coated it and set the advance curve for no mechanical advance. I have triple Webers and there's no good vacuum port. Now I can run 18* basic and have 35* total advance. L24 idles smooth and runs great. Money well spent. Just an alternative to a Chinese product.

bobzilla7

Club Member
This looks like a Sheryberg distributor which are currently on sale from AliExpress direct from China. Current price is £83.00 plus vat with free postage. Not tried it but I am tempted particularly if z car depot are now reselling with a big mark up.
These? They could be reselling them!

DPT

Club Member
I think so ... Look at the shape of the vacuum advance, it is identical in both listings but not the same as a stock distributor.

Robotsan

Club Member

Has anyone tried these?

There's a well known guy on Facebook on the big American group (can't remember which one) called Jeremy Wilbur who's been selling these in the US for a while now: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/k4vNLJvnnjg6M8Mn/

He claimed to not know about the Sheryberg ones on AliExpress - and maybe he's buying them from some supplier in the US and hqs genuinely never seen the AliExpress listings. But it's blatantly the same units. And so is that Zcardepot one. And you'd think they must be fairly confident in them if they're selling them.

Jeremy put lots of good pics of the units on that thread at the end. They look well made. I also saw somewhere he stated he'd sold maybe 100 of them and had 2 or 3 returns, and said 1 was actually faulty and the others were user error. So not a bad ratio really. Worth a punt at £83 from AliExpress!

Reactions: DPT

bobzilla7

Club Member
There's a well known guy on Facebook on the big American group (can't remember which one) called Jeremy Wilbur who's been selling these in the US for a while now: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/k4vNLJvnnjg6M8Mn/

He claimed to not know about the Sheryberg ones on AliExpress - and maybe he's buying them from some supplier in the US and hqs genuinely never seen the AliExpress listings. But it's blatantly the same units. And so is that Zcardepot one. And you'd think they must be fairly confident in them if they're selling them.

Jeremy put lots of good pics of the units on that thread at the end. They look well made. I also saw somewhere he stated he'd sold maybe 100 of them and had 2 or 3 returns, and said 1 was actually faulty and the others were user error. So not a bad ratio really. Worth a punt at £83 from AliExpress!
Thanks. Yes it does seem worth a punt at that price!

DPT

Club Member
I am the guinea pig, I ordered mine yesterday I have a bit more confidence now that it might be a good buy. I have been looking at them for a while but I have been a bit reluctant to buy one due to potential for it to be poor quality. But if Z car depot are selling them that speaks volumes and if this guy in America has sold over 100 then they may be better quality ... By the time postage and VAT is added to the Z car depot price it will also qualify for import duty, so Ali express are much cheaper. I have bought a couple of tools from Ali express recently and have been happy. l will report back however my car is in pieces at the moment and I don't plan to start the engine for a few more months, it was last started in July 1992 so has needed some TLC to get it this far.

Robotsan

Club Member
I am the guinea pig, I ordered mine yesterday I have a bit more confidence now that it might be a good buy. I have been looking at them for a while but I have been a bit reluctant to buy one due to potential for it to be poor quality. But if Z car depot are selling them that speaks volumes and if this guy in America has sold over 100 then they may be better quality ... By the time postage and VAT is added to the Z car depot price it will also qualify for import duty, so Ali express are much cheaper. I have bought a couple of tools from Ali express recently and have been happy. l will report back however my car is in pieces at the moment and I don't plan to start the engine for a few more months, it was last started in July 1992 so has needed some TLC to get it this far.

Excellent, let us know what you think of it when arrives.