Electronic ignition, which one??

JW240

Active Forum User
After a rotor arm failure and general running issues I’m thinking electronic ignition is a good idea, but I’m so confused on which to choose. The 3 options are a 280zx with a matchbox, a pertronix ignitor or a 123 unit.

The 280zx is a good drop in etc but it’s 45 years old now and getting a spare matchbox is nearly impossible if this one dies

The pertronix seems a decent cost but doesn’t replace any potentially worn out parts

And finally the 123, all new and fresh but I’ve had so much bad luck with awful quality new parts, also seen a lot of mixed reviews on these between terrible and brilliant.

None of these options are cheap so really don’t fancy wasting my money and buying twice. The only reason is ask is so many threads on this are years older when a 280zx was a cheap option.

Huw

Club Member
I can only comment on my experience when my 280ZX dizzy quit. I went the 123 route and I’m loving it. No problem with installation ( apart from connecting the - and + the wrong way around, who would have figured the black wire was positive) and set up. I love the ability to tweak the timing without getting a spanner out.

JW240

Active Forum User
I can only comment on my experience when my 280ZX dizzy quit. I went the 123 route and I’m loving it. No problem with installation ( apart from connecting the - and + the wrong way around, who would have figured the black wire was positive) and set up. I love the ability to tweak the timing without getting a spanner out.
Appreciate the comment, do you carry a spare cap for the 123?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
And I've heard a few horror stores of using 123 Ignition and their after-sales service is crap !

JW240

Active Forum User
And I've heard a few horror stores of using 123 Ignition and their after-sales service is crap !
That’s what I’ve heard, they are the only fully new dizzy available but I refuse to buy crap, especially expensive (overpriced) crap

Huw

Club Member
That’s what I’ve heard, they are the only fully new dizzy available but I refuse to buy crap, especially expensive (overpriced) crap
Sorry Sean not crap, not crap at all, after sales was extremely good. Eric at 123 was very obliging and extremely helpful. Even provided the curves for the 280ZX for free.

JW240

Active Forum User
Sorry Sean not crap, not crap at all, after sales was extremely good. Eric at 123 was very obliging and extremely helpful. Even provided the curves for the 280ZX for free.
For £400 they should be free, which retailer did you buy yours from as you can’t buy directly from 123, massive red flag there

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'm talking about 123 in Holland, not from whom you bought yours.

atomman

Club Member

This seems strange to me as everyone I know that uses one , ( including a few non-Datsun owners) are happy with them , and when I have emailed the guy in Holland he's been very helpful and responded pretty quickly.

I have read a few people had problems setting them up @TDC and there was a few story's of dizzy cap quality ,

I've had no problems am very happy with it and had no problems with my cap either , still using the same one after 5 years , they are the same as a Porsche part anyway so you could just buy a good Bosch cap,

What 'Horror stories' ? Engines blowing up ?

I find people tend to moan a lot on the internet but don't sing praises as much theses days..

JW240

Active Forum User
This seems strange to me as everyone I know that uses one , ( including a few non-Datsun owners) are happy with them , and when I have emailed the guy in Holland he's been very helpful and responded pretty quickly.

I have read a few people had problems setting them up @TDC and there was a few story's of dizzy cap quality ,

I've had no problems am very happy with it and had no problems with my cap either , still using the same one after 5 years , they are the same as a Porsche part anyway so you could just buy a good Bosch cap,

What 'Horror stories' ? Engines blowing up ?

I find people tend to moan a lot on the internet but don't sing praises as much theses days..
I think alot refer to this https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/62220-do-not-buy-a-123ignition-distributor/ as its one of the first results when you look online for these, sadly the company didnt handle it well and there is few articles about them.