I'm going 1JZ

Russell

Club Member
Had to order some more paint. Used a surprising amount of cans of the builders merchants finest white paint!
More on order but needed the ramp so pushed it out into the sun and pretty happy for a temp job!
Not too much longer and I won’t need to push it around anymore!
320CE9B3-BA64-47FA-B0EE-C6A3603F0D15.jpeg

Russell

Club Member
Couple more 3D printer jobs today.

First one is for the fuel hoses. I have a swirl pot mounted in the boot, I think there are some pics further back that detail the making of it. 4 fuel hoses and the fuel pump power cable need to leave the car so a hole in the floor was required.
Modelled a gasket and printed in rubber. Provides a good seal and a nice finish. Carpet will ultimately go over it.

C23EE3E2-9813-422E-A2AB-C19112778C5C.jpeg

Russell

Club Member
Second is for the fans. Made a couple of decisions for budget and aesthetics that I am confident will come round and bite me.
If they do, I will change it later.
1. The budget radiator came with a pair of even more budget fans.
2. I don’t want to see them.

They are pull fans so the only way to achieve what I want is to mount them directly to the back of the intercooler so the air-flow at least goes the right way. I doubt it will be enough and I will find out on a hot day far from home.

On the subject of cheap, they come with equally cheap fittings that have 2 obvious problems that are likely to cause them to rub and potentially damage the intercooler and cause boost leaks.
First problem tackled with some epoxy to hold the ears still.
82A43475-D7BE-46F1-82F6-38FDF57F0376.jpeg
Second is the metal springs. They supply squares of sticky foam that will last about 5 minutes so I printed some little cups to locate the spring and stop it rubbing through.
8B57DAFB-EBF0-4EF8-9864-C4135CDEE8C0.jpeg08CF0366-36EE-4EC0-853F-1967D7745C68.jpeg
Put it together this evening, didn’t get a pic but realised too late we put the fittings in backwards. Still holds it but the springs are visible from the front.
Not the end of the world as the grill will hide it but a bit annoying. Nothing we can do about it without getting more fittings so will live with it and come up with some convincing narrative about how it’s like that by design!

Attachments

• BCC6C1B8-3FE4-4C31-BCEE-B7A6D5E5137A.jpeg
    BCC6C1B8-3FE4-4C31-BCEE-B7A6D5E5137A.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 3

Ian

Club Member
Handy having a 3D printer. Which software are you using?

I fancied learning some 3D software as it would allow me to design parts myself and then send the plans off to be made. But I'd use it so little I don't want to pay big fees each year for the licence.

Russell

Club Member

I fancied learning some 3D software as it would allow me to design parts myself and then send the plans off to be made. But I'd use it so little I don't want to pay big fees each year for the licence.
I literally use Tinkercad for everything I have done. Its free and as long as you know what you are doing pretty versatile. I am going to have to use something different for the new air ducts I am making though as I wont be able to model the complicated shapes needed to get a tube to go around the intercooler pipework and out of the holes underneath them.

I also find a lot of things on Thingiverse that are close to what I am after and then mess about with them from there to save time, this works great if I want to mound "X" to "Y". Likely separate mounts already modelled so can simply join them together and print them.
Other way for complicated 2D shapes is to find a picture online and convert that into a 3D model you can then extrude and mess about with - Great for logos and stuff.

For the printer I just have an Ender3 pro. Messed about with slightly to allow me to reliably print rubber as well as a decent enclosure so it will print ABS and more.

It has been so incredibly useful on this project. I have a friend helping me who is an incredible aviation engineer and has been amazed at what I have been able to create incredibly quickly to solve a problem or simply a nice touch that no one will ever see!
Shame its not an application that can be used in aviation but fine for a rusty old road car!

At some point I am going to experiment with casting metal parts with it as well as making moulds for carbon pieces which would be really cool.

For now I just want to get it running and on the road. The next evolutions will come but its been up on a ramp for 6 years!!

zbloke

Club Member

Fusion 360 has a free version for personal use, doesn't have all the features of a subscription version but still very useful

Russell

Club Member
Bit more progress, few more pictures this time as I normally forget until I’m about to leave.

Intercooler in, fans sandwiched between. Wiring for the lights, horn and bits need sorting out but that’s lower down the priority list. As is fixing the lower bracket that the grill screws onto.
B38A535D-809A-4273-B626-D3F7F0ABAEC1.jpeg
Here is a close up of the modified end pipes on the intercooler. The nearside hole in the front panel was the perfect size, the pipe fitted through the offside hole but it was a bit tight so that was enlarged slightly.
Perfect clearance now and nothing will rub.
1807E920-3F96-4A0A-A8DE-987042301E9B.jpegC44B00E3-EBF7-42E5-9C22-C8AD63EC18B2.jpeg

Boost pipes finalised as well as the front side coolant pipes.
C692D892-D173-4FE1-8616-862926452987.jpeg

Donor car came with an HKS SSQ dump valve. Not my preference and will be changed at some point but presented a bit of a packaging challenge as it’s particularly heavy and stuck out like a sore thumb wherever we tried to put it. Settled with this location. It’s rested on a stud at the moment with a couple of cable ties but I will come up with a better mounting solution.
4117B3FB-A843-4B50-8653-F8D23ED465CC.jpeg

Fuse box and igniter need properly mounting but cable ties will do for the moment.
4F7CA537-A41B-41F8-A9DF-ED39812C93D8.jpeg

Russell

Club Member
Few inside bits.
Boost controller and AFR will live in the glove box. Boost controller wired in, still need to wire up the AFR.
B855FEC5-754C-4515-81BD-042F555493EF.jpeg

Into the boot and here is the battery where it will live. Fuel pump ECU and relay for the pump in the swirl pot still to mount.
AF424D68-4976-4322-9840-5FB6220BBC57.jpeg

Swirl pot fitted and wired up. 2 connected pipes are the feed and return to the fuel tank. Other two will be the feed and return to the fuel rail via the hardliners that are still to be made.
602D9E16-040C-44DE-845D-4277D54E767E.jpegDF902F7A-B6BB-47CE-BC2D-B0934F3D0098.jpeg

Reactions: Ian

Russell

Club Member
This looks great. Just one question; how do you keep that swirl pot free of air in that orientation?
I think I covered the design of this further back in the thread.
Basically it is a machined aluminium cylinder with a Bosch pump in it. It can either be used vertically or horizontally. The internal pickup is at the bottom and close to one edge so if horizontal it has to be at the correct rotation.
There is then a 3D printed rubber sleeve to get to the shape of the box that mounts to the car. With all the rubber around it we are expecting it to be pretty quiet.

There is also a pump in the tank to get the fuel up into into it.
The flow is incredible and not expecting any issues with air in it but will see.

Faster Behr

Club Member
Nice job. Sounds like you’ve thought it all through. Noise in operation is just as important as performance in my mind. I’ve been thinking about going for a retrofit in-tank pump for this very reason.

Russell

Club Member
Nice job. Sounds like you’ve thought it all through. Noise in operation is just as important as performance in my mind. I’ve been thinking about going for a retrofit in-tank pump for this very reason.
The tank pump is covered in the thread in a couple of different places as it has evolved and been prettied up a lot as we went through. The pump used here is the factory pump from the Soarer, this way it plugs into the factory fuel pump ECU so will be properly (and safely) controlled. The pump in the swirl pot is also controlled via the fuel pump ecu. This via a relay though so no variable voltage.
Soarer mounting solution repurposed with a bit of modification to the bracket due to a different shape tank as well as 3D printed gaskets.
Original Datsun fuel level sender is retained as well.

Russell

Club Member
Downpipe prettied up a bit and got some new gaskets for it.
Apparently we should bolt this on to the engine before we start it so we don’t set the engine bay on fire…
006BA1C3-5BF7-4794-A838-6A1204484FBD.jpegD3491CBB-BEF7-4E91-8AD6-668AEC58B97C.jpeg

Ian

Club Member
Thats a good step. Congratulations

Don't see how the fuel pump could cause overfueling? Surely its the FPR and the ECU controlling the injectors that determines how much fuel goes in?

Russell

Club Member
Thats a good step. Congratulations

Don't see how the fuel pump could cause overfueling? Surely its the FPR and the ECU controlling the injectors that determines how much fuel goes in?
Yes and that was what I thought. However the 044 pump is massively more powerful than the factory pump and I think it’s overpowering the FPR so the rail has too much pressure. With a higher pressure in the rail, more fuel is being forced in when they open. That’s my working theory anyway, until my planned fix doesn’t work!