What did you do to your Z this week?

Faster Behr

Club Member
Looking good! I've only just noticed the rear lights are the same as a 260/280. Excuse my ignorance, but I'm guessing they must have changed them on the JDM market cars around the same time too, but just kept the name as the Fairlady Z all through production?

And did the engine stay as a 2.0l the whole time in Japan?

I don’t really know about the rear lights to be honest. It’s a good question.

The car left Japan with an L20 in 1990, this much I do know. I’ve got evidence of this - photos and documentation at time of export to Oklahoma - but no idea when it went to an L28.

Faster Behr

Club Member
I've been poking around my 240z.
Although it now fires up easy, It can't run for long because the coolant inlet fitting is corroded, and the bolt snapped in the timing cover when I went to remove it.
Also, I can't get it in gear - the clutch MC rod has parted company with the plunger thingy.
Next weekend when the order arrives from rockauto it'll be new clutch cylinders and swap timing covers and maybe I'll be able to do drive it in and out of the garage.
Oh and its now got four matching wheels with tyres that hold air (thanks @SamH99) so it rolls nicely now.
View attachment 51062View attachment 51063View attachment 51064View attachment 51065View attachment 51066

I’m liking the lightweight swirl pot. Will that be a keeper?

Robotsan

Club Member
I don’t really know about the rear lights to be honest. It’s a good question.

The car left Japan with an L20 in 1990, this much I do know. I’ve got evidence of this - photos and documentation at time of export to Oklahoma - but no idea when it went to an L28.

Sorry I meant, I wondered whether the Fairlady Z model ever got an engine upgrade from the L20, not your individual car! :)

candy red

Club Member
Seam sealed and Epoxy primed the repairs under the scuttle panel area and the underside of the panel underneath the the scuttle panel now ready to weld in
D5B93ED9-3F9E-4134-923F-96CEF5C7605B.jpeg05E52751-237C-43B1-ACA8-9C761C41EB0F.jpegF3D4A730-0D73-4440-AAA2-3837EABE67D2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Faster Behr

Club Member
Today: clutch fluid change, tyre pressures, oil and coolant check. Inspect belts and fuel system. Pulled all the plugs and they are all a lovely even colour. The new EFI has done 200 miles now and it’s running really nicely.

We’re going to need a new clutch slave soon. It’s a tiny bit wet and the hose is crunchy. Apart from that everything is looking peachy. I’ll get a Rock Auto order going for slowtime delivery.

83B1A6A9-BB14-4FAE-9B01-987BF93F555C.jpeg

847F37AD-188A-4782-A942-5582D31C0B0C.jpeg

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I've fitted both new master and slave clutch cylinders to the 240,
but still it won't go into gear with the engine running.
I think the clutch disk is rusted to the flywheel, so it's time to take the engine out.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've fitted both new master and slave clutch cylinders to the 240,
but still it won't go into gear with the engine running.
I think the clutch disk is rusted to the flywheel, so it's time to take the engine out.
Try starting it in gear.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Bloody hell, Jon. Has that been at the bottom of a lake for a while! ( I have a lightened fly wheel and lightly used stage two 225mm clutch assembly if your interested)
Thanks Huw, might be - just waiting on a local one on ebay to see if it's 225mm.