280z Cranks but won't start

SacCyclone

Club Member
So I confirmed with my mechanic last night, the AFM has a micro switch inside (think old school points) that activates when the AFM "flap" moves from the closed position. The micro switch once activated sends the current to the relay under the seat. The relay (again think points set) makes contact inside and sends the current to the electric fuel pump. Both the micro switch and relay points set corrode over time but can be accessed and cleaned with some fine sand paper or emery board.

Having said all that, it appears that your pump is not operating with direct 12V. so it looks like a pump issue. Maybe time to remove the pump and replace with a new high quality pump, install a filter prior to the pump as well. I am pretty sure that we removed the pump before it got to you and used parts from another pump to make this one work.

Mike

BenjEtch

Club Member
Thank you both for clarifying that, I'll swap it out and install a filter before it also. Any recommendations on a decent fuel pump and filter?
Sounds like a dead pump. From the video clip looks like an aftermarket one. If you do replace the pump good practice is to fit a pre filter.
So I confirmed with my mechanic last night, the AFM has a micro switch inside (think old school points) that activates when the AFM "flap" moves from the closed position. The micro switch once activated sends the current to the relay under the seat. The relay (again think points set) makes contact inside and sends the current to the electric fuel pump. Both the micro switch and relay points set corrode over time but can be accessed and cleaned with some fine sand paper or emery board.

Having said all that, it appears that your pump is not operating with direct 12V. so it looks like a pump issue. Maybe time to remove the pump and replace with a new high quality pump, install a filter prior to the pump as well. I am pretty sure that we removed the pump before it got to you and used parts from another pump to make this one work.

Mike