Adjusting BC coilovers

AgingGeek

Club Member
Hi all, so on my first proper drive of the 280z, its bottoming out on the rear arches and has gauged the tyres... joy. I went to adjust them, but the adjusters on the top of the coilovers don't turn or click like they do in videos I have watched online. I notice that the adjusters pull upwards as well, do you have to pull them up to rotate them?

I have tried all 4 and none of them will turn... I didn't want to put pliers on them until I asked here, don't want to break them!

It looks like you should be able to simply turn them with your fingers, but they all feel seized to me if that's the case.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Those adjusters will be damping adjustment won't they? - don't you need to adjust spring height, which involves raising the spring perch?

AgingGeek

Club Member
I think I need to adjust damping, the ride height is fine, I just need to make them stiffen quicker so they don't bottom out?

Robotsan

Club Member
I think I need to adjust damping, the ride height is fine, I just need to make them stiffen quicker so they don't bottom out?

It makes sense, and the car certainly doesn't look *too* lowered. Just have to hope you don't end up with too hard a ride as a consequence.

The tyres look pretty wide though - so if the arch lip cut the tyre, perhaps it's more the camber that needs adjusting to tuck the tops in a bit? Otherwise narrower tyres would be next move unfortunately.

Unfortunately I don't know how the BCs adjust. But from googling it certainly sounds like you just turn the dials left for softer and right for firmer:

AgingGeek

Club Member
I fixed it in the end, I think the adjusters hadn't been moved in quite some time, so just got some grips on them and they loosened up real easy

AgingGeek

Club Member
Im going to raise the rear up 15 mm though as the inner arch is still there... I think that the roads in the Netherlands might be somewhat flatter and nicer than here, so maybe the previous owner never had them bottom out before (plus, I am 100kg so maybe I am heavier too) its only the drivers rear that's hitting, which might make sense