Clutch faulty

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi Guys first post in a while, was out in zed today and clutch started dragging, have traced fault to master slave which is leaking fluid, seal is obviously gone. Looks like a relatively easy job to replace? Just bolts and hose, any tips are appreciated also where is the best source for a replacement? The only one I can find in UK is Conceptua Motersports, if there are others or if someone wants to sell me one just get in touch. This has been the first breakdown or fault in 7 years not bad going I suppose.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
get it from rockauto, fedex delivery and it will be here quicker and cheaper than conceptua.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Rock Auto are good but make sure you order the correct part because return postage is not practical.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
conceptua may well have it in stock, but my (limited) experience was it still took a week.

Huw

Club Member
Bit of a coincidence I’ve had a clutch slave cylinder go yet again (with in a year) and I don’t do much mileage. Both slave cylinders were an aluminium alloy construction and have failed in the same manner. The pistons have scored the bores causing the seal to leak. The cylinder push rod and clutch fork don’t look out of alignment so I am a little confused to see how the piston could wear the bore like it had. New one on order from Rockauto and I have gone for a less expensive Centrica make, but the cylinder looks to be made of cast steel. So fingers crossed this one does not fail.
F0A1DDB5-3523-493B-8F80-A97E8569771A.jpeg

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
@Huw is it possible your clutch fluid is contaminated and causing the scoring? might be worth flushing it before fitting the new slave.

Huw

Club Member
Hi Jon. I flushed it through last time as I rebuilt my master cylinder at the same time (as you do) due to a leaky seal. Just a bit weird this new slave going so soon and in the same fashion as the last one.