240z Vs 280z questions (not the usual ones!)

yellowz

Club Member
Full of niggly issues that mean it's not quite safe to drive a long way yet................................. It puts a smile on my face just being on the drive though. I knew it was going to be a long term project, hopefully it will be a driving project not consigned to the garage for years to come. Bought it to enjoy it and fix it along the way.

Robotsan

Club Member
Full of niggly issues that mean it's not quite safe to drive a long way yet................................. It puts a smile on my face just being on the drive though. I knew it was going to be a long term project, hopefully it will be a driving project not consigned to the garage for years to come. Bought it to enjoy it and fix it along the way.

Exactly what I'm planning to do too. In fact I was close to buying that one!
What are the niggles may I ask? I imagine I'll be experiencing similar!

Faster Behr

Club Member
I assume you need to make up some brackets to fit them, or is there a kit available? Do the inertia reels bolt onto the rear strut towers?
The Securon’s that I mentioned above (500/30) are almost a perfect bolt in fit. The reels are able to fit nicely on the rising bulkhead in front of the cubby holes. They have the additional pillar loop on the belt to fix up at the rear quarter window/roof pillar. I’ve bought some additional fixing point reinforcement plates to go in behind the reel mounts. Because they are gravity locked to dispense the belt in the vertical position they don’t have the adjustment knobs on the reels and end up being a lot more compact. I’ll post the fitting of them up in my thread once they’re finished.

The ones that Kieron has posted require the reel to be mounted up in the C pillar or strut tower. I couldn’t get this design to work in my head to be honest. Mounting on the strut towers would have resulted in the belt pulling down on the shoulder area. This picture shows the two differences I’m attempting to explain:

B6A0E1AA-158E-414A-9723-AD0274A6E7AB.png

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ahh ok, thanks. So it can happen with any S30?
Yep

If one were to present itself to me within my budget then I would absolutely consider one, but I've not seen too many in the last year like that. The ones in the US always seem to be 2+2s, and the few I've seen here have either been wrecks or out of my budget.

The 260z is a single year car in the US ('74), they moved to the 280z in '75 while we kept the 260z name and engine size.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Seatbelts - the 240 I drove had the strange vintage ones where you somehow (I didn't figure it out, and the owner doesn't use them!) clip one thing into another clip and they both go into a 3rd part?! It had barely any give in it - not sure it was even an inertia reel?). I think she would run a mile if that was the offering. So would a 280z have a more modern inertia reel seatbelt as you'd in find in 80s and onwards cars? I'm aware I could probably fit more modern seatbelts to a 240z, but its just another thing to pay for.

Worth pointing out that if you get in a serious crash in a classic Zed, you're basically going to be pâté inside it regardless of what belts are fitted.

Last edited:

status

Well-Known Forum User
I don’t know your budget Yeah a uk car will be expensive also if your in no rush then the right car will pop along

Paul_S

Club Member
The Securon’s that I mentioned above (500/30) are almost a perfect bolt in fit. The reels are able to fit nicely on the rising bulkhead in front of the cubby holes. They have the additional pillar loop on the belt to fix up at the rear quarter window/roof pillar. I’ve bought some additional fixing point reinforcement plates to go in behind the reel mounts. Because they are gravity locked to dispense the belt in the vertical position they don’t have the adjustment knobs on the reels and end up being a lot more compact. I’ll post the fitting of them up in my thread once they’re finished.

The ones that Kieron has posted require the reel to be mounted up in the C pillar or strut tower. I couldn’t get this design to work in my head to be honest. Mounting on the strut towers would have resulted in the belt pulling down on the shoulder area. This picture shows the two differences I’m attempting to explain:

View attachment 50563
Good info. Thanks. I'll look out for your post :)

Robotsan

Club Member
Worth pointing out that if you get in a serious crash in a classic Zed, you're basically going to be pâté inside it regardless of what belts are fitted.

I know. It's more to convince my girlfriend to even sit in it in the first place.