Datsun 280Z -77 - Build thread

peter_s

Club Member
You were up on their Instagram as well, and why not it’s a great car you’ve got Peter.
Thanks mate! Very kind

I just sent Rob a picture of the installed axles and a pic of the car, thanking them for a great product. I'm really happy with their axles. They came back asking for more pictures and if they could put it up on their social media. They are proper Z-enthusiasts at Z Car Garage, very very cool shop.

I've not used the car much since the last track day due to shitty weather and me wanting to go through the suspension. But I've been driving some this week. Today is sprint race day! I'll bring the go pro this time. Car works really well not, getting confident in it.

FGOgjlPl.jpg

These two love riding in it! (Don't worry, it's just a few blocks they get to ride without a proper child seat...)
yD7sfbvl.jpg

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I saw Zcargarages feature of your car too, its super cool! Then again it's hardly a surprise given the noise it makes and the way you use it :coolgleam:

I really want a pair of their CV axles too now EXTRA:) I've thoroughly enjoyed Larry Chen's video interviews with Rob, he comes across as such a cool guy.

peter_s

Club Member
Thanks Woody!

I drove another sprint race yesterday. On the way there I swapped cars with friend with a restored 280z. I felt the stock axles vibrate straight away in his car! The Z Car Garage CV axles are highly recommended.

Car worked like a champ yesterday. Finally getting rid of the anxiety of driving the Z on a track, getting more and more relaxed regarding the noises it makes. I have some video of the runs, but here is a cold start in the meantime from this morning:

Then a friend with a fantastic S50 3.2 swapped E30 had some problems with his clutch hydraulics. So I lent him my car for a couple of runs:

The range of cars on these sprints are fantastic. Last night there was a race prepped Volvo 780 driving! When did you even see one of those last??

peter_s

Club Member
RealDash!
Well spotted!

For my use the ECU Master app would be a little better. But I had some connection issues with it. Real dash seems to work really well. I had some issues at first understanding how to make my own guages. Real dash seems to be a dash first and foremost, go figure, in that it's focused on showing the speedo and tacho. I want to use it as an auxiliary gauge. Took a few hours, but I think it blends in pretty nicely now. The piece of mind my tablet and what it shows me is really nice

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Well spotted!

For my use the ECU Master app would be a little better. But I had some connection issues with it. Real dash seems to work really well. I had some issues at first understanding how to make my own guages. Real dash seems to be a dash first and foremost, go figure, in that it's focused on showing the speedo and tacho. I want to use it as an auxiliary gauge. Took a few hours, but I think it blends in pretty nicely now. The piece of mind my tablet and what it shows me is really nice
Yeah I went through the same process with it - took me a few hours to get the hang of its layout and information architecture. Not helped by my small (by modern standards) phone. I really like it, much easier to log on it than taking my laptop with me.

peter_s

Club Member
Yeah I went through the same process with it - took me a few hours to get the hang of its layout and information architecture. Not helped by my small (by modern standards) phone. I really like it, much easier to log on it than taking my laptop with me.
Haven't tried logging anything yet. Will do!!

peter_s

Club Member
Time for some updates, it's been quite a while.

The car has been running and running, only some minor issues like fine rust in the tank clogging the injector filter. I clean it from time to time.

Summer has been great. Did a fun thing with my tuner. Drove the car to him and we swapped cars for a week. I took his Ascona A 16S. Had a great time with it. And he couldn't help himself after driving the Datsun, so he fixed some daily driving things with the tune. The car runs so well now in daily conditions. So smooth.

KtDm2EPl.jpg

Last weekend was a big one. They run a big Japanese car meet/trackday called Japdays at a racetrack 260km away. So me and a friend with another Z drove there.

All packed up with spares and tools:
M7AjFgXl.jpg

Weather was terrible, so I only drove two sessions. I had a bad off during my first session, but nothing damaged. I was quite close to the barrier. There was NO grip what so ever, but I can't blame it on that.

The meet was divided between a show and a trackday. My friend parked at the show and I went to the pits. I was the only older car driving on track, which made a lot of people happy:
bTXHKzCl.jpg

Ek1mTS6l.jpg

My tracks in the sand:
5vmnA8Bl.jpg

Sand everywhere...
lBViblSl.jpg

To get an idea of the conditions, my car spun the tires in third gear going almost 100mph an the straight...

Anyway, going the the car show, there were a few more Zs actually, and one of them was a real treat. One of the factory restored 72s they did in 1997!!
Just look at it. Like it left the factory in 72!
r0bLDZKl.jpg

S7ATSG1l.jpg

S9TvELzl.jpg

After the track we stayed at a friends house close by.
XiCr5AZl.jpg

My friends immaculate 280:
uQ3JNpal.jpg

9C4vtEul.jpg

And being in Sweden there is always a Volvo in a garage close by. 71 142:
ReCau0zl.jpg

O93ddxOl.jpg

Next days we drove to the last Sprint race of the season. Quite the detour, but fun. Of course my car stopped charging on the way, but I have now traced it to the black fusible link having a bad connection. So I managed to solve it so I could at least continue our adventure
HmNaLl1l.jpg

Some videos from the sprint:

Now, it's back to normal duties:
HJDBtlol.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Great stories Peter. So glad you didn't damage the car.

Loved the videos - your standing start was fantastic, such linear power too. A well sorted car.

A rally mate of mine had an ex Tony Pond Ascona - strong cars.

Last edited:

peter_s

Club Member
Great stories Peter. So glad you didn't damage the car.

Loved the videos - your standing start was fantastic, such linear power too. A well sorted car.

A rally mate of mine had an ex Tony Pond Ascona - strong cars.
Thanks Rob!

I really enjoyed the time with the Ascona. Took the whole family for a couple of excursions, something you can't do the the Z.

Shes goes off the line nicely. Good to see an S30 being used properly.
Thanks Ian. Now that the car is getting more and more sorted, I will go to the Nurburgring next year with it.