Ryan Struggles car for sale

strugrat

Club Member
Incidentally the price is basically what the ZClub valued it at. (Torque GT not aware of club valuation)

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Rob - you're right I didn't advertise it on here due to the inevitable comments from the same old people.

It does make you wonder why he didn't advertise it on here? I'm guessing he anticipated comments re price and some details. Shame really. Many of use followed the resto with interest. Decent car, decent guy.

I don't understand this mindset.

"Inevitable comments"? Any serious prospective buyer worth their salt - whether new to these cars or an old hand - is going to see the very same things.

None of the comments made so far are - as far as I can see - destructively negative or excessively nit-picking. A detail like interior vinyl that just isn't stuck down properly (all of it, not just some of it...) is an example of the Ha'porth of Tar which is letting a great car down.

Fairly easy to rectify in a few hours, and it would make such a big difference. Is it somehow taboo to point this out?

strugrat

Club Member
I don't understand this mindset.

"Inevitable comments"? Any serious prospective buyer worth their salt - whether new to these cars or an old hand - is going to see the very same things.

None of the comments made so far are - as far as I can see - destructively negative or excessively nit-picking. A detail like interior vinyl that just isn't stuck down properly (all of it, not just some of it...) is an example of the Ha'porth of Tar which is letting a great car down.

Fairly easy to rectify in a few hours, and it would make such a big difference. Is it somehow taboo to point this out?
You don't need to understand this mindset. But they are my reasons regardless.

You can see by my other response to your comments that I do understand and acknowledge your comments and in fact have discussed the very same with Torque GT so I don't necessarily include your comments (or the others for that matter) in my 'inevitable' statement. But most on here cant deny that all too often this type of thread or car do follow the same path unfortunately.

strugrat

Club Member
Ryan, everyone has said that it is a great car. So that is surely a positive for you, that doesn't happen very often. Good luck with the sale.
Oh yes I know. A big positive. I am very sad to have to let her go. I am aware of all the little things and am talking to Torque GT about getting everything rectified for the new owner.

The price was suggested by Torque GT based on what they had sold previous cars for. Substantially less than what it cost to build. Its not perfect as many people have said but come on its pretty damn good!

Rob - you're right I didn't advertise it on here due to the inevitable comments from the same old people.

I don’t think this forum would be the right place to sell a car for that sort of money. You’ll be much better off as you have with a SOR/pistonheads etc.

No one has been negative about the car, it’s lovely.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
As a former owner of this car - I followed Ryans Build with interest and i can honestly say that if i could get the funds together I would buy this again today - I think he has priced it just right !! - Good Luck Ryan

As a former owner of this car - I followed Ryans Build with interest and i can honestly say that if i could get the funds together I would buy this again today - I think he has priced it just right !! - Good Luck Ryan
Hi Col, I assume you owned the car a long time ago - 20+ years?

I've seen this written so many times 'if I had the money I'd buy it today'. £70k is a lot of money to spend on a hobby car even if it is priced as you say 'right'.

My own thoughts are that if someone is spending that sort of money they are usually the sort of person who is buying it as an investment and would want to buy from a company (like Fourways) who can offer some kind of guarantee, maybe finance and can perhaps show pictures of the restoration in their workshops. Buying cash from 'Joe Public' on a 'sold as seen' basis for a car that has been 'home built' (with the greatest respect for your work superb work Ryan) is a high risk for them. That is especially true for a car that has few others of similar condition/modification to compare with. If you were buying something like an E Type you have more information and 'competition' to base a decision on.

Investors tend to want standard cars or cars modified to a particular spec like MZR cars. Anyone wanting a modified car for ragging around and taking to shows (which this car would be great for) probably haven't got this sort of money to outlay in one go.

Just my viewpoint - I'm not passing an opinion on the car.

strugrat

Club Member
Hi Col, I assume you owned the car a long time ago - 20+ years?

I've seen this written so many times 'if I had the money I'd buy it today'. £70k is a lot of money to spend on a hobby car even if it is priced as you say 'right'.

My own thoughts are that if someone is spending that sort of money they are usually the sort of person who is buying it as an investment and would want to buy from a company (like Fourways) who can offer some kind of guarantee, maybe finance and can perhaps show pictures of the restoration in their workshops. Buying cash from 'Joe Public' on a 'sold as seen' basis for a car that has been 'home built' (with the greatest respect for your work superb work Ryan) is a high risk for them. That is especially true for a car that has few others of similar condition/modification to compare with. If you were buying something like an E Type you have more information and 'competition' to base a decision on.

Investors tend to want standard cars or cars modified to a particular spec like MZR cars. Anyone wanting a modified car for ragging around and taking to shows (which this car would be great for) probably haven't got this sort of money to outlay in one go.

Just my viewpoint - I'm not passing an opinion on the car.
I fairly certain Torque GT can arrange finance if its required. One of the many advantages of moving to SOR for higher value cars. I didn't really put the full resto on the forum but there are 1200 catalogued high resolution images with the car that document the full restoration and an itemized cost breakdown of the work performed.

I fairly certain Torque GT can arrange finance if its required. One of the many advantages of moving to SOR for higher value cars. I didn't really put the full resto on the forum but there are 1200 catalogued high resolution images with the car that document the full restoration and an itemized cost breakdown of the work performed.

it'd be worth getting the to put full engine specs/details as it'll all help. I think its a good place to use on SOR.

grb184

Club Member
It does make you wonder why he didn't advertise it on here? I'm guessing he anticipated comments re price and some details. Shame really. Many of use followed the resto with interest. Decent car, decent guy.

Front wing indicators - common error, the white Samuri at Donington last week was wrong.
Thanks for pointing out, n

Front wing indicators - common error, the white Samuri at Donington last week was wrong.
Rob,

thanks for pointing out, now corrected. Although I appear to have one tapered gasket and one flat one. So if anyone knows where I can get a single front turn indicator tapered gasket I would be grateful

Thanks
Graham

Attachments

• 4B2F0846-A26B-430F-8AD2-1E794D7933C2.jpeg
    4B2F0846-A26B-430F-8AD2-1E794D7933C2.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 3

strugrat

Club Member
it'd be worth getting the to put full engine specs/details as it'll all help. I think its a good place to use on SOR.
Thanks I have had a bit of feedback on the advert and I will send it over to them. They seem like good guys and are happy to work with me on the sale.