1975 280z Number Plate Sizing & Colour

BenjEtch

Club Member
Hi all,

I'm looking for number plates for my Z and want to make sure that I'm getting plates that are both legal and will fit nicely, especially with there not being much space at the back. Any suggestions on both sizing and colour? I'm currently looking at the following from https://www.number1plates.com/shop/builder:Screenshot 2022-05-04 at 19.10.01.png

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
This is a good thread on number plate sizes. IMO, you can be either legal or fit nicely.

status

Well-Known Forum User
I’ll measure mine if you want as I’ve got a new spare waiting to go on also you can have a smaller plate on the front which as you know on the two bits hanging down off the bumper,I put a smaller plate on both my Subaru’s which is legal ,I’ll measure them also which Will give you an idea how small you can go if you are going down that root

johnymd

Club Member
I agree with Jon. IMO you cannot have both. Its either legal or fits nicely. The legality could be argued to be "kind of legal" as in 63mm high lettering because the space does not provide for bigger and small numbering specifically being allowed for if its a 70's sports car (as in Italian cars).

BenjEtch

Club Member
Thanks for all of your replies guys, I've ended up going for these which will be temporary as I have a plate on a retention certificate that I want to put on eventually. Sizing and look is below for anyone interested and all legal. Got them from https://www.autoplatesdirect.com/ in the "legal style" section.Screenshot 2022-05-04 at 21.08.59.png

BenjEtch

Club Member
thanks for the info, will this also fit a UK 240Z.....car in resto so don't have a bench mark to start from
I would presume so, think the back end is relatively similar apart from the light assemblies being all in one. I'll upload a photo when I fit them. They're considerably smaller than standard UK size though which is great.

BenjEtch

Club Member
Looks decent, I want to add classic plates but see the website doesn’t offer this option
Yes likewise, these are temporary while I sort a reg out that I've got on a retention certificate. Didn't want to spend the money on a set of classic plates to then swap them out in a couple of months!

BenjEtch

Club Member
Mine are not quite legal for cars, but have never been questioned at MOT time.

Given the car is registered as historic and is legally allowed to run on b/w plates I think it looks ok.

I took the option on classicplatesonline.co.uk
of specifying my own dimensions
View attachment 50558
These look great, I think I'll get a set when I swap over the plates.

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Mine are not quite legal for cars, but have never been questioned at MOT time.

Given the car is registered as historic and is legally allowed to run on b/w plates I think it looks ok.

I took the option on classicplatesonline.co.uk
of specifying my own dimensions
View attachment 50558
Hi, could you send me the dimensions you used for the site as I’ve currently not got a set of old plates/ car with me to measure
Thanks

grb184

Club Member
Hi, could you send me the dimensions you used for the site as I’ve currently not got a set of old plates/ car with me to measure
Thanks
The front plate I had made was standard 20 1/2 inches by 4 1/4 inches the size of the rear was 13inches by 7inches