Ben's 280Z (Previously Owned By SacCyclone)

BenjEtch

Club Member
Hi all, this is my first post here as an owner!

I finally pulled the trigger on buying a 1975 280Z back in May from Mike aka SacCyclone (what a great guy).

I had it shipped from California to Manchester UK - arriving yesterday morning.

I have plenty of ideas for my Z and I'm sure I will be needing the help of all the knowledgeable folk on this forum as both Datsuns and EFI are new to me.

I'm planning on documenting the journey both on here and maybe even on Youtube, so will create all threads with the same "Bens' 280z" as I'm sure I will be posting and asking many things.

First things first is the decision on whether to convert to RHD or not. After speaking to a few people, I think it's not the route I'm going to go down, however, I would love to hear peoples opinions.

Few photos below.
d9375d4d-ed4f-48c1-b771-1dd053a32f3c.JPG a3cedbef-c905-437b-943e-23f0c9bb6658.JPG

SacCyclone

Club Member
Great to see the car arrived in good nic....hope all the parts arrived as well.

As others have said, I would drive it for a while and test out the areas you would like to improve upon.

First thing is to make it reliable and that means working on the fuel injection controls like the AFM and many relays that are very problematic in stock configuration. The AFM in that car has controls for the on/ off electric fuel pump relays and it needs a good tap with a mallet if your engine starts but dies right away. Better to find a work around or maybe a electric fuel pump switch which you can control....not ideal but it will get you going. Better to move to a new FI kit, carburetors, or ITB's in my opinion.

Congratulations on the arrival!!!!!!

Mike

BenjEtch

Club Member
Nice car Ben
Probably best to use it for a bit .If you fall in love with it and feel you’d like more as RHD find yourself a dash and rack and convert it.
I’m one of those guys who will always convert but many are left alone.

Yep, I think that's exactly what I'm going to do, like both you and Mike said I'm going to drive it for a bit, get it running reliably and spend the money on those aspects as well as making the car look as I want it to. Then if I'm still in two minds, look to do the conversion.

BenjEtch

Club Member
Welcome to the club. The car looks great in the Manchester sunshine!
Whereabouts are you? I could bring my 73 around and have a chat.
I'm over in Salford.
Cheers
Tony

Hahaha, when the sun does shine that is! We've been blessed for the past couple of weeks.

I'm based in Marple, Stockport but the car is in a unit about 10-15 minutes away. I Will most certainly take you up on that offer at some point as I think I will be needing all the help I can get!

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Welcome to the club, looks like a really tidy car (as you'd expect from Mike).

I wouldn't rush into a RHD conversion, if it's a good shell then why bother when you can better spend you money in more beneficial areas imo.

I'd drive it and see what you think, I've been doing that and modifying mine for the last five years since import and never looked back. Certainly not felt the need to cut it up, the LHD element has become part of the charm and experience for me. Each to their own though...

johnymd

Club Member
Car looks great. I've just recommended someone to contact you Mike. He has been looking for a s30 for sometime and I've told him you the man.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Car looks great. I've just recommended someone to contact you Mike. He has been looking for a s30 for sometime and I've told him you the man.
Thank you John,

The 5 Zed group of cars that I have been trying to buy for the last couple of months is now being threatened by a large wild fire in Northern Cali, it is very close and the fire is zero % contained so only time will tell.

I have been recovering from Covid for the last few weeks as well even though I got the vaccine last spring....it really sucks but at least I was spared the hospital seen and just need to quarantine for another few days before the doctor says I can leave the house again.

On a bright note the 72 240 at the body shop now has the new sheet metal on it from APS Andy and it turned out beautiful. The parts are being aligned and painted so hope to update that post next week and have the car back to my shop soon.

Cheers, Mike

uk66fastback

Club Member
Sorry to hear you’ve had COVID Mike, and we all wish you a full recovery. Do you still have that rare Ford V8 pick-up you rescued? If so, what are the plans for it?

SacCyclone

Club Member
Sorry to hear you’ve had COVID Mike, and we all wish you a full recovery. Do you still have that rare Ford V8 pick-up you rescued? If so, what are the plans for it?
Thank you for your well wishes Mike....it is much appreciated.

The Ford Lightening was sold and is living the high life in Los Angelas.

Mike

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Hi all, this is my first post here as an owner!

I finally pulled the trigger on buying a 1975 280Z back in May from Mike aka SacCyclone (what a great guy).

I had it shipped from California to Manchester UK - arriving yesterday morning.

I have plenty of ideas for my Z and I'm sure I will be needing the help of all the knowledgeable folk on this forum as both Datsuns and EFI are new to me.

I'm planning on documenting the journey both on here and maybe even on Youtube, so will create all threads with the same "Bens' 280z" as I'm sure I will be posting and asking many things.

First things first is the decision on whether to convert to RHD or not. After speaking to a few people, I think it's not the route I'm going to go down, however, I would love to hear peoples opinions.

Few photos below.
View attachment 46412 View attachment 46413
Hey Ben

Great car, looks like a solid project
Look forward to your YouTube vids, get your dad involved!

Martin

BenjEtch

Club Member
Quick update on the Z as it's been a while! Various things made the whole process of getting my Z back on the road take a lot longer (FRP going into liquidation etc!) But, this is where we're up to:

- BC coilovers welded & installed
- Billet aluminium rear control arms fitted - bought from a Z club member! (had a little incident with my previous ones):rolleyes:
- New 240z style front air dam from Classic Composites in France I think?
- Skillard grill installed with bumper brackets etc

The Z is currently in the garage having a wheel alignment and final adjustments made to the suspension, air dam fitment etc, so we should hopefully have it on the road soon, can't wait!

I also have quite a few spare parts for anyone interested, I'll also post in parts for sale section with photos:

- BRE Style Front Spoiler, Ducted Fiberglass, 9/74-78 260Z-280Z
- 2x Rear Control Arms (One is slightly bent) With NEW Poly Bushes
- 4x Springs + Rubbers and Tops
- Metal Front Air Dam and Grill 280z

Attachments

• IMG_9268.JPG
    IMG_9268.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9781.JPG
    IMG_9781.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

BenjEtch

Club Member
The one I have for sale is the original 280z style one, see the picture below:

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 13

Robotsan

Club Member
Quick update on the Z as it's been a while! Various things made the whole process of getting my Z back on the road take a lot longer (FRP going into liquidation etc!) But, this is where we're up to:

- BC coilovers welded & installed
- Billet aluminium rear control arms fitted - bought from a Z club member! (had a little incident with my previous ones):rolleyes:
- New 240z style front air dam from Classic Composites in France I think?
- Skillard grill installed with bumper brackets etc

The Z is currently in the garage having a wheel alignment and final adjustments made to the suspension, air dam fitment etc, so we should hopefully have it on the road soon, can't wait!

I also have quite a few spare parts for anyone interested, I'll also post in parts for sale section with photos:

- BRE Style Front Spoiler, Ducted Fiberglass, 9/74-78 260Z-280Z
- 2x Rear Control Arms (One is slightly bent) With NEW Poly Bushes
- 4x Springs + Rubbers and Tops
- Metal Front Air Dam and Grill 280z

I see I guilt-tripped you into doing an update, haha!