10k auto 280z on ebay

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Most deposits are refundable if the car is not as advertised when you view but that is at most new and used vehicle sales, not classics so I'm not sure it would hold up - however you can always ask the seller to confirm.

Personally I'd wait, if 2 people went to view and haven't put a deposit down on it, why not?

I'd also hold off putting up posts like this on any cars you see as there are quite a few people viewing this forum that would see it then be attracted to the car itself. Better to PM some of the more well known members and ask for an opinion.

Dan

Robotsan

Club Member
Really? I've never heard that. I would've thought most dealers would take your deposit and that's that.

You've got me thinking now..

Looks like you're correct. This is from https://www.themotorombudsman.org/distance-sales-faqs

Screenshot_20220413-074302.png
Most deposits are refundable if the car is not as advertised when you view but that is at most new and used vehicle sales, not classics so I'm not sure it would hold up - however you can always ask the seller to confirm.

Personally I'd wait, if 2 people went to view and haven't put a deposit down on it, why not?

I'd also hold off putting up posts like this on any cars you see as there are quite a few people viewing this forum that would see it then be attracted to the car itself. Better to PM some of the more well known members and ask for an opinion.

Dan

Yeah, and if I were the seller I'd say nope not refundable just to try my luck.

Not sure - perhaps they needed to check with their wife first! :)

And yeah, that thought crossed my mind last night too, but I didn't really start this thread thinking I'd want to buy it - was more a fact finding mission to find out if the manual swap is viable, and whether people thought the car looked decent. You guys basically persuaded me into it! ;)

I will in future mither privately if I see something I'm serious about buying.

All advice hugely appreciated, cheers.

Robotsan

Club Member
If people went to see it, why wouldn’t they have put a deposit on it there and then?

Yeah not sure - perhaps they needed to release some funds from somewhere or make some checks. Will's exact words were "I think that the car has probably sold as I'm waiting for a deposit / payment off one viewer and have another who viewed it on Monday who also called and has said he wants to buy it if it does not sell".

Maybe Will is the type of seller that sticks to his word and gives viewers first dibs, in the order they view it in.

I've just called again to see what the craic is, but he doesn't get in to work till half 10 apparently.

Btw, the red one in the background is going to be for sale soon too. He said: "The red car is a 73 240Z and i will probably list it next week, it's another project car, ex California, it drives very well and is solid but has aged poor paint, a tatty interior but a great starting point, I will be asking £17,000 ish for it."

Out of my budget currently but might suit someone?

yellowz

Club Member
Time to hold my hands up then - it was me!

I was in touch with Will and he gave me first refusal as I was travelling a long way to get there. Someone was just leaving having viewed it when I arrived yesterday and he made an offer there and then. Will would not accept the offer until I'd had my chance to look at it. He definitely is that type of seller.

The reason for not leaving the deposit straight away was as was guessed at - a conversation had to take place bartering a new Z for various promises of jobs around the house - garden - and whatever else my Missus could get from me before saying yes. I'm poorer now in more ways than one.

Car gets here next week so will do the obligatory pics then. It looked solid and passed a magnet test in most areas, has had some welding done and the paint job is not spectacular. Will take a bit of getting used to a left hooker auto, driven most options but not this one before. Did drive it some - sound track is all there:cool: Going to a mechanic for him to have a laugh at and make sure it's safe and then will be on the road pending running repairs and changes. Will stick with auto for now.

Robotsan

Club Member
Time to hold my hands up then - it was me!

I was in touch with Will and he gave me first refusal as I was travelling a long way to get there. Someone was just leaving having viewed it when I arrived yesterday and he made an offer there and then. Will would not accept the offer until I'd had my chance to look at it. He definitely is that type of seller.

The reason for not leaving the deposit straight away was as was guessed at - a conversation had to take place bartering a new Z for various promises of jobs around the house - garden - and whatever else my Missus could get from me before saying yes. I'm poorer now in more ways than one.

Car gets here next week so will do the obligatory pics then. It looked solid and passed a magnet test in most areas, has had some welding done and the paint job is not spectacular. Will take a bit of getting used to a left hooker auto, driven most options but not this one before. Did drive it some - sound track is all there:cool: Going to a mechanic for him to have a laugh at and make sure it's safe and then will be on the road pending running repairs and changes. Will stick with auto for now.

Haha excellent! Glad it went to someone on here :) How far did you travel for it?

I thought Will was like that - I spoke to him at length about the 2 cars this morning and he seems a really nice bloke. Your 280 seems like a bargain, I'll look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Glad my intuition about permission from the other half was right too! :)