Early 1972 240Z with a Cali punt in 1992

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
They weren't popular back in the day - well, you don't see many now - I guess a fair few owners swapped them for black down the years. Yours needs some work Sean - but that's the challenge.

I need challenges and projects....unfortunately, mine won't be staying white inside as my 'cunning plan' requires boring black....never mind, our 280Z keeps its' white interior - we love it but I luckily 'lost' the speakers....:puke:

Attachments

• IMG_20201126_123135237.jpg
    IMG_20201126_123135237.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 85093422_630414214381225_4580550108281569280_n.jpg
    85093422_630414214381225_4580550108281569280_n.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 41
  • 84946352_630414397714540_665269384515682304_n.jpg
    84946352_630414397714540_665269384515682304_n.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 42

SacCyclone

Club Member
White interiors are where it’s at! You don’t get many 110 cars with it! Yes, it’s more hassle to look after but that’s the price you pay for exclusivity!

Ngw2c9d3.jpg

Glad the surgery went well Mike.
Yes Mike, I have always loved the interior of your car. It just looks so bright and fresh.
It really just comes down to sourcing all the items I need in the correct shade of white to match, with black I don't really have that issue.
Thanks for the well wishes.

SacCyclone

Club Member
So I have been getting back to working on this zed, interior is almost done except for the front seats and the carpet kit which I already have. Back under the bonnet today to replace hoses, water pump, thermostat, and general pressure wash of the engine compartment. Ordering more hoses tomorrow from MSA so should arrive next week.

Very impressed with the new drop in photo the site has now, much easier and faster.

DSjzawEXTauCFn9D2MRjow.jpg

HrKX+FWnTRylrfqQg4fqVQ.jpg

%xmaUD5SRGSrgoqiJf0pkA.jpg

1djeyoWcSeCjkcSHx22CaQ.jpgNOD7r1o6RkeT0veLuqTqpw.jpg

irfexxLFQ2mo3KLjGntTaA.jpg

dcrobbo

Club Member
Thanks for the update Mike, great to see such nice original car and lovely to see that you are managing to get back working on the car again.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Ordered a new radiator from my local rad shop, brass 3 row from China with partial fan shroud. It of course arrived without the partial shroud so I had the shop take the shroud off the old radiator and solder to new one. Installed some new hoses and ran up to temp with no leaks so I was happy.
Also replaced a headlight that was non-op with a new one and repaired some wires and connectors that were repaired poorly. Will take out for a street tour to prove things out and then back to the interior seats, carpet, and center console install.

Still need some more clean up of the engine compartment but looks pretty decent.

F6%TmDqNQ3+30QVucUYGWg.jpg6NCZe3yXSRmtgUC3TihwRw.jpg

SacCyclone

Club Member
After the center console was installed I found that the radio would turn on however I could not get any sound out of the speaker in the hatch. I removed the side marker light in the rear as I had to replace the bulb and I found that I could access the speaker wires from that spot.....bummer I did not have a speakers laying around so off to the internet and Z club forums to search for a suitable replacement speaker which I found and ordered on Amazon. The speaker has to be a 5 1/4 round and shallow as there is little space behind the plastic panel. The nice part was that the replacement speaker's 4 mounting holes were the same as the stock speaker.

After I received the new speaker I connected it to the factory wires via the side marker light location just to confirm the speaker was the problem......it was.

I removed the rear tail light plastic panel inside the hatch first, then removed the nut holding the hatch strut bracket, then was able to pull out the black plastic side panel which covered the speaker and bracket. Removed speaker to work bench and replaced with new speaker. I cut the factory speaker wires off the rear of the factory speaker as I wanted to plug them back into the wire harness.

Got it all replaced and now I have a working radio......YEA. The factory power antenna works as well so happy about that.

JcNJH4P0QzyI+7O73Lhqsg.jpg

0j59LLGcQ1e6ZBfLNjxQUA.jpg

qETS3SdFTWK9G0+Fw8ZkGA.jpg

IJOTblZxQLWu2BB0MIalwA.jpg

Sl7KuPKgTPyUnj1tk8eKdw.jpg6IguoWudQC+YXkfYK9m%lw.jpg

SacCyclone

Club Member
Just returned from detail shop today and I am pretty pleased with the way she turned out.
Yes, the shade of red (orange) is slightly different on the repainted passenger side front fender and the original paint hood off another car but all in all I am happy with it.

I know others will say "why not just paint the whole car" but to do it really correct would involve $10,000 to $15,000 and many more months on my end.

The market for a reasonable price Z car with little rust is much larger than the market for a show quality factory car,,,,, and it seems others like to make the car their own with upgrades so it makes no sense to restore to factory and spend all the money to do it. IMO

A few pics, and now to start the finishing of new door panels, new carpet, hubcaps, new emblems etc.

Q752azPMRq+NkSntebPxfA.jpgCoxOSMJKSsWTVYkb91U7yw.jpgtRl5ciDoQ0+0U3hFdnX+tw.jpgFImFMVEiR+KHGkzErpBIRg.jpg

Robotsan

Club Member
Just returned from detail shop today and I am pretty pleased with the way she turned out.
Yes, the shade of red (orange) is slightly different on the repainted passenger side front fender and the original paint hood off another car but all in all I am happy with it.

I know others will say "why not just paint the whole car" but to do it really correct would involve $10,000 to $15,000 and many more months on my end.

The market for a reasonable price Z car with little rust is much larger than the market for a show quality factory car,,,,, and it seems others like to make the car their own with upgrades so it makes no sense to restore to factory and spend all the money to do it. IMO

A few pics, and now to start the finishing of new door panels, new carpet, hubcaps, new emblems etc.

View attachment 53224View attachment 53221View attachment 53222View attachment 53223

Wow that has come up incredibly well Mike! Totally agree about the paint and the market.
I think with the mileage on this car and how good it's turned out you should be asking more than the numbers you mentioned to me earlier in the year!

SacCyclone

Club Member
Since I had to replace the front wing due to the punt, it was sure nice to have a bundle of saved rub guards to match the piece I needed. No foul since the new old replacement wing already had the holes to accept rub strips.

Nice to be installing new emblems on the car as well. By the way, the front wing emblems (DATSUN) are reproduced in metal now and come with barrel clips too. They fit very nicely and happy with the results. See business card in pic for hector datsun68rhd@hotmail.com. He is on US Ebay and charged me $120 includes shipping for 2.

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

Robotsan

Club Member
Since I had to replace the front wing due to the punt, it was sure nice to have a bundle of saved rub guards to match the piece I needed. No foul since the new old replacement wing already had the holes to accept rub strips.

Nice to be installing new emblems on the car as well. By the way, the front wing emblems (DATSUN) are reproduced in metal now and come with barrel clips too. They fit very nicely and happy with the results. See business card in pic for hector datsun68rhd@hotmail.com. He is on US Ebay and charged me $120 includes shipping for 2.

View attachment 53436

View attachment 53437

View attachment 53438

View attachment 53439

Very satisfying Mike! How far off finished is it now? And what wheels are you putting on it? Or have you got original hub caps?

SacCyclone

Club Member
Very satisfying Mike! How far off finished is it now? And what wheels are you putting on it? Or have you got original hub caps?
Thanks for the props.....

I have original hubcaps to go with the wheels. Always wonder if I should add the Panasport wheels and tires I already have plus front and rear spoiler too....but where do you stop? I figure it will be almost factory stock so someone else can make it the car they want.

Need to install the carpet kit I bought from Romas on FB and Install the new door panels I bought from Hung Vu.

It's getting to the end so maybe a few weeks before I can take the final pics and some driving videos.....then off to a new owner?

I have been working lots of hours on the 69 Mustang Fastback but it is running and driving now so on the downhill with that one too.

YP8ECr6HSWiLRIcAQg+efQ.jpg

hjeCOfs9QS+rcd1Gbmql4A.jpg

GrNUg0XrQd2b3hSNOAEJww.jpg

Robotsan

Club Member
Thanks for the props.....

I have original hubcaps to go with the wheels. Always wonder if I should add the Panasport wheels and tires I already have plus front and rear spoiler too....but where do you stop? I figure it will be almost factory stock so someone else can make it the car they want.

Need to install the carpet kit I bought from Romas on FB and Install the new door panels I bought from Hung Vu.

It's getting to the end so maybe a few weeks before I can take the final pics and some driving videos.....then off to a new owner?

I have been working lots of hours on the 69 Mustang Fastback but it is running and driving now so on the downhill with that one too.

View attachment 53440

View attachment 53441

View attachment 53442

Wow, that Mustang is badass. Looks evil!
Is that front splitter aftermarket or original?

And surprised to see a kind of strut bracing on it that looks original too?

I think you're right to keep the 240z as it is, because like you say people have different tastes and the new owner may want to take it in a certain direction. You could always end up negotiating with them and adding various bits like the wheels or spoiler, like you did for me. But best not to just put them on I agree.

Seems like a car that could fetch a lot on BAT - is it too much hassle though?

SacCyclone

Club Member
Wow, that Mustang is badass. Looks evil!
Is that front splitter aftermarket or original?

And surprised to see a kind of strut bracing on it that looks original too?

I think you're right to keep the 240z as it is, because like you say people have different tastes and the new owner may want to take it in a certain direction. You could always end up negotiating with them and adding various bits like the wheels or spoiler, like you did for me. But best not to just put them on I agree.

Seems like a car that could fetch a lot on BAT - is it too much hassle though?
The front air dam is a Boss 302 piece that was re-popped by Scott Drake I think....I do like it.
The Scott Drake Export Brace is an aftermarket piece to stiffen up the front end along with the 1 1/8 ARB and 620lb front springs.
Thanks for the comments

uk66fastback

Club Member
Weren’t those export braces standard equipment Mike? I’ve forgotten most of the Mustang stuff I used to know … !

SacCyclone

Club Member
Weren’t those export braces standard equipment Mike? I’ve forgotten most of the Mustang stuff I used to know … !
Factory brace included a left and right single brace that attached at the firewall and shock tower. These are triangulated single piece braces. Maybe some of the shelby cars and boss type cars had these as standard but not sure.
Mike

SacCyclone

Club Member
Seats installed along with "Romas" black carpets which I really like.

Going to install moisture barrier this week behind door cards and then the new door cards.

Valve adjustment next week and photos and she will be ready to roll.

tempImageSPG5w7.pngtempImageneGIK0.png

tempImageifVFrB.png

Almost done with the other project and that one is now headed to Montana to run with the other Mustangs...

tempImage2IKV44.png

SacCyclone

Club Member
Mustang has moved on so back to the ZED today.
The new re-pop door cards from Hung Vu on FB are pretty nice looking but they are not plug and play. Needed moved the clip holes on almost every one to line up with the holes in the door for clip attachment. I ended up using some of the Q-Bond to secure the clips on the back of the door cards and after a few hours of on and off I was able to get it all lined up.
Turned out a treat and I'm happy with it. Now I need to do the other side.
BTW i used a shower curtain and the 3M adhesive strips for a moisture barrier behind the door cards.

41D7857A-337A-4DC6-8375-72584EF4391A.jpegtempImageGn53UC.png

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Mustang has moved on so back to the ZED today.
The new re-pop door cards from Hung Vu on FB are pretty nice looking but they are not plug and play. Needed moved the clip holes on almost every one to line up with the holes in the door for clip attachment. I ended up using some of the Q-Bond to secure the clips on the back of the door cards and after a few hours of on and off I was able to get it all lined up.
Turned out a treat and I'm happy with it. Now I need to do the other side.
BTW i used a shower curtain and the 3M adhesive strips for a moisture barrier behind the door cards.

View attachment 54285
What's happening with that chrome-strip Mike ?