What did you do to your Z this week?

uk66fastback

Club Member
Nothing, as it's been sitting in my mate's mum's garage since August 7 ... I drove it over there fine and it then refused to even turn over. So we pushed it in and there it sits ...
Having an extension done on the house and the space in my garage is occupied by lots of stuff for the next month.
Not sure on what is causing the starter not to turn ... maybe a fuse? Battery is fine of course. Fusable link is still good ...

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Nothing, as it's been sitting in my mate's mum's garage since August 7 ... I drove it over there fine and it then refused to even turn over. So we pushed it in and there it sits ...
Having an extension done on the house and the space in my garage is occupied by lots of stuff for the next month.
Not sure on what is causing the starter not to turn ... maybe a fuse? Battery is fine of course. Fusable link is still good ...
If you keep the key in the 'start' position, does the starter or wiring smoke after 10 seconds?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
My 4/70 HLS30U bodyshell is in paint. @Fourways Engineering have done a lovely job again.

Even though this was a great bodyshell to start with, it still needed a lot of work and many hours were spent on small repairs (like an 'oil-canned' and split rear valance, for example) which make all the difference.

The fibreglass doors fit beautifully. The fibreglass bonnet is painted but not yet re-attached and there's still a little work to do on the hinge attachments for the fibreglass tailgate.

I'm super, super happy with it. Felt like I wanted to bring it home and put it under the Christmas tree...

20211221_114625.jpg 20211221_114505.jpg 20211221_115134.jpg 20211221_115119.jpg 20211221_114909.jpg 20211221_115023.jpg 20211221_141458.jpg

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'm super, super happy with it. Felt like I wanted to bring it home and put it under the Christmas tree...

Why have parts of it painted black - planning on zero trim ? And then leaving the rear suspension adjustable plate raw stainless steel ?:confused:

RHside headlight cone looks to be a lighter colour than the wing and, perhaps I'm mistaken but it's missing 1x ?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Why have parts of it painted black - planning on zero trim ?

I'm replicating the Works rally test cars, which were built - essentially - as 432-Rs with L-series engines, and the majority of the interior on those cars was painted satin black. The car will have full trim, but - again, replicating the Works rally test cars - 'Z-Std'./'Standard' trim (as opposed to 'Z-DX'/'Deluxe' trim). That means fitted rubber mats and no carpet.

And then leaving the rear suspension adjustable plate raw stainless steel ?

This car has not got, and will not get, anything resembling "...rear suspension adjustable plate stainless steel". I have no idea what exactly you are seeing.

RHside headlight cone looks to be a lighter colour than the wing...

It isn't.

...and, perhaps I'm mistaken but it's missing 1x ?

Well spotted. You will also notice that the front lower corners, centre valance, scuttle panel, inspection lids, bonnet and tailgate are also not attached to the body.

Don't worry. I've seen them in the vicinity (being buffed and polished), and they are even the same colour.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'm replicating the Works rally test cars, which were built - essentially - as 432-Rs with L-series engines, and the majority of the interior on those cars was painted satin black. The car will have full trim, but - again, replicating the Works rally test cars - 'Z-Std'./'Standard' trim (as opposed to 'Z-DX'/'Deluxe' trim). That means fitted rubber mats and no carpet.

This car has not got, and will not get, anything resembling "...rear suspension adjustable plate stainless steel". I have no idea what exactly you are seeing.

3rd photo (rear 1/4 view) must be the light reflecting off the strut top - looks shiny as if a plate welded on !

Wow - great project like a real-life jigsaw puzzle - one of those of which the image isn't found on the box.

I have a modest plan to build a Z432-R tribute and replica, copy and other such words will have nothing to do with it.

Makesy

Club Member
What's better than 1 Z?

2 Zs!

I bought another 240z recently (which some of you will recognise once I get round to posting about it).

Firstly though I'm insulating the garage to try and counter the chilly weather.

In moving things around, I managed to loosen the dizzy on Z #1 (which was already too loose anyway) so it's thrown the timing out and now she won't start. Go figure!

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I have a modest plan to build a Z432-R tribute and replica, copy and other such words will have nothing to do with it.

What would a "Z432-R tribute" consist of if it does not replicate or copy? Sounds like a paint job and not much else.

I notice a trend of people building - or talking about building - "tribute" (?) cars, but apparently knowing little to nothing about what they think they are paying tribute to.

Exhibit Number One: A gentleman called Sung Kang (apparently he's an actor in a popular movie franchise?) commissioned a "Rally Datsun 240Z" as 'a homage to the Datsun 240Z 1971 East African Safari Rally car' (sic):

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43362...-by-storm-but-theres-way-more-to-it-than-that

It looks like a confused mess to me. The automotive equivalent of Chicken Tikka Masala, Paella, coconut sorbet, Eton Mess and a fried breakfast all on one plate, washed down with a Mango Lassi, Guinness and red wine cocktail.

Robbie J

Club Member
What would a "Z432-R tribute" consist of if it does not replicate or copy? Sounds like a paint job and not much else.

I notice a trend of people building - or talking about building - "tribute" (?) cars, but apparently knowing little to nothing about what they think they are paying tribute to.

Exhibit Number One: A gentleman called Sung Kang (apparently he's an actor in a popular movie franchise?) commissioned a "Rally Datsun 240Z" as 'a homage to the Datsun 240Z 1971 East African Safari Rally car' (sic):

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43362...-by-storm-but-theres-way-more-to-it-than-that

It looks like a confused mess to me. The automotive equivalent of Chicken Tikka Masala, Paella, coconut sorbet, Eton Mess and a fried breakfast all on one plate, washed down with a Mango Lassi, Guinness and red wine cocktail.
He has white 240Z as well https://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/02...IaNeytlICs4b6hX4pL6gChEuSE0KCeDMnRu-qn6f7VTcB

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User

datsfun

Club Member

Looks like even Mr Nissan is confused as to the perceived interpretation of tribute / homage ? :smoke:

jukerallyheritageconcept5-source.jpg

One mans food is anothers poison and all that jazz. It would be a boring dining table if we all picked bangers and mash from menu.

I for one like this build and agree its not to everyone's taste. Its individual and as you rightly point out a bit if a mish-:cool:mash of styles and influences.

Let's celebrate that. :D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Liking me to Mr Kang (he of the funny hand salute or a mutation of Spocks' "live long and prosper") is big blow under belt Alan !:boxing:

The guy commissioned one of the ugliest cars and I'd hoped he'd have developed more taste but probably over a beer or two, someone suggested do a rallye replica but all we see is a perverted Samuri with a side salad of MZR interior.

Ah, you want your bacon grilled both sides :

if I call it a copy or (dare I even mention it ? I do...) 'replica' you and others will at least look for an S20 inside and whereas an RB could be dressed up as such, my plan is to stay true to a period engine so yes, it does sound like a paint-job and not much else especially with a stripped interior but believe me it'll be executed with more good taste than we see 'outre-mer'.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Looks like even Mr Nissan is confused as to the perceived interpretation of tribute / homage ?

On the contrary. I think they've got the definition down pat. If that thing (bearing in mind it doesn't even exist, as it is a CGI) isn't a good example of how a company can pay tribute/homage to its own history, then what is? I think it is a clever bit of thought-provoking fun. It puts some important Z-related Nissan history in front of a lot of people who won't otherwise know about it. Textbook ad work.

I for one like this build and agree its not to everyone's taste. Its individual and as you rightly point out a bit if a mish-:cool:mash of styles and influences.

Let's celebrate that.

He can build what he likes (or rather, other people can build what he cooked up after his Google-based 'research') and good luck to him. What I object to mainly is the idea that the car is any kind of "tribute" to (as they claim) the car which won the 1971 E.A. Safari Rally. I see - literally - no connection whatsoever. They simply do not seem to 'get it'. I don't think that's something to celebrate. If anything it is somewhat disrespectful. The whole thing comes off as typical SEMA-related commercial hype. I'm surprised it hasn't got the usual 'shopping list' parts supplier graphics down the side of it, or one of those false jeopardy TV shows where they rush to meet a deadline.

if I call it a copy or (dare I even mention it ? I do...) 'replica' you and others will at least look for an S20 inside and whereas an RB could be dressed up as such, my plan is to stay true to a period engine so yes, it does sound like a paint-job and not much else especially with a stripped interior but believe me it'll be executed with more good taste than we see 'outre-mer'.

That's why I asked. These words (copy/replica/tribute/evocation/lookalike/fake etc etc) are moveable feasts anyway, so trying to pin down a true definition is probably a waste of time. But still, the words 'replica' and 'lookalike' at least seem to have an ocean of space between them and I'm pretty sure the Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica definition is long lost.

A long time ago in Japan I owned a Honda CBR400-RR, and Honda said that that one of those Rs was an abbreviation of the word 'Replica'. Like Frazer Nash, I guess that was within their gift as manufacturers of the original. But if I - as a private individual - attempt to 'replicate' something then I feel I should at least make an effort to replicate the essential, the essence of the original, as much as is possible. So, for me it has to be a lot more than a paint job.

I don't see how you can do an adequate job of capturing the essence of a 432, let alone a 432-R, without something very close to the correct drivetrain.

3rd photo (rear 1/4 view) must be the light reflecting off the strut top - looks shiny as if a plate welded on !

Wow - great project like a real-life jigsaw puzzle - one of those of which the image isn't found on the box.

There's a nice engine that'd suit here

https://bhauction.com/en/auction/co...lots/lots/engine-for-nissan-s20-2-6l-tuning-1