White G Nose auction ( and a yeller/lime one with wire wheels)

You obviously know this make /model well I do not doubt but this car is far from a project - it’s rust free and rock solid , it’s a far better car then the pictures show , I agree the wheels are not right but that’s how it is . I’ve been in the trade nearly 40 years and I think I know a good car from a bad car by now .
From what I’ve seen advertised the price isn’t out the way , if it was a RHD it would obviously be more .
Like I’ve said earlier , anyone is welcome to look and then give a fair appraisal- it can’t be done by a few pics from an arm chair ( this is what I meant by the comment ) no offence intended by the way .

I don't think it would really be worth much more in RHD, it seems LHD cars here sell just as well.

Perhaps US restorations are not always to the to the same standard as elsewhere although I know of some fantastic cars...a more accurate description of this car is 'honest car, good base for a project or can be used as is after an overhaul' but then you'd have trouble justifying a £25k price tag for a wrong-wheel drive.

They're all RWD....

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You obviously know this make /model well I do not doubt but this car is far from a project - it’s rust free and rock solid , it’s a far better car then the pictures show , I agree the wheels are not right but that’s how it is . I’ve been in the trade nearly 40 years and I think I know a good car from a bad car by now .
From what I’ve seen advertised the price isn’t out the way , if it was a RHD it would obviously be more .
Like I’ve said earlier , anyone is welcome to look and then give a fair appraisal- it can’t be done by a few pics from an arm chair ( this is what I meant by the comment ) no offence intended by the way .

I'm not offended :), I have very thick skin to have stayed on here. We obviously don't see the same issues in the same photo of the same car - you have the benefit of knowing it in reality...good luck with the sale.

uk66fastback

Club Member
It’s rust free and rock solid , it’s a far better car than the pictures show.

Then, with all due respect, you need to show some pics which DO show the condition as, rightly or wrongly, these don’t as can be evidenced from the comments.

I think I misread the ebay ad as ‘restored to a high standard’ rather than ‘repainted’ which it might well be. Apart from the seat covers (why recover seats and put the old rusty bolts back in?) what has been restored inside, anything?

The price is too high in my opinion, sorry.

Last edited:

Blueandwhite66

Forum User
I didn’t do the work on the car so I can’t answer you seat question and to be honest I didn’t even notice until you pointed it out , 10 minute job to replace or paint so no big deal .
As far as the value is concerned we can argue to the cows come home , your not a buyer and don’t like the car so you will value it low but from what I see advertised it think the price isn’t far off - obviously serious offers and px are welcomed , it’s even open to offers on eBay .
You think it’s too high so what’s your valuation?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
As far as the value is concerned we can argue to the cows come home , your not a buyer and don’t like the car so you will value it low but from what I see advertised it think the price isn’t far off - obviously serious offers and px are welcomed , it’s even open to offers on eBay . You think it’s too high so what’s your valuation?

I believe it too to be 'repainted' and not 'restored' - please bear in mind that as the crazies for these cars, 'restored' to US means stripped down to nothing and rebuilt...nothing less. Otherwise it's repaired, resprayed, refreshed...etc

No, not a buyer but yet would prefer to see high values as that means in the event of something dreadful happening to mine, I might actually at least get my money back and you're the seller who obviously wants the price to be high....so there we are BOTH wanting the price to be high - ok !:)

You can also understand that here, we get a lot of enquiries from buyers asking our advice on this advert and that - there is a lot of that instant and sometimes short-term traffic on here but invariably, the cars bought turn up here as owners are looking for advice including where to find parts, how to do 'this and that' etc

So, you have the perfect right to advertise the car how you wish and for how much you wish; basing it upon advertised prices can be a sound tactic - we here are obviously better informed as to which cars have genuinely sold and freqently know for how much - how ? We ask them, simples ;)

So finally, we both want to see high (er) values, you want the highest with no comebacks, we want to see people get that for which they paid - a fair price. If they get a 'baragin', they're lucky on someones' bad day or they're such a hard-nosed negociator, no-one stood a chance !EXTRA:D

A valuation on your car - where is the clubs' insurance valuation officer ?:conehead:

I believe it too to be 'repainted' and not 'restored' - please bear in mind that as the crazies for these cars, 'restored' to US means stripped down to nothing and rebuilt...nothing less. Otherwise it's repaired, resprayed, refreshed...etc

No, not a buyer but yet would prefer to see high values as that means in the event of something dreadful happening to mine, I might actually at least get my money back and you're the seller who obviously wants the price to be high....so there we are BOTH wanting the price to be high - ok !:)

You can also understand that here, we get a lot of enquiries from buyers asking our advice on this advert and that - there is a lot of that instant and sometimes short-term traffic on here but invariably, the cars bought turn up here as owners are looking for advice including where to find parts, how to do 'this and that' etc

So, you have the perfect right to advertise the car how you wish and for how much you wish; basing it upon advertised prices can be a sound tactic - we here are obviously better informed as to which cars have genuinely sold and freqently know for how much - how ? We ask them, simples ;)

So finally, we both want to see high (er) values, you want the highest with no comebacks, we want to see people get that for which they paid - a fair price. If they get a 'baragin', they're lucky on someones' bad day or they're such a hard-nosed negociator, no-one stood a chance !EXTRA:D

A valuation on your car - where is the clubs' insurance valuation officer ?:conehead:

you need to donate £1 to the forum for every time you use an emoji.

Valuations are for members.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I didn’t do the work on the car so I can’t answer you seat question and to be honest I didn’t even notice until you pointed it out , 10 minute job to replace or paint so no big deal .
As far as the value is concerned we can argue to the cows come home , your not a buyer and don’t like the car so you will value it low but from what I see advertised it think the price isn’t far off - obviously serious offers and px are welcomed , it’s even open to offers on eBay .
You think it’s too high so what’s your valuation?

I didn’t have a specific seat question, I was just interested to find out what other interior work had been done, if any. Or is it all original and 50 years old?

I think buyers would sell cars more easily if they put the work in to get them UK registered instead of leaving it to the buyer. My impression is that these roll off the boat and are up for sale before the ink’s dry on the NOVA form …

There seem to be a few cars up for sale that need a lot of these ‘10-minute jobs’ doing - and they all add up. You see a lot of ads that say it only needs this and it only needs that and I always think: Well, if it’s so simple to do why haven’t you done it?

Blueandwhite66

Forum User
I’ll have a good look over the car and take some more photos , I’ll post them up on here if it’s possible ?
I’ll probably do the registration but sometimes people prefer to keep it as a one owner car .
The car has been over about 3 months so not quite just off the boat , I appreciate all your comments on the car and seriously if any one what’s to be nosey they are more then welcome to have a good look over it , thanks Mike also if there’s a set of wolfrace or minilites for sale I may be interested

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I believe that having the cars MOT-ed and registered far outweighs any wish to have the car as a one-owner - most would dismiss your brief moment on the V5 as simply an importation process.

Secondly, having a V5 means that it can be exported and reregistered here on the continent....opening up a much wider, larger potentiel client base. I imported a car on a Nova form once before and that was when you guys were still in the EU - absolute effing nightmare and soley due to the personal intervention of the local director responsable.....now that it's ALL online and centralised, it would be impossible. I don't know for other countries buy all will insist upon a VAT invoice which the Nova system doesn't supply !

I agree wholeheartedly with Mikes comments on the 'little' jobs needing doing so frequently noted on adverts. Most buyers today don't want nor have the time for such and would prefer to pay for a key in hand solution, even for project cars/running restorations.

uk66fastback

Club Member
B&W66: the ink’s not dry comment was not directed at your car, just imports in general. Some I’ve seen are pictured at the docks with the white Sharpie pen details still on the front windscreen!

I think you’d be better off putting the original black wheels on minus the hubcaps than those wires … they just look out of place a bit on a Z.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
B&W66: the ink’s not dry comment was not directed at your car, just imports in general. Some I’ve seen are pictured at the docks with the white Sharpie pen details still on the front windscreen!

I think you’d be better off putting the original black wheels on minus the hubcaps than those wires … they just look out of place a bit on a Z.
Might even attract more buyers as bing a more original car....certainly less 'tarted up for a quick sale'.

Mike - I regulary see photos of the cars still in the US which begs the question are they still in transit or worse, still with the seller and the advertising agent is merely a go-between pocketing a hefty margin at our expense. Not directed at you Mr66, merely a common observation now from profiterers.

Blueandwhite66

Forum User
Sorry with late reply gents - I’m going to leave the add running on eBay for now - it will get an mot and I’ll register it - the wires are coming off and maybe a set of minilites going on ,that’s the plan for it in the new year. If any one wants some wires ??