Had a good look underneath this week

RodimusPrime

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Guys.

I finally managed to get it onto the lift this week so I could have a good look over a few bits. Whilst filling up with petrol the other week I found that there's a slight leak from the fuel sender gasket so I'm going to have to pop that out (any tips/things not to do?...obviously I'll drain the fuel haha).

I also wanted to see how much wiggle room I had with the suspension and the wheels for when the new ones come (see other thread re: coilover conundrum), and just generally spend some time having a look.

Just to say that Terry looks to have done a great job and I'm lucky to have ended up with such a clean car. I know it's passed through a couple of other owners before getting to me so feel free to shout out if you see anything obviously wrong.

Thanks,

Matt

IMG_3573.jpg IMG_3571.jpg IMG_3569.jpg

Makesy

Club Member
The sender is quite easy to remove. I don't believe you need to remove the tank, though mine has always been out when I've needed to access it (the tank is pretty easy to remove also).

The sender is held in place by a metal ring which you'll need to twist and remove first. A flathead screwdriver and a mallet should help. Behind the sender is a large washer which I would definitely replace (probably the cause of your issue). I used rubber grease on mine for good measure.

I had a scary moment at a petrol station where it turned out said washer had folded in on itself during installation. I found out the hard way, with petrol all over Tesco's forecourt.

Obviously you're messing with fuel, so take care!

candy red

Club Member
Hi Guys.

I finally managed to get it onto the lift this week so I could have a good look over a few bits. Whilst filling up with petrol the other week I found that there's a slight leak from the fuel sender gasket so I'm going to have to pop that out (any tips/things not to do?...obviously I'll drain the fuel haha).

I also wanted to see how much wiggle room I had with the suspension and the wheels for when the new ones come (see other thread re: coilover conundrum), and just generally spend some time having a look.

Just to say that Terry looks to have done a great job and I'm lucky to have ended up with such a clean car. I know it's passed through a couple of other owners before getting to me so feel free to shout out if you see anything obviously wrong.

Thanks,

Matt

View attachment 47502 View attachment 47503 View attachment 47504

Think the only problem with the underside of your car is it’s

It’s Too dam clean EXTRA:D;)

RodimusPrime

Well-Known Forum User
The sender is quite easy to remove. I don't believe you need to remove the tank, though mine has always been out when I've needed to access it (the tank is pretty easy to remove also).

The sender is held in place by a metal ring which you'll need to twist and remove first. A flathead screwdriver and a mallet should help. Behind the sender is a large washer which I would definitely replace (probably the cause of your issue). I used rubber grease on mine for good measure.

I had a scary moment at a petrol station where it turned out said washer had folded in on itself during installation. I found out the hard way, with petrol all over Tesco's forecourt.

Obviously you're messing with fuel, so take care!

I think that's the way I found out too! When my feet were getting wet whilst filling up. Thanks for the advice, I have a new sender unit, O-ring and the metal ring to swap out, so fingers crossed it's relatively painless.

Much appreciated.

Paul_S

Club Member
Crazy clean!

<snip>
index.php
I'm trying to find an old thread about using a 2 post lift - is this the preferred jacking points? If so, it's a great pic than clearly shows them off.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Crazy clean!

I'm trying to find an old thread about using a 2 post lift - is this the preferred jacking points? If so, it's a great pic than clearly shows them off.
No, I wouldn't lift it there - I'd lift on the beam just rear of where it's lifting at the rear, and on the compression rod outside mount at the front.

RodimusPrime

Well-Known Forum User
No, I wouldn't lift it there - I'd lift on the beam just rear of where it's lifting at the rear, and on the compression rod outside mount at the front.

I was trying to find a source showing suggested lifting points. Unfortunately I think the arms on the lift won't extend to allow that. Do you foresee any major problems with the points I've used in the picture?

Thanks,

Matthew

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I was trying to find a source showing suggested lifting points. Unfortunately I think the arms on the lift won't extend to allow that. Do you foresee any major problems with the points I've used in the picture?

Thanks,

Matthew
well if nothing has bent, its probably OK, but those front rails are only floor support, not "chassis rails" and many are bent from being lifted there.
at the rear... not sure - my car doesn't have those lumps you're lifting on, they look like the 280z seat belt retractor housing, but its a 240z isn't it?

Last edited:

RodimusPrime

Well-Known Forum User
well if nothing has bent, its probably OK, but those front rails are only floor support, not "chassis rails" and many are bent from being lifted there.
at the rear... not sure - my car doesn't have those lumps you're lifting on, they look like the 280z seat belt retractor housing, but its a 240z isn't it?

Gotcha. Yes, it's a 240z so I'm unsure what those bits are as well, and those points just seemed like the most solid options available although I'll try to position it as per your last advice. Just to check, are the circled bits where you suggest it be lifted?

Thanks
IMG_3569.jpg

Jay.

Club Member
I'd be interested to know what those rear spots are that you have - my car has them too

toopy

Club Member
Ive' seen plenty of pictures of cars on post lifts, where the arms are positioned at the rear of the floorpan right where it bends upwards and as close to the sill as possible.

I once saw my car up in the air at 4ways like this, the fronts were under the compression rod mount.

tel240z

Club Member
I'd be interested to know what those rear spots are that you have - my car has them too
Jay yes the bulbus bits are for the seat belt inertia reels, they are there because it a us spec car, they are very strong and ideal for lifting the car and yes as others have said best place is as where Matt has circled