ECU Repair

Dill

Club Member
Hi Forum,

Firstly, I know someone is going to tell me to look through previous posts on this but for the life of me i cant find them so if this upsets you, I do apologise but if you can help, thank you.

Can someone recommend somewhere I can send my ECU for testing and repair. Ive got a 76 Datsun 280z. I dont really want to go down the carb route (unless someone can show me significant gains) because I feel if that becomes my plan id rather do an engine swap.

I've called around a couple of places and they all said it wasn't something they would do or to send it in so they can have a look and decide if its something they can fix. I dont trust that and also could just be a waste of time and money so im looking for a known/recommended person please.

Thanks in advance.

Makesy

Club Member
I have an ECU lying about which is for either a 280 or 280zx but I have no way of knowing which model without some guidance.

It did work before I removed it from the car. Let me know if you're interested

Huw

Club Member
This might help, info from Mike Feeney (god rest him) for 280ZX ECU’s. Which are similar to 280Z. Earlier ones might work. If nothing else it will give you an idea of serial nos

All part numbers start with 22611-

P6600 10/78 - 09/79 MT
P6610 10/78 - 09/79 AT
P8600 10/79 - 08/81 MT
P8610 10/79 - 08/81 AT
These early versions are interchangeable and you can runMT on AT units.

P8601 09/81 onwards MT
P8611 09/81 onwards AT

These cannot be interchanged with early versions.

Last edited:

Makesy

Club Member
Thanks Huw.

Mike knew his stuff! I do miss our chats.

I'll see if I can identify what I have based on that.

Reactions: Huw

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Not sure the ecu repair companies out there will be able to repair older ecu these days.
I’ve used bba reman and the ecu doctor .
Probably worth a call both have been in business a long time

Robbie J

Club Member
Not sure if I still have mine or not, need to ask Hallie, but my car is a 1976 280z so it should work

Dill

Club Member
Hi All,

I love this Forum and this community.

@Makesy - thank you for the offer. Ive already reached out to minksport for support and he has a couple of options for me.

@Huw - thanks for that info. Ive done quite a bit of reading into this because although my car is a 76 it looks like the ECU is out of a 78 but its also had a engine change in its passed life and by the look of the wiring loom im not sure they ever had it running again. I need to go have a look at the numbers today because I think they might have tried to marry the engine with the wrong ECU. Saying all of that, your info you provided will help me finding the right one so thank you.

Thanks @Fairlineguy . I think ill just go with the replacement.

Thanks for checking @Robbie J

Huw

Club Member
Your welcome. Sounds like a bundle of no fun there.

This is the bible for the injection system. It’s pretty simple. The ECU is a pure analog beast and if any of the sensors, mainly water temp and AFM inputs go bad the system will stop working. Bad connectors are it’s real Achilles heel.

Attachments

• 280zfuelinjectionbook.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
T

TallyFeli

Hi....From the maaany ECUs I have managed, I have seen just one fizzled. Since some virtuoso switched the battery.

Obliviousness of auto hardware causes experts to need to supplant the ECU in an absolute speculating mode. Like in the times of VCRs, they needed to supplant the heads in light of the fact that didn't investigate nor see how functioned...

Initial step is to peruse mistake codes. What appears ?