Club Member
You guys don't remember I'm an electrician lol
Was that one by Monty Python?

"I'm a sparky and I'm OK,
I sleep all night and I work all day.
I'll fix that fuse, I'll wire that plug,
I'll run a spur through there.
I wish I'd been plumber, just like that French Pierre"

I know, I know. Best I could do at short notice..................... I'll get me coat....

MCBladeRun

Club Member
I'm getting 3 phase fitted to run the garage, however it does mean that if I had an electric car, it'd charge faster.
Well I hope you've got most of it existing, 3phase is expensive if you've only got single phase.
If you were a brick layer would you cavity wall it?

Anyway I'm just jealous of you guys with decent garages. :ack:
I'm heading down the route of single brick and I'll be able to insulate it all at a later stage.

I agree with you Rob, I'm still envious about the garages I've seen on here. Definitely inspired by the wall art I've seen though.

Well I hope you've got most of it existing, 3phase is expensive if you've only got single phase.

I'm heading down the route of single brick and I'll be able to insulate it all at a later stage.

I agree with you Rob, I'm still envious about the garages I've seen on here. Definitely inspired by the wall art I've seen though.

the 3 phase conversion is circa £1200. I can sell my rotary phase converter which will pay for most of it.

candy red

Club Member

As a builder I wouldn’t build single skin I would recommend building it brick and block with 30mm celotex in the cavity or more if your not tight for room with an insulated door,with the block inner skin you’ve got something strong to fix shelves too would be more cost effective to do it all in 1 go , also I’ve had bare metal sheeting in my garage for 5 years and there’s not even surface rust on it .
Derrick ;)

Ian

Club Member
My garage still has a long way to go, but I've finally got it to a stage that I am happy with from how it was when I got it. Still a work in progress but I am very happy to spend all day working in it now. When I got it I always figured I'd be paying for all this type of work to be done but have done all work myself and now I wouldn't pay for any work to be done in here, the more you do the more confident you get.

Before for reference.

img_8173-jpg.287850

img_8172-jpg.287849

Gave my door an upgrade:

IMG_7817.JPG

Part done. Added a retractable power reel which as been super useful

IMG_4520.JPG

Complete

IMG_5336.JPG

Finished the ceiling and lighting

IMG_5813.JPG

IMG_5808.JPG

Next plan is to build an extension behind those wooden doors to use as a dirty room, will have a compressor, a heavy duty bench and big vice, a parts washer, blasting cabinet, belt/disc sander, grinder and metal polishing equipment plus I will build a mini spray booth with extraction.

IMG_5855.JPG

Added two wood storage trays and one for metal below the loft flooring. Might as well make sue of that room. More could be added at a later date if needed.

IMG_5859.JPG

Small parts storage is very useful

IMG_5811.JPG

Loft storage is mostly complete and I couldn't do without it.

IMG_5843.JPG

Those storage boxes are long and are on wheel so when I need access they are easily pulled out.

IMG_5844.JPG

Love my new Noco 4 bank batter maintainer. I Leave all the batteries on this when things are in storage.

thumbnail_IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_5807.JPG

Still loads to do but its slowly getting to where I want it and its already a great space to work in. Its so nice to have a large, well lit, dry garage to work in when I spent so many years building cars outside on a drive, its nice to not have the weather defeat you, or to be lying under a car at night with just a work light while slowly getting soaked.

Dale

Club Member
Ian, that’s mega! What a great space.

And I love the thought of a ‘dirty room’, but I must admit my mind wandered in another direction before reading what you meant :D

toopy

Club Member
Nice space to have and may i say exceptionally tidy and organised...... almost to the point of OCDo_O:p

Ian

Club Member
Ian, that’s mega! What a great space.
Thanks. I spend most of my time at home in there so it needs to be a nice place to be, I only sat in my lounge once the whole months I was at home recently, I'd rather be working on something with my hands out in the garage that waste my time watching TV.

And I love the thought of a ‘dirty room’, but I must admit my mind wandered in another direction before reading what you meant :D
Guess you must be dirty minded.

Yes, a dirty room … great to have one. Cut off from the nice clean motors and hand tools.
Yes. I believe it is essential now with the type of work I am doing there. Otherwise the entire garage gets dusty and it takes forever to clean. Anything with the bench grinder, cutting metal or metal polishing leaves a lot of mess. Will make some difference once I have it and of course will give me the space I need to add a 200L compressor, and a blasting cabinet which will open up much more work for me.

I’ve just done the clutch on my 944 and while it’s okay to work in, there is no space around the car really …
Nice space despite it being tight when working on the car. Can you tell me the brand of those plastic storage drawers, they fit perfectly below those benches.

Nice space to have and may i say exceptionally tidy and organised...... almost to the point of OCDo_O:p
Thankyou. I definitely have some OCD tendencies when it comes to my cars and garage. Much to the annoyance of others I can remember exactly where everything is and even if I come home after 4 months away I can tell if anything has been moved at all.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
......... I definitely have some OCD tendencies ......................... Much to the annoyance of others I can remember exactly where everything is and even if I come home after 4 months away I can tell if anything has been moved at all.

You sound like my wife. ;)

Col-b

Club Member
I'm fortunate to have e a couples of garage's at my disposal but definitely need a good clear out. Some of yours look great
20210906_103312.jpg 20210906_102606.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: