Unsecured WiFi

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Folks, I'm in a hotel where the WiFi for guests is unsecured. It's an expensive hotel and I think that is poor. My 'tablet' won't let me connect so I have had to disable Macafee and Google security. Noone else seems bothered not even the manager! I said it's like leaving my car in their car park but unlocked.

Am I correct in saying that it is very easy to setup secured access for residents?

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Yes, but being a hotel, they're better off employing the likes of an IT professional with an ongoing maintenance schedule etc.

I would imagine they've had problems in the past, so to save money they've configured it to be that way.

Robbie J

Club Member
the reason they don't do secured is the pain of supporting guest who can't use their devices

It just means anybody can access it, if you connect to a secured wifi other "guests" can hack you anyway. With the costs of data today I would use a wifi hotspot off my phone.... that's if you get a good signal. Often on a contract you can get like 10GB for £5 extra one off charge

BTW Mcafee is not the best, I can write a essay on why but if its warning you about stuff and you are happy with it OK

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
Echo Robbies comments. Even travelling overseas on business I link from my phone 4G. Use a VPN on my phone for paranoia.

Macafee is as much of a cluster as it’s founders recent history!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Thanks guys. Macafee because it comes with BT and I'm loyal to BT because I worked for them for 40 years and they pay my pension.

I use a tablet gor the bigger screen. Younger people seem OK with tiny screens.

toopy

Club Member
So a secured wifi network is only secure from the outside in, once 'in the network' you are still vulnerable from within? I didn't know that :eek:

Robbie J

Club Member
So a secured wifi network is only secure from the outside in, once 'in the network' you are still vulnerable from within? I didn't know that :eek:
yep!

we had a competitor try to hack some of our machines at a tradeshow hotel

jasmiaz

Forum User
Folks, I'm in a hotel where the WiFi for guests is unsecured. It's an expensive hotel and I think that is poor. My 'tablet' won't let me connect so I have had to disable Macafee and Google security. Noone else seems bothered not even the manager! I said it's like leaving my car in their car park but unlocked.

Am I correct in saying that it is very easy to setup secured access for residents?

Yes, but don't wait until management does something.... get a VPN, you'll be way better off this way.

Russell

Club Member
Unsecured or not makes little difference if every guest is allowed the key.

Guest wifi will be on a separate vlan to the rest of the hotel so their crown jewels will be kept reasonably safe. Normaly some form of guest login before you can access much but all the guests are in the same pool so could see other devices.

Never bothered me really as not sure anyone would a. be interested in what im doing online or b. find much they could do any damage with.

Im far more likely to fall for a phishing scam and hand some stranger my banking details!