engine clattering - advise needed

Farmer42

Club Member
You should have 8 thou (0.2mm) on the inlet and 10thou (0.22mm) on the exhaust when the engine is cold.

If you timing chain is slack, I would strongly recommend that you check your timing marks on the cam sprocket line up. There should be a mark that lines up with one on the head and with a shiny link on the chain. If they don't then you have slipped a tooth and it will have thrown your valve timing out which would account for the knocking as the valve could be hitting the piston.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
those clearances are OK if a little tight.
In the video, that's a lot of play on the the tight side. What is the other side like?

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
Moved it round so the slack was on that side.
Was that slack put in when you turned the cam to check the clearances?

yes. trying it at varying points there is play. looking down the guide on the non tensioner side it is visibley worn .

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
You should have 8 thou (0.2mm) on the inlet and 10thou (0.22mm) on the exhaust when the engine is cold.

If you timing chain is slack, I would strongly recommend that you check your timing marks on the cam sprocket line up. There should be a mark that lines up with one on the head and with a shiny link on the chain. If they don't then you have slipped a tooth and it will have thrown your valve timing out which would account for the knocking as the valve could be hitting the piston.

Tried this too, all fine,

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
away to order a timing chain kit plus sprockets etc.
Without MJP.. is there anywhere in the UK likely to have this in stock?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
rotating the cam clockwise means all bets are off, the slack side tensioner setup is not designed for that.
what is the slop/slack like on the slack side after the engine has been run?

Farmer42

Club Member
away to order a timing chain kit plus sprockets etc.
Without MJP.. is there anywhere in the UK likely to have this in stock?

Rock Auto. You will have it in 4 days, probably as quick as ordering from the UK. You need to use the FedEx service when ordering.

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
rotating the cam clockwise means all bets are off, the slack side tensioner setup is not designed for that.
what is the slop/slack like on the slack side after the engine has been run?
can still put my finger under it and move it back and forth the sping gives up quite easy.

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
update:
timing kit all done.
initally feedback was good
then it wasnt, metal in sump.

Garage (owner/mechanic) I trust is currently working on his own, lost his mechanic to covid19.
This will be too time consuming/costly undertaking for him to go further so, i understand his current position.
So now I have to get the car home, route cause still not diagnosed, but definately engine out and diaagnose the problem first
Then rebuild. In debate whether I have someone else more skilled do it (you know who you are!) or take the brave pill and do it myself

As an otherwise reliable car, I want to get it back on the road and going as quick as i can thus have been hunting for a replacement engine.
Ideally a straight swap, but iafter a month of hunting, I can not find anything that doesnt need work.
Prices of engines are wildly variable, as is their condition.
I have an ad up on the members wanted section, and its still open.

So two things.
First, find out whats wrong
Second, a spare engine/ good engine (if anyone has an engine they would sell, consider selling, please pm me.)

Thanks for all the help so far folks.

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
Update:
Engine out as of Monday, have engine stand now and car going into storage whilst I work my way through the engine in trying to find the fault.
Hoping to use the knowledge in here and from car community up here who are all offering help.

Perhaps may shift to a new thread. Will keep you posted as i uncover the issues.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Update:
Engine out as of Monday, have engine stand now and car going into storage whilst I work my way through the engine in trying to find the fault.
Hoping to use the knowledge in here and from car community up here who are all offering help.

Perhaps may shift to a new thread. Will keep you posted as i uncover the issues.
I look forward to the pics!

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks jon, at the very least I can provide entertainment. Best way to learn is get hands first as I see it… I say that now…

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
You probably know about the book "How to modify your Nissan and Datsun OHC engine". Just checking in case you didn't know