Front indicators

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Got a 1972 UK RHD 240Z for full resto. What are the correct set up for front indicators as I have a set of rectangle ones that should be fitted above the bumper but the car also came with a set of NOS concave indicators that go below the bumper below and in line with the headlights.
Prefer the latter but also want to make sure I’m restoring it as a UK RHD drive car and not making it look like a converted US LHD car
Thanks in advance

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
UK market HS30QU model Datsun 240Z definitely had the indicators on top of the front bumper, as you suspect. This was matched with 'blank' pressings for the front valance corner pieces where the originally-designed front sidelights/parking lights & indicators went.

Some people switched the indicator units to position them under the front bumper (utilising the pre-drilled holes for the optional fog lamps) which is a little more pleasing aesthetically, but not 'factory correct'.

UK-Euro turn sigs.jpg

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Got a 1972 UK RHD 240Z for full resto. What are the correct set up for front indicators as I have a set of rectangle ones that should be fitted above the bumper but the car also came with a set of NOS concave indicators that go below the bumper below and in line with the headlights.
Prefer the latter but also want to make sure I’m restoring it as a UK RHD drive car and not making it look like a converted US LHD car
Thanks in advance

Those curved ones are worth a pretty penny - almost a grand if they're genuine and unused.

Kieronpollock

Club Member
UK market HS30QU model Datsun 240Z definitely had the indicators on top of the front bumper, as you suspect. This was matched with 'blank' pressings for the front valance corner pieces where the originally-designed front sidelights/parking lights & indicators went.

Some people switched the indicator units to position them under the front bumper (utilising the pre-drilled holes for the optional fog lamps) which is a little more pleasing aesthetically, but not 'factory correct'.

View attachment 46211
thanks - so when were the curve lights used, just US / LHD?

datsfun

Club Member
yes they are brand new and come with both clear and orange lenses so I'll think I'll put them ebay and put the money towards my overspent resto!

I would put them on the Car !!!

The UK solution is an after-thought and spoils the design lines.

Have a look non modified s30's in Japan and see how good they look with the indicators placed where the designer intended them to be !

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
thanks - so when were the curve lights used, just US / LHD?

From the beginning, in October 1969.

The original design catered for two bulbs: One for a 'running light'/side light which doubled up as an individually side-switched parking light (particular to the Japanese market) and the other as an indicator. If you look at the base moulding you will see bulb holder recesses for two bulbs, but only one of them was used on so-fitted Export market cars. The height of the sidelight/indicator didn't comply with new Euro regulations, hence the on-bumper versions.

If you're going with the original design you will need to decide what to do with sidelights. You can incorporate them in the headlamp like the original UK cars did (your existing wiring should cater for this) or you can choose to run the sidelight in the 'indicator' position in the new lights and - maybe? - put a bulb holder in the blank part of the moulding and use that as an indicator. Some scope there for different configurations.