LD32 Engine build

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
yeah, it is very nerve wracking. I almost packed it up for the day when it was ready to fire, so I could enjoy another night of not knowing it didn't work :p

I can so understand that Jon but hey it works so you have an extra day of knowing it works. Well at tickover at least.

I really want this engine to run well but don't push your luck with the revs.
A 3.2 litre L6 should be plenty powerful for an S30 at up to 6k in my mind.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Great work Jon. So what is the engine dimensions now? Bore, stroke, head cc, ect.
Thanks John.
It's 89.5 x 84.27 which I reckon makes 3,180cc.
The chambers are 39cc, so with the piston cut outs, I think the CR is 11.7:1
standard 44/35 valves and same old .585 lift, 308/309 duration cam

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
You're right Rob, I won't rev this one beyond 8k.
Ok. Don't get me wrong I love revs and used 7k all the time in my track car, it took it well.
8400rpm was the limit on my s50b32. That was a motor that’d 150k miles.

Completely different 'animal' and not engineered and built by a man in a shed.

Don't get me wrong I love revs but I don't want Jon's engine to go 'pop' again. Get some miles on it Jon.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
WELL DONE JB!!! You must be very very chuffed with yourself! I agree with Rob, you need a see through bonnet!! ;)

johnymd

Club Member
If it’s built with a Rev limit in mind then use the revs. Not sure I’d want to push past 8k although I’m sure it would be loverly to hear.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
If it’s built with a Rev limit in mind then use the revs. Not sure I’d want to push past 8k although I’m sure it would be loverly to hear.
Well, it's the same head/valve train that was on the previous engine, and proved itself not safe at 8,700 rpm, but was good below that, so that won't have changed.
The bottom end is lightened and balanced so should be good to rev, although the extra stroke compared to the previous engine I suppose means higher piston speeds. So, all in all, 8k sounds like a good limit.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
8k in top would be good at the Bonneville Salt Flats. ;)

Only teasing you Jon, I really admire your 'have a go' attitude and what you achieve.

I just want you to be gentle with your engine at first to get some reward before you push the boundaries.

Good Luck.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I had a mini disaster yesterday, the fan hit the radiator and made a mess, and I lost all the coolant. No idea how long I was running like that - I was paying attention to the fuelling and not the temperature. :(
I think this was another consequence of lowering the engine 20mm - the viscous fan now overlaps the rad bottom tank, making contact possible.
I had done 650 miles before it happened, so I'm still a little confused why it didn't happen sooner.

DSC_0003.JPG

I was about 5 miles from home, and as luck would have it, a nice chap who builds classic touring cars was passing with his trailer empty, so quickly loaded it up and dropped me home.
I've tested it today with my old standard rad, and there's no harm done to the engine, which is a relief. New 4 row radiator should be delivered tomorrow.
I've cropped the leading corner of the fan blades too, so hopefully there'll be no further contact. I suppose the fan will be less efficient at cooling like this, but hopefully the extra capacity of the diesel water pump will make up for it to an extent.

DSC_0004 (2).JPG

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Wow JB! You got luck to have avoided proper damage. How were the first 650 miles? How does she feel?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Wow JB! You got luck to have avoided proper damage. How were the first 650 miles? How does she feel?
I'm certainly very relieved it wasn't worse. It felt quick for a few days, and now it doesn't feel different from how I remember the old engine. I think that's a fairly normal experience - we really quickly get used to 'more'.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I'm certainly very relieved it wasn't worse. It felt quick for a few days, and now it doesn't feel different from how I remember the old engine. I think that's a fairly normal experience - we really quickly get used to 'more'.

I have to say, I felt the same about my new engine, especially during the running in period when I was constantly out in it. Then after a winter layup, you get into it and it makes you grin large!

Which rad are you getting? An eBay aluminium one perchance?

I wonder if the engine mounts have more longitudinal movement than anticipated? Come on, how hard were you braking :p