Just asking.......

iandecjak

Club Member
Has anyone used a pump to change gearbox oil, I have seen them used on sump oil and thought it might work with the gearbox. Appreciate the viscosity of oil is heavier but I am more unsure if it is possible to get a pipe down through the top with lever removed etc. As I say just asking :)

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
can't you get the drain plug undone?
these pumps make sense for filling, but whats the advantage for getting the old oil out, compared to just undoing the drain plug?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
...but I am more unsure if it is possible to get a pipe down through the top with lever removed etc.

I wouldn't bother trying that if I were you. The architecture of the 'B' series gearboxes makes it all but impossible to feed a suction tube down into the main body of the gearbox casing via the gear linkage.

You should be able to drain and re-fill with the pump via the filler plug on the side of the 'box, but - once you've drained it - I'd still recommend you remove the drain plug and inspect its magnet for debris and/or (hopefully not...) chunks of gear teeth...

Been there, seen that.

Mark N

Club Member
Great Mark how did you find it, how much gearbox oil did you get out and did it flow easily? Sorry for the questions but am keen to give it a try but want to understand any pitfalls or best practice :)

Sorry, I misunderstood the original post.
I only used it for filling the gearbox and diff, which it did with a little effort.
The drain plug is the best option for getting the old oil out.

However, I use one of these for my jetski engine oil changes and it works well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170787172142?epid=4028331160&hash=item27c3b56f2e:g:9WMAAMXQ6DBSEuNl

iandecjak

Club Member
Thanks all, no issues. Yes if I could get the fill plug out then it wouldn't be an issue. A square socket would definetly help as struggling with other tools. Ah well back to the drawing board......

johnymd

Club Member
I would always use the drain plug to empty the box as it will allow any sludge to drain. If the fill plug does not come out easy then I'll fill through the shifter hole. Just pour the correct amount in for the box your using.

Huw

Club Member
I would always use the drain plug to empty the box as it will allow any sludge to drain. If the fill plug does not come out easy then I'll fill through the shifter hole. Just pour the correct amount in for the box your using.

Got to agree with John. Always use the drain plug. You don’t need a fancy socket just a 1/2” 600mm breaker bar. The head of the breaker bar fit in the drain plug socket. That’s all I use, I have one you can borrow if you need. I’m in Bristol.
Huw

TimFZ

Club Member
I checked fill came out then drained using the plug.

For filling I used an electric pump mounted above the engine on a long large bore pipe fitted inside the filler hole. Filled it until it started to dribble out. It's an easy route from the engine bay down past the clutch secondary to the fill plug.