Registering a US import in 2020

johnymd

Club Member
A few people have asked me about this recently and as the forms and my old guide are a bit out of date I thought I'd start a fresh thread. I need to register my current project 260z so I thought I'd go through the process and update my guide notes.

The form can now be downloaded from here:
https://assets.publishing.service.g...-and-registration-of-a-used-motor-vehicle.pdf

I'll attach the guide that I've amended to indicate what you don't need to fill in and the type of info to use in the sections you do. It is a very simple form to fill in once you ignore all the type approval stuff.

Once you have filled in the form you include:
Check for £55
Photocopy of your driving licence
US title or dating letter

and that's about it. MOT only required for non exempt cars. Insurance only for cars imported into northern Ireland. Doesn't ask for US bill of sale anymore either.

Attachments

• Guide for v555 240z.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 245

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
This is great Johny!! [emoji106] It should definitely be a sticky if not already.

uk66fastback

Club Member
People should take a colour p'copy if they want of the US title as you don't get it back ... (if you think it is important to have a copy for the history - some people don't care)

SacCyclone

Club Member
Regarding the Bill of Sale, I wonder if the shipper will no longer request one????

Every shipper asks that the title and bill of sale be in the car when collected.

Not a big deal either way I guess.

Mike

johnymd

Club Member
I believe the bill of sale and title are required to help prevent stolen cars from leaving the country and for duty reasons. In theory once it arrives in the UK there should be no reason to see the bill of sale again. The title is required for dating reasons and not absolutely required.

M-j-b

Club Member
Excellent thank you for the guide, my 76 280z will hopefully be in the UK in 2 weeks

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
280Zs seem to be the best plan.
Thanks John for sharing, a little more complicated over here but still simpler than other EEC countries.

Jason McIvor

Club Member
Folks
This was a huge help - thanks so much Johnymd
It seems you got a response in about 12 days - is that right ?
Do you know if there is any way to track the progress of the registration other than phoning them ?

johnymd

Club Member
Glad this helps you. Yes, the response is quick. There is no way of tracking your application and phoning will not help. The way the system works is the the applications are dealt with in order received and processed as soon as they get to yours. The application will be dealt with and actioned as soon as they look at it so there is no progress as such. If you ring they will either have no record of your application or it will have been dealt with and a letter sent out to you.

Jason McIvor

Club Member
Folks
Into week 7 without a response from DVLA
Contacted them last week and they said 8wks minimum - I guess it is covid affected (like everything in the government)

Just wanted to update in case anyone else is aging at the same rate as me ;)

richiep

Club Member
I had a letter four weeks after submitting my application for my RA25 Celica - unfortunately it was because I'd managed to forget to put the goddamn cheque in! On the plus side, they included an envelope with a specific person and department addressed on it for me to return the docs with the cheque to direct. The V55 had already been processed/stamped etc., so I'm hopeful that the turnaround will be fast now that they've received the missing payment. Still gutted though as I really want to get the thing on the road.

DLVA have been striking recently over Covid conditions/outbreaks at the various Swansea offices; that might account for some delays. They had a four day stoppage a week or two ago due to some Westminster knobhead torpedoing the deal their union had just reached with DVLA management...

Jason McIvor

Club Member
I had a letter four weeks after submitting my application for my RA25 Celica - unfortunately it was because I'd managed to forget to put the goddamn cheque in! On the plus side, they included an envelope with a specific person and department addressed on it for me to return the docs with the cheque to direct. The V55 had already been processed/stamped etc., so I'm hopeful that the turnaround will be fast now that they've received the missing payment. Still gutted though as I really want to get the thing on the road.

DLVA have been striking recently over Covid conditions/outbreaks at the various Swansea offices; that might account for some delays. They had a four day stoppage a week or two ago due to some Westminster knobhead torpedoing the deal their union had just reached with DVLA management...

Richiep
Thanks for the info

NICE car ! Good luck with that, needs to be on the road and enjoyed - good work

johnymd

Club Member
I've had an ongoing case wit the DVLA for about 8 weeks now. I bought a volvo P1800ES about 2 months ago that had a totally different vin number to the registration document (wrong number put on it when new in '72). I supplied the correct vin, which the previous owners were unable to ever find!!, and just got the new corrected document through. Took about 6 weeks since my last contact from them so things are a bit slow.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I've had an ongoing case wit the DVLA for about 8 weeks now. I bought a volvo P1800ES about 2 months ago that had a totally different vin number to the registration document (wrong number put on it when new in '72). I supplied the correct vin, which the previous owners were unable to ever find!!, and just got the new corrected document through. Took about 6 weeks since my last contact from them so things are a bit slow.

Way to go Johny! Always admired your tenacity and go getter attitude which the DVLA need sometimes!

Last edited:

Stu

Forum User
When you apply for registration of import do you have to send proof of insurance on vin number for it to be taxed ? Thanks