LD32 Engine build

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
The engine is out. Once I'd taken out the bell housing bolt that I'd forgotten:confused:, it was pretty easy. Much easier with the rad support panel out of the way, I didn't have to think too much about the length of the chains this time.
DSC_0033.JPG

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I've chopped the top of the rad support panel out and made a start removing the current engine. I need the KEW twin idler off it before I can fit the timing cover on the new engine, and the head needs to be drilled for m12 head bolts.
View attachment 44849

I utterly love this car John - it’s just so no none sense and performance focused!!! Is that a home made strut brace?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I utterly love this car John - it’s just so no none sense and performance focused!!! Is that a home made strut brace?
Thanks Ali. yes, the strut brace was in a production run of one. It wasn't made at my home though!

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
While the engine is out, I changed the front seal and gasket on the gearbox, and finally got round to assembling exhaust manifold with gun gum.
DSC_0036.JPG DSC_0055.JPG DSC_0054.JPG

I also confess to taking the grinder to the steering rack bracket to make room for the engine to sit a bit lower.

DSC_0057.JPG

And I've got the head and timing cover back, so nothing can stop me now, apart the things I don't know and my own incompetence!
IMG_4923.jpg
DSC_0059.JPG

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Oh wow! Coming on nicely Jon! Also loving the orange! Is that a kameari chain tensioner? If so, I’ve heard they can be noisy, is that your experience of them?

Also how are you lowering the engine - different mounts?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Oh wow! Coming on nicely Jon! Also loving the orange! Is that a kameari chain tensioner? If so, I’ve heard they can be noisy, is that your experience of them?

Also how are you lowering the engine - different mounts?
Yes, Kameari twin idler. Makes a bit of a whine, but not unpleasant and more importantly, it keeps the chain under control.
This is how the engine will be mounted lower. Ice hockey pucks!
DSC_0046.JPG

Fairlineguy

Club Member
The engine is out. Once I'd taken out the bell housing bolt that I'd forgotten:confused:, it was pretty easy. Much easier with the rad support panel out of the way, I didn't have to think too much about the length of the chains this time.
View attachment 44867
Seeing your engine photo with the oil filter off.
I have an engine with the same housing but it has a removal tube that pushes into the centre where the filter screws on
Is this a owner mod or a Nissan thing ?

Attachments

• 4B0AB755-10D8-4A09-817F-BF902E123C51.jpeg
    4B0AB755-10D8-4A09-817F-BF902E123C51.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 22

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Seeing your engine photo with the oil filter off.
I have an engine with the same housing but it has a removal tube that pushes into the centre where the filter screws on
Is this a owner mod or a Nissan thing ?
like a rubber tube inside it? I can't imagine what that would be. The housing is standard 280zx, although the screw in tube in the pic is long to go through the oil cooler sandwich plate.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Is that a bit of marker pen in the cylinder head or a hole? old landrover engine mounts are the same, however I guess they're not a rigid as a hockey puck!
That's a hole - broke through into two inlet ports when drilling it for m12 head bolts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Landrover engine mounts are actually taller, as tall as the standard Nissan mounts, about 35mm from memory. The pucks are only 20mm.