240z Air filter restoration / paint code etc

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hi all,

While the carbs are away getting restored, I am tarting up the engine bay. Thought I’d paint the air filter and put on some new decals.

Question I have is what colour to paint it? Does anyone know? Some orange i am guessing, what what’s close enough that i can buy on eBay or amazon.

I can tell my one has previously been painted, so curious what people think about the best original look colour to paint it?

Thanks, Graeme

132150F1-75B4-4CB0-B2F4-98A6A30F1E0B.jpeg

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
So I’ve come up with a couple of starting points, after a bit of research. I’d of course have to colour match these.

https://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Nissan/1973-Nissan-240Z-Orange-918.html

https://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Nissan/1978-Nissan-280Z-Persimmon-Red-110.html

After reading another forum thread, some reference to the Persimmon Red being a pretty close match. I note Zcarstore actually sell a matched paint, but don’t airfreight it.

Anyone done this already? Of course I’d need to try and then colour match to one of the old codes above.

Cheers, Graeme

uk66fastback

Club Member
Mine is 110. I’ll have a look in the morning and see how close it is. My guess is the air cleaner is a bit brighter ... and more orangey.

There’s a nice Chevy orange that I think some people have used ...

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Mine is 110. I’ll have a look in the morning and see how close it is. My guess is the air cleaner is a bit brighter ... and more orangey.

There’s a nice Chevy orange that I think some people have used ...

Do let me know. Also, do you or anyone else know the details of the Chevy orange you reference?

SacCyclone

Club Member
Look at Dupli-Color DE1620 Chevrolet Orange, I have used it several times on the Datsun air cleaner assembly. I liked it and it seemed pretty close.

Farmer42

Club Member
I used a Rover Blaze on mine. A motor factors colour matched it and it looked really nice. You can get rattle cans at Halfords.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I'll have to take a pic tomorrow as it's in the boot I discovered today and the thing is under a cover. I'd get it properly done though whatever you use - ie get a shop to spray it with a proper gun and bake it etc. That's the only way you'll get the original 'thick' look of the paint imo.

uk66fastback

Club Member
As I suspected, it's a bit more orangey ...

CHG6q8SN.jpg

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Look at Dupli-Color DE1620 Chevrolet Orange, I have used it several times on the Datsun air cleaner assembly. I liked it and it seemed pretty close.

Found this available in the UK. What do you think?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VHT-CHEVY-ORANGE-ENGINE-ENAMEL-PAINT-SP123-/253160461566

Also made me think do i need a heat resistant paint - probably do, given proximity to exhaust and attached to carbs. Rover Blaze easy enough to buy in the UK. DupliColor I would have to import. Anyone had experience of the VHT which is available here?

Chevy orange looks like a great colour match, and it’s heat resistant.

21527F3C-474D-44B6-A2F6-120D9114003F.jpeg

Last edited: