RB26DETT OR VR38DETT

TheHulkGB

Club Member
Hi guys,
I own a 1978 260z 2+2 which I’ve been restomoding for nearly 2 years.
I’m now at the point on my build that I have to pull the trigger on the engine choice.
Which of these two engines would you go for and why?
Is there any advantages and disadvantages of either choice?
Besides the cost which I can deal with.

Thanks

Last edited:

Robbie J

Club Member
RB if the cost is an issue then an RB25DET from stagea 2 wheel drive. RB26DETTs are expensive and just about the same really

it does fit well in the Engine bay.... but I have 2+2 with that engine so SR20 then...

don't forget about the gearbox choice as well...

Robbie J

Club Member
getting an R35GTR engine in would cost a lot, they are very powerful and the gearbox would cost a small fortune. To make a S30 take that you need some serious work on strength of the car

I have had both in 2 cars at the same time, very different beasts. In my mind, you need something which tries to match the car somehow?

TheHulkGB

Club Member
RB if the cost is an issue then an RB25DET from stagea 2 wheel drive. RB26DETTs are expensive and just about the same really

it does fit well in the Engine bay.... but I have 2+2 with that engine so SR20 then...

don't forget about the gearbox choice as well...
The cost doesn’t bother me, I’ve already paid for the RB26 but am considering upgrading to the VR38. My engine installers said they can make it work with mods.

TheHulkGB

Club Member
haven't you got mr muscles old car?

what about sticking a turbo on the l series? you'll cover most the rules in one then.
That engine needs lots of work, the money is invest in rebuilding that would be better spent on a better engine

Robbie J

Club Member
The cost doesn’t bother me, I’ve already paid for the RB26 but am considering upgrading to the VR38. My engine installers said they can make it work with mods.

WOW, My R35GTR arrived new with 520BHP and currently the guy that has it tells me it has 690BHP on Litchfield's dyno with decat, injectors and induction mods. To do justice to that engine you need people like Litchfield's or SVM to be doing the work. What gearbox would you use? You can't bolt it to a 5 speed RWD Skyline box as it will break it and most others and without cutting the tunnel up a lot of gearboxes won't fit. You will be in Quaife sequential territory https://www.quaife.co.uk/quaife-products/motorsport-gearboxes/ bespoke housing and special setup.

Just to give you some stuff I do know the R35GTR engine reduces boost in lower gears to stop breaking the stock gearbox and the engine/box talk to each other. The stock box is good to 800BHP if you treat it well but as its a transaxle that is not easy to fit

The person on here that did that basically took an R35GTR and grafted on an S30 bodyshell onto it

Its a really big job... the faff we had to get a CD009 in my car is nothing compared to what you are thinking of doing

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
............The person on here that did that basically took an R35GTR and grafted on an S30 bodyshell onto it....

Has that been finished? That seemed such a huge project and surely couldn't be used on the road?

You guys certainly seem to know your GTRs!

Crazy power by the way for an S30.

Robbie J

Club Member
Has that been finished? That seemed such a huge project and surely couldn't be used on the road?

You guys certainly seem to know your GTRs!

Crazy power by the way for an S30.

130456849_431031434738904_8223811077989148941_n.jpg

My old cars in 2008

we were going 20mph!