What did you do to your Z this week?

atomman

Club Member
I always assumed you worked in an engineering firm -- never assume!

I did my 'time' as Toolmaker and have worked in Engineering all my life , I was a Quality/methods engineer for Rolls Royce down in Goodwood then came back to Wales and worked for Connaught till there demise then ended up running a couple of engineering shops before I took the 'easy' life and went back into teaching the next generation on engineers. A lot less stressful than actually 'working' for a living :)

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
thanks Peter, luckily I work in a University so we have some pretty kool prototype kit that I get to play with , I couldn't stretch to nearly a million pounds for one though, but in time they will come down in price like plastic 3d printers have,
Presumably you're chief advisor to the university for expensive tools they need to buy? :)

TimFZ

Club Member
Well, got under the z this week and managed to get both the filler and drain plugs moving on the 5 speed box. Just waiting for oil to arrive now for new lubage and slick shifting.

Still can't move the rear axle filler plug, I may have to remove the support bar behind to get to it properly. Any tips on how to support it all whilst doing that?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Well, got under the z this week and managed to get both the filler and drain plugs moving on the 5 speed box. Just waiting for oil to arrive now for new lubage and slick shifting.

Still can't move the rear axle filler plug, I may have to remove the support bar behind to get to it properly. Any tips on how to support it all whilst doing that?
axle stands under the front inner bush point (by the diff support) will be good enough.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

I had to remove the support bar on a car but it was still tough to undo. Stilsons extended with a piece of tube did it.

Last edited:

atomman

Club Member

bit of heat usually works as the cover is ally and the plug steel so expand at different rates,

which oil you using in the gearbox ?
I used Red Line MT90 75w90 in my S14 box

TimFZ

Club Member
Yep I used heat too. Nearly always does the trick.

I reckon the filler plug had never been 'moved' in 45 years!
Yes, seems about right. Not sure when oils were last changed in gb or ra so getting it done now as a precaution before I do any longer trips this year.

I in the UK, bit of a millers fan for classics so using Millers pistoneeze, gl4 in gearbox and gl5 in rear axle.

Tony Mc

Club Member
Fuel tank taken off, not before time by the look of it. Off for the ReNu treatment.

Attachments

• 20210217_125217.jpg
    20210217_125217.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210217_124949.jpg
    20210217_124949.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 34

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Right I’m going to ask a question that’s been burning away in my mind. With these tapered drain and fill plugs is there any reason why you couldn’t put a bit of PTFE tape on to stop is seizing?

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Right I’m going to ask a question that’s been burning away in my mind. With these tapered drain and fill plugs is there any reason why you couldn’t put a bit of PTFE tape on to stop is seizing?
No reason that I can imagine, Liquid thread sealers like Loctite 577 are also good in these situations. You dont need to flog the plug back in again, but you need some curing time before you refill

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

I think that would be ok but in my experience once you've loosened them they are ok.

240L31

Club Member
I took some new parts to the plater for a yellow zinc finish:smash:
40586094df.jpg