LiamR's 280z Restomod - SR20DET to RB25DET

Mark N

Club Member
Right, so I've been frantically messaging and responding to people regarding a shell.

I'm going to re-shell it. Not sure which shell, but I'm going to have to get a new one. Spoke to the missus tonight and as soon as she told me, "I'd never feel safe being in that car, knowing what it's like" I knew that was it. She has given me the thumbs up to source a new shell and spend my money! Who would have thought it eh! haha.

I've been offered quite a few believe it or not. That 240z one is such an unrealistic price. Yes its been blasted but 13k... No thanks.

The reason I was going to stick with a 280z was because I have literally EVERYTHING to rebuild the 280z.

I'm guessing that you already asked Romas if he had a shell.

Garaculas

Club Member
A tough but likely right decision in the long term Liam, well done. If you’re anything like me then enjoying your car with friends and family is a huge part of it and knowing your other half would never feel safe in it would definitely sway it for me.

I sent it to Ste but let me know if you want any more info on that grey 280Z I was told about. I think it was a bit more than just a shell at £8k but could sell the rest of the bits etc etc.

Look forward to seeing what happens next :)

LiamR

Club Member
A tough but likely right decision in the long term Liam, well done. If you’re anything like me then enjoying your car with friends and family is a huge part of it and knowing your other half would never feel safe in it would definitely sway it for me.

I sent it to Ste but let me know if you want any more info on that grey 280Z I was told about. I think it was a bit more than just a shell at £8k but could sell the rest of the bits etc etc.

Look forward to seeing what happens next :)

Hi mate. Yes absolutely that's the case with the car and my other half. She has been more than supportive towards my hobby and I'd like her to enjoy it too. Knowing that she wouldnt feel safe was the final nail in the coffin for me.

I don't think I've seen any information with regards to a grey one?

I've been offered a brown one which I'm quite interested in.

Can you send me any info on this other one.

Thanks bud.

LiamR

Club Member
To cheer myself up a bit I'll update on some new parts.

I have received a rather heavy package from the USA in the form of a new front subframe with RB mounts, new front setup, RB gearbox mount and rear lower control arms all from Apex Engineered.

Still awaiting the poly bush parts to replace the rose joints.

IMG-20201103-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20201103-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20201103-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20201103-WA0002.jpg

Oh and I received my adapters from Silvermine for the Z31 OEM axles. Very nice bit of kit.

IMG-20201117-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20201117-WA0004.jpg

I also managed to make a black friday purchase and ordered a Link Fury X ECU to control the RB.

Also ordered the full front and rear brake kit from Milkfab.

Uses z32 turbo front calipers, Honda Odyssey front discs, Mustang rear calipers and Z31 rear discs. Using the Mustang caliper gives you the ability to keep the handbrake function and use the OEM handbrake cable.

Waiting for that all that to arrive in the post.

LiamR

Club Member
So theres an early 260z shell on the facebook pages.

Am I right in thinking that nothing from my 280z will fit onto it? It's mega clean, been sand blasted and is a good price. Only issue is it's in USA and my parts may not fit

richiep

Club Member
If its a 73 to mid-74 260Z, structurally it is more like a 73 240Z, so a lot will be different. Really, if you are after a bare shell to swap everything over to, it has to be a late-280Z. If you were to get anything other than that (i.e. an earlier 280Z, 260Z , etc.), you would ideally need a more complete car so that you can swap the key elements of what the grey car was onto that while still having all the original bits to use where those from the later grey car won't fit.

Robbie J

Club Member
To cheer myself up a bit I'll update on some new parts.

I have received a rather heavy package from the USA in the form of a new front subframe with RB mounts, new front setup, RB gearbox mount and rear lower control arms all from Apex Engineered.

Still awaiting the poly bush parts to replace the rose joints.

View attachment 42556
View attachment 42554
View attachment 42555
View attachment 42553

Oh and I received my adapters from Silvermine for the Z31 OEM axles. Very nice bit of kit.

View attachment 42551
View attachment 42558

I also managed to make a black friday purchase and ordered a Link Fury X ECU to control the RB.

Also ordered the full front and rear brake kit from Milkfab.

Uses z32 turbo front calipers, Honda Odyssey front discs, Mustang rear calipers and Z31 rear discs. Using the Mustang caliper gives you the ability to keep the handbrake function and use the OEM handbrake cable.

Waiting for that all that to arrive in the post.

which black Friday deal on the Link?

LiamR

Club Member
If its a 73 to mid-74 260Z, structurally it is more like a 73 240Z, so a lot will be different. Really, if you are after a bare shell to swap everything over to, it has to be a late-280Z. If you were to get anything other than that (i.e. an earlier 280Z, 260Z , etc.), you would ideally need a more complete car so that you can swap the key elements of what the grey car was onto that while still having all the original bits to use where those from the later grey car won't fit.

I'm not entirely sure what it is, he just said it's an early 260z and when I asked what year he said 74.

What is different for the 280? When you say key elements what are you referring to?

My 280 is a 76/77 so not entirely sure on the main differences.

Last edited:

Chris159

Well-Known Forum User
As Richiep states there is alot of of the differences, including the suspension mounting points as the pre mid 74's has shoter struts that the post mid 74's S30's, different door catches so different door jams, no rear bumper reses's for post mid 74's, different floor pans and rails, different boot floors as the post 74's had more streanthing for the rear impact bumpers and different lower front cross members. There is probably more besides but that is what comes to mind, I'm sure someone else can add or correct me on this list if needed.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So theres an early 260z shell on the facebook pages.

Am I right in thinking that nothing from my 280z will fit onto it? It's mega clean, been sand blasted and is a good price. Only issue is it's in USA and my parts may not fit

Can you give me a link please?

richiep

Club Member
As Richiep states there is alot of of the differences, including the suspension mounting points as the pre mid 74's has shoter struts that the post mid 74's S30's, different door catches so different door jams, no rear bumper reses's for post mid 74's, different floor pans and rails, different boot floors as the post 74's had more streanthing for the rear impact bumpers and different lower front cross members. There is probably more besides but that is what comes to mind, I'm sure someone else can add or correct me on this list if needed.

This. The shell of the later 280Z, of which yours is an example, is extensively changed relative to the early 260Z, and even relative to the "74.5" 260Z and early 280Z.

The one advantage you've got is that there are still a good amount of late 280Z project cars that show up for sale in California and other dry states. In CA, the latter ones also tend to be unmodified, because they are restricted from doing so due to emissions compliance kicking in. Thus, they are worth less (unless you are talking about something like a mint ZZZap car) basically because people can't modify them in the ways they might earlier models. Just keep you eyes peeled and powder dry to get a suitable base. Rob might've said this already, but maybe talk to Huggy's Speed Shop in Staffs as they often sell complete 280Zs on eBay, usually around the 5-6k mark.

LiamR

Club Member
This. The shell of the later 280Z, of which yours is an example, is extensively changed relative to the early 260Z, and even relative to the "74.5" 260Z and early 280Z.

The one advantage you've got is that there are still a good amount of late 280Z project cars that show up for sale in California and other dry states. In CA, the latter ones also tend to be unmodified, because they are restricted from doing so due to emissions compliance kicking in. Thus, they are worth less (unless you are talking about something like a mint ZZZap car) basically because people can't modify them in the ways they might earlier models. Just keep you eyes peeled and powder dry to get a suitable base. Rob might've said this already, but maybe talk to Huggy's Speed Shop in Staffs as they often sell complete 280Zs on eBay, usually around the 5-6k mark.

Awesome thanks for the info mate, very helpful.

I think you may be right and it's best I stick to an unmolested 280z.

I have been offered a decent totally stock 280z in the UK. Currently awaiting more detailed pictures of it, but from the images of the outside it looks pretty solid albeit it in need of a decent paint job due to being stored for 6 years.

LiamR

Club Member
If anyone is interested here is the 74 260z shell that was offered from the USA.

Such a shame as it looks perfect for me :(

received_2750567948530062.jpeg
received_776749829851352.jpeg
received_368519497743231.jpeg
received_393381068766017.jpeg
received_667325377286014.jpeg
received_219521502871556.jpeg
received_661481434543750.jpeg
received_195607222050958.jpeg

LiamR

Club Member
$2/3k.

He was asking how much a bare shell is worth and he got told $2-3k.

I was genuinely considering getting it and making everything fit

arcdef

Club Member
How much was the shipping on those Apex bits, remember looking at the strut bars a few months back and shipping was almost £300.

Good luck with the hunt for a shell, what you going to do with the old shell?