What did you do to your Z this week?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
That's shocking. I've had many things damaged (not car stuff). There are two issues - the sender should had boxed it with something to stiffen it, like a piece of hardboard. The courier/s just aren't careful enough.

I would think that a skilled body-man could make that useable but it will cost you - could you try to get comp? Insurance?

If you could get a total refund the money could pay for the repair.

Hard luck Liam. However I think you are better off than not having one to work with?

Turn & Burn

Club Member
So today my OEM RHD scuttle panel turned up from Japan.

It got to the UK and then was forwarded to me via TNT.

Pi**ed off is an understatement!!!

View attachment 42456 View attachment 42457 View attachment 42458 View attachment 42459 View attachment 42460 View attachment 42461
Gutted for you, somebody must have had a real good go at it to get that bend in the the centre. We need a Uk source for these panels. They rot like mad and with all the RHD conversions this is a key panel.

LiamR

Club Member
Gutted for you, somebody must have had a real good go at it to get that bend in the the centre. We need a Uk source for these panels. They rot like mad and with all the RHD conversions this is a key panel.

Agreed!

I have contacted the person who forwarded it onto me. It wasn't the cheapest of panels either which is why it has annoyed me.

I did want to try and get a RHD one copied maybe have a mould made or something but then it would be an option in FPR or carbon but that idea is now out of the window

Anyone have a RHD scuttle?

uk66fastback

Club Member
Gutted for you Liam, that’s bad. Lord alone knows how that happened. I sold a Mustang underbonnet filler piece a few years ago and was so afraid it would bend in transit I put it between two bits of chipboard, 12mm stuff, too! Cost the earth to send but at least I knew it was going to turn up fine ... best of luck in trying to get something sorted on it.

richiep

Club Member
I reckon that’s a reasonable price, and being Kameari I would expect it to fit well.
Glad someone was paying attention when I posted about that in the repro panel thread! ;P

That is the route I would go down if a metal original was not available.

Huw

Club Member
Bought some bling for the ZX. Nice guy on eBay selling retro wheel centre caps. Nice quality and a third of the price from suppliers in the US like Zcardepot. Oh and a free steering wheel badge, what’s not to like.

A6741B1E-CE2A-4D76-916A-64210B012089.jpeg
Original on the left and repo on the right

DFC0F8A9-0619-4600-8BC3-6090429817DB.jpeg 30FABBF8-0CAB-448A-98F1-054DC24F426A.jpeg

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I've finished putting my new diff with finned cover in and been out for a little test drive.
Double win - I can hear the engine again, AND my home-made rear dog leg brace under the diff didn't break!
Shame about the blurry photo :)
DSC_0394.JPG

Huw

Club Member
Busy weekend. I had dropped the gearbox out to fix a weeping rear crank oil seal earlier in the month. Whilst the box was out I took the opportunity this weekend to swap out the flywheel with a lightened Fidanza aluminium flywheel and a new stage 2 XTD clutch. Never heard of the make before until I was recommended to give them a try from a colleague.

9168BC52-540A-4AF1-918D-72203335F265.jpeg B7744FB7-233D-44E2-A0AB-4A5F42B709DF.jpeg

Took the car for a spin to test it out, drives really smooth. It appears to be a good flywheel and clutch combo I must say, but it’s early days yet and it still has to bed in. The Engine revs nice and freely and the car seems far more responsive on the throttle. It was a blast taking the ZX for a spin across the Mendips in the late December sunshine.

B7078788-69F5-4A60-AC94-E0DC9770CF07.jpeg

After all that fun it was unfortunately time to put the car to bed for winter in it’s Airchamber. All in all a good weekends work. :)

Mr.G

Club Member
Very satisfying work Huw, had the Fidanza on now for some time. Very happy.

When i bought mine maybe 10 years ago now, i had to import from the US, did you find a UK source?

Reactions: Huw

Huw

Club Member
Very satisfying work Huw, had the Fidanza on now for some time. Very happy.

When i bought mine maybe 10 years ago now, i had to import from the US, did you find a UK source?

It was an eBay purchase to be honest, cheaper that other sources but still a US supplier. The XTD clutch also came from the US. Just don't seem to find parts that fit the 280ZX in the UK as readily as you used to. More so as Mike is sadly no longer with us.