260Z Project - 260Z GT-R

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Very encouraging for you I'm sure. I know you were depressed about the car for a while so hope that you are now ok about it.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Club Member
Incredible workmanship! You found the right guy
Lovely to watch isn't it.

Very encouraging for you I'm sure. I know you were depressed about the car for a while so hope that you are now ok about it.
Think I've come to terms with it. Seeing the quality and skill of Resto Shacks work helps. It didn't help that I was without a job just before all that work was revealed. Yes, the work is going to cost, but its good enough quality that the car will end up perfect and since its been taken back as far as possible everywhere, I can be happy its as rust free as its possible to get and should give me many many years without issue. Since I plan to own this car for a very long time this is exactly what I need. Even if I bought a supposedly mint car, without stripping it back I'd always have doubts on my mind.

I think the car will end up great.

Fantastic stuff. I'm sure the bill is going to be hefty but the work done has been to a very high standard (which costs).
Yes, but you get what you pay for. :cheers:

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Kudos to you Ian, a lot of people would have just given up and walked away....

The fabrication work that those guys are doing is something else. I can fully understand why they'd like to take a break after all of that hard work. Please keep the photos coming it looks amazing!

Jay.

Club Member
What a fantastic job he's doing - no wonder he needs a break! Can't wait to see it progress again :) Well done Ian

Ian

Club Member
Can't wait to see it done.
I estimate about a year unfortunately, should have it back late this year or early next, then got loads to do myself when on leave. Hoping to have it on the road before this time next year.

Kudos to you Ian, a lot of people would have just given up and walked away....
I guess I kind of became attached to the car hence wanting to save it, it will be saved, be in top condition throughout and another UK S30 is kept on the road. Win all round.

The fabrication work that those guys are doing is something else. I can fully understand why they'd like to take a break after all of that hard work. Please keep the photos coming it looks amazing!
What a fantastic job he's doing - no wonder he needs a break!
While he might get a break from my car he'll still be plenty busy with others, but I guess its nice to change things up every now and then, sort of a re fresh, probably helps keep the work sharp on each car.

I think Dave would be keen to do more Datsuns in the future so it will be good that people can have a look here to check out the work he does.

Ian

Club Member
Update Time

GebMwteQ.jpeg

Onto the floors now

g3loDpYA.jpeg

Before

J5eJOHOg.jpeg

sUYXM_8Q.jpeg

tcpyruEA.jpeg

Jxxd4fPw.jpeg

Removed

NfeC3VuQ.jpeg

0ffX_nwQ.jpeg

i00cALPQ.jpeg

The floors were for a 240Z but provided a base to start with, they came with rails for a 240Z so of course they were no use, Some ones of the correct size were folded up instead.

cNzFuz1Q.jpeg

3LcohtZA.jpeg

ACLNPY4w.jpeg

Fcnbqf3g(1).jpeg

sdm1xd3Q.jpeg

pEDXkMzw.jpeg

ru5NgJqQ.jpeg

H9mS9_9w.jpeg

Ian

Club Member
I was always thinking that the front end wouldn't need work, after all, I thought I'd already tackled that. I thought wrong though. Previous work needs to come off and be done much better. Rails have surface rust inside but clean up ok just need to repair the mess on the outsides of them.

4nmNQZ8Q.jpeg

m45skBCz.jpeg

sIDZ1tlg.jpeg

Mj0XBcoA.jpeg

qjuHRacw.jpeg

kGVeqtJg.jpeg

4JymdsoA.jpeg

GxcA6Tbg.jpeg

Thats all for now, more soon.

AD240Z

Club Member
Seriously impressive work going into saving your car.

Huge respect all round ... not least for your commitment Ian.

Another thread/project that will get me in my garage tomorrow .

candy red

Club Member
Hi Ian
I've just spent 1hr going back through this thread to remind myself why you went down this route of a total strip down, as i remember how good your car was. Then got to the accident and it all became clear ,I have a lot of respect for you deciding to go this far and the huge amount of money
you are throwing into this car :bow: I would think this will be the most rust free car in the country when finish and will serve you well for many years to come without any issues :coolgleam:

The workmanship that is going into this is like everyone has said ,just incredible :iagree: would love to have access to fabricating equipment like they have instead of a big hammer EXTRA:D but glad to see there using Makita tools the same as me ,at least I've got something right :EXTRAlol:

Great thread thanks for sharing it with us you must be so happy with it all coming together :thumbs:

Now going back to cut some more out of my car :EXTRAeek:

Good luck with it all :bow: Derrick ;)

Turn & Burn

Club Member
You’ve probably got this covered as your panel work looks good, but there’s an extra plate fitted above the wheel well chassis rails where you’re putting new steel in. It’s easy to overlook as it looks like a patch, but it should be there. I’ve attached a picture of Paul Henley’s as his is spot on.0F698FD8-CF39-4B2A-9251-3CB0ED82908B.jpegBB1623E6-EC89-43BA-A2FF-9E125469EAA0.jpeg

Ian

Club Member
Seriously impressive work going into saving your car.
Yes, they are doing a great job.

Huge respect all round ... not least for your commitment Ian.
Thanks, there are times I think I must be mad, probably I am, but I'll end up with a great car at the end, so I'm happy. I'm too driven and committed to this now to accept anything less.

I have a lot of respect for you deciding to go this far and the huge amount of money
you are throwing into this car :bow: I would think this will be the most rust free car in the country when finish and will serve you well for many years to come without any issues
Thanks, I never thought it would cost anything like what it is, but thats how it worked out, at least with the right people working on it it will end up great and I'llhave something really special at the end. A car that will be without issue for a very long time is what I am after.

The workmanship that is going into this is like everyone has said ,just incredible :iagree: would love to have access to fabricating equipment like they have instead of a big hammer EXTRA:D but glad to see there using Makita tools the same as me ,at least I've got something right :EXTRAlol:

Great thread thanks for sharing it with us you must be so happy with it all coming together :thumbs:

Now going back to cut some more out of my car :EXTRAeek:

Good luck with it all :bow: Derrick ;)
Thanks again Derrick. I think we would all love better equipment, its certainly lack of equipment that keeps me from doing some jobs myself, although I am always working on this slowly as and when funds allow. I spent a lot on tools recently, including a full TIG welding setup, looking forward to getting to use it.

Can't go wrong with Brands like Makita or Dewalt, all my tools are dewalt, although that was mostly because I got a good deal on my drill and then just stuck to the one brand after that, so all batteries are the same.

I think you are doing a fantastic job with what tools you have available, you've definitely got skill and I am sure if you had better equipment you would do even better, or at least find it easier to do what you do.

I am happy to see it gradually nearing completion, both from it being closer to me being able to build her up and drive it again and also because the sooner it done the sooner the financial stain can stop. Its great to see that I found someone I can trust to do a proper job and that nothing is hidden, I can see every step of the process.

Absolutely beautiful work from those guys! You'll really know it's 100% rust free once it's all finished.
Yes, will sleep better then. It will be as rust free as possible, can't wait.

You’ve probably got this covered as your panel work looks good, but there’s an extra plate fitted above the wheel well chassis rails where you’re putting new steel in. It’s easy to overlook as it looks like a patch, but it should be there. I’ve attached a picture of Paul Henley’s as his is spot on.
Thanks, it looks like that is there for additional strengthening, with all the strengthening that is being done to this shell it might not be needed, but I will take this into consideration. This won't be built to look exactly like OEM either, since most of the engineering isn't there is no point on the shell, some things will be improved over OEM or just done more simply.

did they put any pressings in the floors
Here you go.

68vvmBDw.jpeg

oFk3C0Tw.jpeg

Strengthening the join with the new rail.

oYFMIfBg.jpeg

S_ULks5w.jpeg

b4uioAUg.jpeg

jmNig8FQ.jpeg

NLRkKJLw.jpeg

U1lrkkPw.jpeg

qaZNzLLQ.jpeg

1GKZ8Jcw.jpeg

Making more room for my downpipe. Dave had forgotten about this for a bit, but happily fixed it when I reminded him, gives me more leeway with downpipe design as I am looking to go equal length.

IMG_0886.JPG