• I want to fun-race my car here

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • I want to also go abroad and race my car

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I want to work on a race-car in the pits

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I want to generally help out in the pits

• I want to help out from home, logistics, planning, booking and editing/uploading videos

• I want to come along spectate, take videos and photos

• Total voters

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all those of you who enjoy or have enjoyed open-pit track-days and now want to move onto something more thrilling but without the expense and hassle of getting MSA/FIA papers for your car !

Brief history :

I am priveledged to know many racers throughout Europe either socially or via keyboard exchanges or simply customers and now friends.
What I see are a lot of talented, motivated people all working by themselves in their corner with the intention to race competitively in one series or another - the majority of them with homologated cars.
There are also others I know of that would like to see the same action but they can't commit top to that level of racing.

I'd like to see these two types of people (and more besides) group together at less formal fixtures where we can all share in the fun together and help one another.

I've been generously given my best shot at this with a track-Z and what I propose is an informal Datsun team, (Team Vache , for those who don't take themselves too seriously-albeit very seriously competitive on the track).

This could take the form of a network of like-minded owners setting up a calender for the forthcoming year and also for people who can't or don't want to race to support the cars in the paddocks which is clearly another good way of participating.

This doesn't have to be just Zs, it can be any Datsun/Nissan - I'm thinking Fairlady Roadsters, S30s, S130, 300ZXs, Cherrys, Sunnys, Bluebirds....there are classes for allc ars within the same races ; the atmosphere is a bit '24Hrs Le Mans' with faster and slower cars so there's always action all around the track.

Now, most of these races are 40mins-ish, some have obligatory pit-stops so two drivers could share a car (helps with costs) and even two ower-drivers swap cars, perhaps in two different classes to broaden the experiences.

In these* types of race series, one only needs the safety equipment installed, seats, helmet, suit etc within the expiry date and that's it - cars can be stock, modified and in some cases, super-modified so long as the block and head is from the same manufacturer - ie an SR20 or 1.6 16V in a Roadster, an RB25/26 in a Z/ZX which would make cheap power - no need for some extensive L-series build-up or imported Rebello stroker !

I haven't made up any plans yet - all I want to know now is if people would be interested.

*types of proposed race-series :

YTCC - smile, it makes you faster ! https://www.ytcc.nl/regulations/

https://www.salooncar.eu/voitures-admises

https://www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk/series

But none of these are championships - each race is it's own entity with no pressure to run the entire season - pick and choose, perhaps depending upon your location and availability.

The idea therefore is to get out there, rag it and have fun and also back in the paddock plus wherever we're lodging for the weekend.
The parallel idea is to help introduce people to real motor-racing, not watching F1 from the couch with a tea and a packet of popcorn and nipping to the toilet when the adverts are on.

Mostly it's about sharing the experience, with the pit crew, pit-helpers, coordinators and media geeks whilst also welcoming spectators, friends and visitors.

As most of us are saying, move onwards from 2020, life is short and oh so fragile so if you're gonna die, at least have some fun doing what you enjoy !

Attachments

• angry_cow_v6.png
    angry_cow_v6.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13

Jay.

Club Member
I did a bunch of track days when I was younger and absolutely loved them - it's something I see myself wanting to do again in the future. This sounds like a great way to bring a bit more "competition" without it becoming all-consuming like a normal race series. Definitely following this idea :)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Jay.

I should better explain I think ; I don't see these type of individual races in whichever series as an alternative to track-days, which still have their place for fun and also very useful for setting up a race-car, but in parellel too :

Eg - if someone is planning 2 or 3 track-days in a year, why not slip in a race-weekend for a change and a toe-dipping in the water ? These guys offer a 'taster' race : https://www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk/series and nothing like being there to soak up hints and advice face to face.

And race-car owners might like to 'reward' their helpers with a track-day bapteme, set the limiter lower if necessary but another, much less risky way of introducing newbies to track-action. Don't forget racers, these are the helpers you trust to tighten up your wheels, top up fluids and check your tyre pressures !

All sorts of ways to have fun, safely, together wherever.

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
What great plan I love watching
Charles barter

Dean is great bloke to watch and pit with

Ben and his girls in hillclimber 240z I like watching 2x

And Tim Brown did some hillvlimbing went to watch a couple of times aswell

Always up for watching and filming

Also wouldnt mind track time too :)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Sean I need to read about this in more detail and it's a bit late for me.

What I would say is that when I was doing trackdays I didn't want anyone around me i just wanted to focus on my car and driving.

I was the same when I was running competitively - my family say it's quite funny how I go into my own stress bubble.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Sean I need to read about this in more detail and it's a bit late for me.

What I would say is that when I was doing trackdays I didn't want anyone around me i just wanted to focus on my car and driving.

I was the same when I was running competitively - my family say it's quite funny how I go into my own stress bubble.

It can only be midday for you Rob unless on holiday the other side of the world.....or do you need your afternoon nap :rolleyes:?

Each to their own, if you wanted to come along and have some fun in a more competitive atmosphere but no 'rubbin' is racing' and there is no seasonal championship - each race is a one off then do so, you can stay in a corner and 'stress', no probs - the aim is also to get more Datsuns out there so the more the merrier.

Just had an exmail exchange with YTCC based in Holland and a long phone chat with the French salooncar club deputy...the obligatory, minimum requirements are really that - minimalised to keep costs down. One can always fit more of course.

SteveK

Forum User
Sean wrote
"In these* types of race series, one only needs the safety equipment installed, seats, helmet, suit etc within the expiry date and that's it - cars can be stock, modified and in some cases, super-modified so long as the block and head is from the same manufacturer - ie an SR20 or 1.6 16V in a Roadster, an RB25/26 in a Z/ZX which would make cheap power - no need for some extensive L-series build-up or imported Rebello stroker !"

Not wishing to precipitate on anyone's parade but it would also require a national B race license, and a thorough reading of the MSA blue book.

Basic ARDS license will cost you circa £600, plus medical, plus other tests if you're over 45.

As for car prep, I would want at lease a half cage and portable extinguisher etc. £300-500
Seats ..Not an absolute requirement under MSA rules but hey want to risk it.
5 point 3 inch harness £100+
Suit (FIA8856) £300+
Helmet (FIA approved) min £100
Boots (FIA approved) £100+
Gloves (FIA approved) £100+

Entry fees (Time attack was approx. £300 per race)

Tyres, many race series have tyre restrictions from the MSA blue book
Pads
Discs
Fuel

I hear you say "but we didn't need that for tracks days" no, correct but track days are not "racing" ......by comparison they are like going down to the local shops with your mum, hence the need for the ARDS course to ensure you are safe on track at speed in a race environment.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Good clear advice and costs Steve - thanks.

I don't suppose anyone thinks that moving up to racing is just a track-day with timing but your wise words and experience much appreciated.

There is an annual inscription fee for each club and then an inscription fee for each race but, comparably, it's not expensive....I'll dig out and publich the costs this weekend.

Hope you're safe and well.

Nmd14

Club Member
Hi Sean,

Kudos to you for taking this effort on.

You may know of Race Ready Iberian / Iberian Historic Racing, who organise "Gentlemen" races in Portugal and Spain. I think they run under Appendix K but they seem to be growing in popularity and it may be worth you having a word with them?

Hope all is well,

Nick D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Nick.

I'd already looked at their site and regulations :https://www.historicendurance.com/regulations-en

H-1971 Category:

Any pre-1971 Touring (TS) and Grand Touring Cars (GTS) with FIA homologation until (31/12/1971) and FIA HTP papers or national technical passport.Examples: BMW 2002, Datsun 1200, Mini Cooper S MK2, GTAM Alfa Romeo and Ferrari 365 GTB/4.

H-1976 Category:

Any pre-1976 Touring (TS) and Grand Touring Cars (GTS) with FIA homologation until (31/12/1976) and FIA HTP papersExamples: De Tomaso Pantera, Fiat 128 S, Ford Capri and Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 RS.

Any homologation or amendment dated after 31/12/1976 is not allowed.

H-C Category: "Invited" Competition Cars

This category is for Cars not allowed in any of the previous categories or cars not complying with the Appendix K. However, some cars can be considered eligible to race if the organization committee believes it will improve both the spectacle and improve other drivers’ enjoyment.

What is Appendix K?

Is the FIA common set of rules that governs Historic Racing in Europe. It dictates that only the changes made to the cars at the time can be replicated, and is usually documented on the homologation form or through a set of rules in force at that time.

So basically, those of us without FIA or national technical passport (ie for the UK MSA and France FFSA), we could have a request for inscription authorised but I kinda ruled it out as being uncertain and a long way away.

But I'll check with my racing friends down there what the local 'feeling' is - cheers.