MZR podcast - good chat with Rahail

AD240Z

Club Member
A 'lot' of cars ? Hmmm, and whether they're entitled to be called 'really* MZR cars', their photos have been (still are ?) exploited on the MZR website and media pages.

I think a register would be a great idea but what do I know, so there are real MZR cars and not so real, some with bespoke parts - a certain Samuri springs to mind with some rare wheels, some with none at all.

MZR was founded in 2013 but it was only after 5yrs production that cars became MZRs...o_O

That was the most surprising part of the discussion for me .

I’m sure it would raise an eyebrow with a few early MZR owners too .

On the plus side - the z club of 2040/50 can have some lovely threads on real MZRs in the classifieds discussion .

AD240Z

Club Member
I had Tuna Sushi for tea (sorry Dinner) tonight

Agreed we need the banter to stop the depressing "its franky and Alba way" or no way

I’d love to see a thread with a poll on what to call evening meal ......

Perhaps another on how to pronounce scone and whether it’s jam or cream first ....

If we are allowed .....

Robbie J

Club Member

Perhaps another on how to pronounce scone and whether it’s jam or cream first ....

If we are allowed .....
I'm from the midlands but lived "down south" for 25 years, it is great when I hear "cob" and "mardy" but I realise i don't sound the same but my son really has a posh accent....

AD240Z

Club Member
Hang on, we can't even determine what constitues a proper Samuri yet....

What have you against North Eastern English towns ? Looks like a nice beach.

:D. Something else we may still be discussing in 20 years .

Funnily enough - I was in Hartlepool reading the forum today . Another glamorous northern location.

For anyone not familiar - locals are referred to as ‘monkey hangers’ - due to :

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/The-Hanging-of-the-Hartlepool-Monkey/

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User

If we are allowed .....

Neither, neither....

MZRs, a great package of parts...but what is 'new' ?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
A 'lot' of cars ? Hmmm, and whether they're entitled to be called 'really* MZR cars', their photos have been (still are ?) exploited on the MZR website and media pages.

I think a register would be a great idea but what do I know, so there are real MZR cars and not so real, some with bespoke parts - a certain Samuri springs to mind with some rare wheels, some with none at all.

LOL. So now you're actively calling into question what is and what isn't "a real MZR", using the word "exploited" (hyperbolically) in reference to photos of cars on the MZR website, and positing that there are "real MZR cars and not so real". And all this on a thread where you were suggesting that someone needs to make an approach to Rahail on behalf of the club to suggest that MZR host a tea & buns meet for club members...

Just a hunch, but I'd say it is probably in MZR's gift to decide what is their product, what that product was when it was sold and what is 'real' or not. Not yours. As and when *fake* MZR cars start turning up you might and others might voice your opinion, but until then I think MZR get to call it how they see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I’m sure it would raise an eyebrow with a few early MZR owners too .

Do you think there are any 'MZR owners' who don't actually understand what their car is?

It doesn't seem very complicated to me. Rahail and Martin restored & modified a few cars before they came up with the more specific MZR 'Edition' type cars, so anybody who owns a car from those first few is very likely to know exactly what they have got.

Who is suggesting any kind of con or impropriety?

AD240Z

Club Member
Do you think there are any 'MZR owners' who don't actually understand what their car is?

It doesn't seem very complicated to me. Rahail and Martin restored & modified a few cars before they came up with the more specific MZR 'Edition' type cars, so anybody who owns a car from those first few is very likely to know exactly what they have got.

Who is suggesting any kind of con or impropriety?

I’m fairly sure if someone had suggested some kind of con or impropriety you have used your keen forum quoting skills . In the absence - I’d say your throwing it in there - probably just hoping for a reaction .

Whether they understand what they have or not is an item for speculation right now . I’m sure when start coming up for sale - we can comment more accurately and appropriately.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User

MZR was founded in 2013 but it was only after 5yrs production that cars became MZRs...o_O

Call it an MZR car all you want, its still a Datsun 240Z.

Just like a Shelby GT500 is a Ford Mustang with a tacky ill fitting body kit and a Samuri is a 240Z with an ugly paint job (at least its not to my flavour) :D

Im posting for the first time in ages just to wind people up, seems all this forum is about nowadays anyway.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
thread is cleaned up, and I'll open it again.
The topic is the podcast with Rahail about MZR.
Please keep on topic and be respectful to each other.

Last edited:

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I think the early MZR cars were an absolute steal, wish I'd had the money when the white, orange or dark green ones had been up for sale. I think it's a little sad that they seem to be phasing out the 'classic' editions but as has been said in other threads there's not much margin in mostly-stock restorations these days - the people with deep pockets want 100% custom.

You also can't begrudge them protecting what makes their cars unique, they are a business after all. The discussion about whether Singers / MZR custom builds etc are 'kit cars' on the other hand is a huge can of worms. From the DVLA-letter-of-the-law point of view they should probably all be on a Q-Plate.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The discussion about whether Singers / MZR custom builds etc are 'kit cars' on the other hand is a huge can of worms. From the DVLA-letter-of-the-law point of view they should probably all be on a Q-Plate.

Debatable, but in the end some amount of pragmatism needs to come into play when interpreting the spirit of those laws balanced against the letter. If not, half the cars owned by members of this forum would be in the same Q-plated boat.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Well, I for one, like 'em. Even though I'm in the 'let's keep 'em more original' camp.

They're not built using off-the-shelf parts that anyone could build. And that costs. Can I afford one? No.

Would the correct six numbers buy me one? It sure as hell would.

Bazzateer

Club Member
Evening meal is dinner.
A scone (pron. sc 'own') contains fruit. A scone (pron. sc 'on') is plain with no fruit, sometimes savoury such as a cheese scone. It's a sc 'on' because the 'fruit's gone'.;)
Cream first.

Happy to help :)

AD240Z

Club Member
EF993B83-2E0F-44A9-BD98-79043959568F.jpeg
Evening meal is dinner.
A scone (pron. sc 'own') contains fruit. A scone (pron. sc 'on') is plain with no fruit, sometimes savoury such as a cheese scone. It's a sc 'on' because the 'fruit's gone'.;)
Cream first.

Happy to help :)

C’mon moderators - step in. This is anarchic .

Next he’ll be telling us - that milk goes in before / with the teabag .

Back on thread (ish) google reviews has them at 5⭐️ - and I’m not sure if google translate had a hand - but this is taking personalisation a step further.

Attachments

• 341EC53C-290A-4A95-A7BA-14CA8056B0AC.jpeg
    341EC53C-290A-4A95-A7BA-14CA8056B0AC.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 9

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Black coffee you Philistines and tea as strong as possible (with milk whether before or after.

Btw, the translation from French is wrong :

It should rear at the end ''which suits you' NOT looks like you !

status

Well-Known Forum User
Just read the tail end of this thread and Railhai has hit the nail on the head,all you lot do is try and slag or find fault with pretty much anything good or bad that comes on the forum by picking at wot ever it might be,Yes Railhail with all the mods Done to mine I stick to Wot I said about Valuation and for the record Martin painted my 260z in about 2005 and it still looks the nuts now, in fact I spoke to Raihail after our Le Mans trip last year as needed to match up the paint and he was most helpful as Martin was on holiday,got hold of Martin in the end and as for wot Ralhail said about people leaving the club is true due to the fact you can’t have a laugh and joke on here cos certain people don’t like it
I say keep up the Z builds he does cos they are really nice and bottom line is he doesn’t need a forum full of negative comments that he might get on here cos if he doesn’t want to tell you where he gets his stuff then I say good on yer
Comparison with that is someone wanted to do a cover of an ABBA song and Benny said write yer own songs hence you vary rarely hear a band do a cover of an ABBA song
So wot I say is lets all be nice and be car enthusiasts like some of us truly are and stop nitpicking at every poxy car that comes to light cos it is wot it is ,simple really ,you might even get people want to join the forum instead of leave like some of us are doing when our membership expires

AD240Z

Club Member
Just read the tail end of this thread and Railhai has hit the nail on the head,all you lot do is try and slag or find fault with pretty much anything good or bad that comes on the forum by picking at wot ever it might be,Yes Railhail with all the mods Done to mine I stick to Wot I said about Valuation and for the record Martin painted my 260z in about 2005 and it still looks the nuts now, in fact I spoke to Raihail after our Le Mans trip last year as needed to match up the paint and he was most helpful as Martin was on holiday,got hold of Martin in the end and as for wot Ralhail said about people leaving the club is true due to the fact you can’t have a laugh and joke on here cos certain people don’t like it
I say keep up the Z builds he does cos they are really nice and bottom line is he doesn’t need a forum full of negative comments that he might get on here cos if he doesn’t want to tell you where he gets his stuff then I say good on yer
Comparison with that is someone wanted to do a cover of an ABBA song and Benny said write yer own songs hence you vary rarely hear a band do a cover of an ABBA song
So wot I say is lets all be nice and be car enthusiasts like some of us truly are and stop nitpicking at every poxy car that comes to light cos it is wot it is ,simple really ,you might even get people want to join the forum instead of leave like some of us are doing when our membership expires

I think there is an element of that on this forum, and it as a subject crops up all the time. Perhaps that as a topic - that could be pursued in the members area - and that discussion could be encouraged and supported by the club/comittee?

I don't think that actual 'car bashing' was prevalent on this thread - and from memory ( and I'm quoting post moderation) there wasnt any criticism of actual MZR vehicles or workmanship?
In fact quite the contrary. There was a general admiration for the cars themselves and for what the Company have acheived . That in itself is a positive ( for the club ? -and potential future relations).

There has to be room for debate and discussion to keep the forum alive and threads ticking over . Opinions differ and how people stress those opinions will also vary. I agree there is probably room for fourm etiquette improvement - and in the meantime we are in the hands of the mods on that I guess.

Without members like yourself with passion and experience - there isnt a club . I've benefiitted from being a member on technical issues , and gain inpsiration from thread builds and enjoy much of the banter - and i consider it just that. I just ignore it if its not to my taste.

Before you decide to leave have a cup of tea and a think .

Its water poured over the teabag - then teabag removed before adding the milk.
If your having a scone with it . Butter - then jam - then cream .................. :D