260z Restoration - Let's get started

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Beautiful. A top quality restoration and in just 4 years, impressive for a hobby.

I hope the start-up goes well.

status

Well-Known Forum User
I’ve got the Vauxhall omega coil packs on mine and like yours in the same place,Jonm put an A/F on mine whilst I’m running in the Rebello,quite like the idea of a permanent fixture also I’m thinking of getting some pipe work bent up in the right direction to accommodate the air filter better as you say the 260 hole is bigger but running a 3.2 or 3.1 you need the right air filter and they are usually bigger than yer norm

tyroguru

Club Member
More steady progress, nearly there!
Wiring loom finished and tested, I fired up the ecu for the 1st time today, checked all signals and turned her over for the 1st time to get the oil circulating again as it’s been stood for a while since I primed it. I had a few issues with the crank signal and ended up having to split the sensor wire out of the loom I’d painstakingly built, despite being sheathed it was getting upset by the air temp sensor which I’d loomed alongside it. I had been warned they’re very sensitive, should have paid more attention!

Fantastic work Andy! Are you using TXL wire? What type of sheathing have you used (expandable braid, heat shrink such as Raychem DR-25?)? I'm years of this stuff but it's super interesting!

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Fantastic work Andy! Are you using TXL wire? What type of sheathing have you used (expandable braid, heat shrink such as Raychem DR-25?)? I'm years of this stuff but it's super interesting!
I’ve used expandable braid for some of the loom, normal sheathing in some areas but always finished the ends on either type with heat shrink. The expandable stuff isn’t bad but frays like mad so really needs tidied with heatshrink, only problem as soon as you go near it with a heat gun it deforms!
I’ve just had to google TXL wire, I’d never heard of it or used it on anything I’ve built, generally I’ll use thin wall PVC from 12v Planet or Vehicle Wiring Products. I’d love to build a loom that can’t be seen
like the MZR builds but as I was kind of making it up as I went it and with that sort of loom it really needs planned beforehand and run in the airtubes and other discreet areas.

Last edited:

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Had an afternoon back on the tools and sorted the last bit of outstanding rust. One of my inner sill plates, the one that holds the carpet, was absolutely rotten with rust. I put a post up for a replacement but got nothing, even had a look at importing a new from from the states but after duties I was in at nearly £100 so I decided to attempt repair which I hadn’t fancied as it was so flimsy.
I cut away the rusted section and fab’d up a replacement piece using the t-bar shaft off m 1/2” socket set as a former, the welding was a bit tricky but the end result is ok. I zinc primed it all and vinyl wrapped it using textured vinyl to match the original. All sorted for a tenner and almost indistinguishable from a new one!

Attachments

• C330F863-459B-46F6-A479-304AB4AD3DCE.jpeg
    C330F863-459B-46F6-A479-304AB4AD3DCE.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 503C9238-AC1C-4247-86F1-484D73429D6D.jpeg
    503C9238-AC1C-4247-86F1-484D73429D6D.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 3D6AFCD0-06A2-4561-8DDB-CDFCD3E56400.jpeg
    3D6AFCD0-06A2-4561-8DDB-CDFCD3E56400.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 7732EE21-628D-4C0B-AF8F-B0FAE5B547FC.jpeg
    7732EE21-628D-4C0B-AF8F-B0FAE5B547FC.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 57
  • FCD01929-2FB5-4FA9-9968-405638C93E32.jpeg
    FCD01929-2FB5-4FA9-9968-405638C93E32.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 58

Pondo

Club Member
Had an afternoon back on the tools and sorted the last bit of outstanding rust. One of my inner sill plates, the one that holds the carpet, was absolutely rotten with rust. I put a post up for a replacement but got nothing, even had a look at importing a new from from the states but after duties I was in at nearly £100 so I decided to attempt repair which I hadn’t fancied as it was so flimsy.
I cut away the rusted section and fab’d up a replacement piece using the t-bar shaft off m 1/2” socket set as a former, the welding was a bit tricky but the end result is ok. I zinc primed it all and vinyl wrapped it using textured vinyl to match the original. All sorted for a tenner and almost indistinguishable from a new one!
Mine is in the same state, i will happily pay a tenner for you to sort, that looks just the job ;)

candy red

Club Member
Hi Andy
Just been playing catch up on your thread car looks amazing love the colour love your attention to detail great work look forward to seeing it in the flesh 1 day :bow:;):coolgleam:

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Hi Andy
Just been playing catch up on your thread car looks amazing love the colour love your attention to detail great work look forward to seeing it in the flesh 1 day :bow:;):coolgleam:
Thanks Derrick, nearly there now. I keep watching ur progress and it jogs my memory as to how much work there really is on a job like this. It’s easy to forget! I was looking for inner sill pics as I’ve had to to a very similar repair to yours but I left mine on the car

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Well she’s nearly there!
Up n running however the ecu base map is a mile off, a/f was up near 19:1, I’ve managed to tweak the map back on low throttle openings to nearer 14.7. I’ve got a simple tuning session sorted for tomorrow, I can hook the car up to Dave Walker at Emerald and he’ll tune the car online from down the country. It should get it to driveable. (How cool is that? and all part of the service!!).
I’ve spent a couple of evenings fitting the bonnet and getting the front end gaps right, I’m still not happy with the top of the doors / front wing gap but maybe I’m applying modern standards to old cars.
Anyway had to share this.... I reckon it looks awesome, but I’m biased!4F88CBF8-ED96-42AA-9A69-8D038A512462.jpeg

Paul Henley

Club Member
Stunning mate, absolutely stunning. Don't understand most of the technology you've used in this build, its way above my basic mechanical knowledge, its going to be fantastic when finished, can't wait for normality to return so I can walk round and see it in the flesh. Love it mate.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Incredible - love it.

Member's cars are getting better every year.

These don't look like 50 year old designs do they?