Car identification - S30 or not?

uk66fastback

Club Member
Bit of a discussion over on Pistonheads about whether the car two up from the MkIV Cortina is an S30 ...

Some say it is - and some say it ain't ...

The thread in question:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=&t=1807882

eNUEeRQU.jpg

5haftJic.png

yellowz

Club Member
How old is that photo....................

Just had a quiet groan - I can recognise most of the cars from what little we can see of their aspect!

AD240Z

Club Member
How old is that photo....................

Just had a quiet groan - I can recognise most of the cars from what little we can see of their aspect!

It says 1981 - Cambridge .

I was 7 but can recognise most on their too . Some good pics on the thread .

I love just day to day shots of nothing in particular and car spotting ....

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
7472D07F-BDAC-4DA2-BF3F-F7A2D6F21189.jpeg Saw this on PH.
I initially thought deffo S30 by gutter strips and rear hatch etc.
But the only thing that throws me is the shape of the vertical line at the end of the rear wing where it meets the rear light panel. It’s different

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Because it has been modified/customised.

Unless you think that three-piece rear spoiler, the quad tail lamps and the extended wheel arch lips are stock?

It's an S30-series Z with some personalised touches.
No you swede, I might be stupid but not blind.
My point is that aside from the OBVIOUS, the contour of the rear wing edge is a different shape. Not something that is changeable without major welding and shaping. It’s the rear qtr

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
No you swede, I might be stupid but not blind.

Looking from where I'm sitting, the jury's still out on that one...

I don't know what you are seeing/comprehending? I look at the image and I see a car wearing a very typical example of a 3-piece custom rear spoiler. The two end pieces sit on the rear quarters, while the centre section sits on the tailgate and lifts with it while the end pieces stay put.

There were many different versions, and versions of versions, of these over the years. Here's a classic - although slightly taller and more pointed - example:

11937174.jpg 11937172.jpg Cambridge-1.JPG

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Not talking about spoilers

With such a low-res, compressed perspective image I don't see how it would be possible to discern what is spoiler and what is not.

We do however have all the other evidence to support it being an S30-series Z: Roofline, gutters and gutter trim, rear window and rear window seal/trim, tailgate shape and shutlines, beltline shape, rear valance shape and outline of rear suspension control arm. You can even see the nut on the rear anti roll bar drop link.

I don't know what you are suggesting? It seems clear that it is a customised S30-series Z. What else could it be?

I guess it could be the one and only Butterworth-Fritzpauler Munter GTX Mark 2 (which was based, as any fule kno, on the Mark 1) but somehow it seems kind of unlikely, as it never went much further east than Swindon before being caught up in that nasty business near Wookey Hole in 1989.