What did you do to your Z this week?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Not a pretty sight, is there any other damage?
They had a quick look with the borescope and it doesn't look like there was any piston/valve contact, so I'm hoping it's only the cam, a couple of rockers and a couple of lash pads. I've got a spare of the cam and some spare rockers, so might not be too painful.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Seriously? 8700!
Yeah, I was hoping to push on to 9k later :)
Ohhh crap! Do you know the cause of the failure?
Holy crap Jon.
Lash pads came out?
ooof. all ok? that cams had a lot of meat off it, possible vibration at those RPM and reduced pressure on the rockers given the base circle?

My guess is that with those revs there was some valve float and a collet or a lashpad came out, which displaced the first rocker which hit then next and so on. All the damage is constrained between cam tower 3 and 4 (so cylinders 4 and 5).

This head is going on the LD32; I think I'll have to set the rev limiter to 8000 sadly.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I've been checking out the damage to my engine. All 4 rockers have cleaned up fine. 4 lash pads broken and 2 cam lobes damaged. 1 collet jammed in the valve retainer. There's no contact between valves and cylinders, although piston and head have been getting very very close. I mean close.
BK560009.JPG

DSC_0232.JPG

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Well that didn't go according to plan, I have a feeling this may have never been apart before. By the way it was pretty gnarled with grip marks before I started. Just need to figure out how to fix it now. :unsure::conf2::)

OBBI1497.JPG

Last edited:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Well that didn't go according to plan, I have a feeling this may have never been apart before. By the way it was pretty gnarled with grip marks before I started. Just need to figure out how to fix it now. :unsure::conf2::)

View attachment 41485
Maybe drill a couple or lines of holes so you can get a hacksaw blade in and saw out to the tube. Then heat, oil and whacking.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I managed to get the retainer off #4 exhaust with the stuck collet and cleaned it up, so all the valves are sorted.
I'm waiting for some new lash pads to come from Aus and then it should be running again.
DSC_0241.JPG

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Maybe drill a couple or lines of holes so you can get a hacksaw blade in and saw out to the tube. Then heat, oil and whacking.

Haven’t gone down that route quite yet. Re welded the plate back on to the feral used a fair amount of heat, WD40 and some 3’ long Stillson‘s but still no play time. Left my Dad to play with as he’s bored apparently. Just hope the passenger side proves more forgiving. Oh and is the top mount bearing supposed to rattle :rofl:

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member

View attachment 41485
I might have a spare one, I presume you are changing your shock absorber. What you can do is run some weld round the top as the heat will cause it to expand and then shrink as it cools breaking the seal so that you can get off.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I might have a spare one, I presume you are changing your shock absorber. What you can do is run some weld round the top as the heat will cause it to expand and then shrink as it cools breaking the seal so that you can get off.

Mike thanks very much for the offer but I’ve managed to source a replacement pair. I’m going to persevere anyway and hope to have something usable in the end as a spare.

niroshann

Club Member
Non mechanical work. Looks nice on the face of things! RB25DET skyline gauges into the 280zx. Been working reliably for over a year and now I am transferring over to my other car. Just need to get some rings to fit around the dials to bridge the gaps between the ZX cluster gauge cutouts and the smaller skyline gauge faces.

Attachments

• CD8C2AD9-B373-45DE-AAE0-B8EC92108CF2.jpeg
    CD8C2AD9-B373-45DE-AAE0-B8EC92108CF2.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 13

niroshann

Club Member
This the nightmare behind it all! Piggybacking the skyline cluster board while retaining ZX board as well! There are bound to be better ways of doing this!

Attachments

• BEE8167F-FAF8-4DC1-8AF9-D6BAE0C534FE.jpeg
    BEE8167F-FAF8-4DC1-8AF9-D6BAE0C534FE.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Huw