What classic/modern classic as a daily?

status

Well-Known Forum User
30 + out of a scooby if driven properly,I use to go to Belgium once a month in mine and averaged 33 mpg doing between 65-80 mph both ways it’s the town driving that can cripple the mph but that depends how you drive it just like any other car

status

Well-Known Forum User
And it’s one of the few cars that’s not boring and will allways put a smile on yer face

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Joking aside, they are great fun to drive, just don’t like the no boot idea, even if there is a token gesture of storage behind the seats.

I found the SW20 far more usable as a daily - it even swallowed my golf clubs which bizarrely the Audi A4 estate finds very hard to do, go figure!
Golf clubs? I've clearly misjudged you Ali. I can get my laptop and a toothbrush in the bins behind the seat, That's all I need.

johnymd

Club Member
I’ve never had a newish car and just drive either my old nemo van or one of the 240z’s. Last year I treated myself to a 2006 boxster as a runaround. I absolutely love the car and for under 6k I think they are a bargain. I get 28mpg around town and 33 on a run if I keep below 80. It is currently on loan to racer for a few months as he needs a runaround so this will be a good test of its robustness.

Attachments

• BA11CC9F-1108-4980-8BB5-78C2E52668BA.jpeg
    BA11CC9F-1108-4980-8BB5-78C2E52668BA.jpeg
    417.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 22E0A37F-CED3-4761-B29C-A8520C9D1A22.jpeg
    22E0A37F-CED3-4761-B29C-A8520C9D1A22.jpeg
    432.8 KB · Views: 22

status

Well-Known Forum User
Hope you’ve put some decent boots on it Jon since the other week when we were out in it,set of Michelin pilot sports would suit it

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I've been thinking about this exact question and I think I've settled on a MK1 Audi TT, the 225 bhp Quattro has a pretty bomb proof engine, it's a design classic and it's already started to appreciate. The limited edition sport version is the one to get, but it's already quite pricey.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Coming from a huge background of playing with the 1.8T engine...it is reliable if well looked after - definitely not bomb proof. Rods are weak, turbos are a bit naff, theyre old now so all the old PCV pipework has fell apart, the dual mass flywheels are rubbish etc etc. The 2.0 TFSI engine in the later engine is FAR superior in every aspect. I wouldn't have an old 1.8T as a daily.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Your right their jon as for the hairdressers cars it’s ok if you ain’t got no hair in the first place Rob

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Golf clubs? I've clearly misjudged you Ali. I can get my laptop and a toothbrush in the bins behind the seat, That's all I need.

Never underestimate the power of “a good walk ruined” when it comes to client relationship building!!!! Being a non-drinker, it’s an easy other way to drop their guard. ;)

Boxters, MR2s and TT are hairdresser cars. :devil:

Don’t believe the hype!!!! My hairdresser told me he just bought a Porker, I asked him which model Boxster, he corrected me with “911 Turbo”! Good money in hairdressing, clearly!

I agree with everything Dan said about the 1.8T - my experience with them was the naff turbos comment. One thing I didn’t like about the original TT was poor rear view when parking.

I don’t care what anyone says about the Boxster, it’s a sublimely well balanced car that driven properly, rewards with grins all day. In someways the non-S version is more enjoyable as you can work it harder without getting into too much hot water with the law. I’ve seen Johnny’s machine and it’s A1 condition for the money. Let’s see if it’s still the same when Racer returns it [emoji1787]

skinjim

Club Member
Coming from a huge background of playing with the 1.8T engine...it is reliable if well looked after - definitely not bomb proof. Rods are weak, turbos are a bit naff, theyre old now so all the old PCV pipework has fell apart, the dual mass flywheels are rubbish etc etc. The 2.0 TFSI engine in the later engine is FAR superior in every aspect. I wouldn't have an old 1.8T as a daily.
Oh that's interesting, I was led to believe that the BAM engine was regarded as being pretty strong, is that not the case then?

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Oh that's interesting, I was led to believe that the BAM engine was regarded as being pretty strong, is that not the case then?

Its a strong engine un-tuned. Tuned up even the stock turbo can create enough torque to bend the stock rods.

After that the valvetrain falls down due to valve bounce if you start over-revving things.

Dan