L24 and box on ebay - converting to electric

AD240Z

Club Member
Theres an L24 engine and auto box for sale on ebay .

https://ebay.us/opI7Qa

Stated in the the description - 'Only selling as converting to electric!'

Seller has some Tesla parts for sale too - sounds like someone has an interesting project on the go ?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
As you say, would be interesting to see the outcome!

The sound of my Z had me at “hello”!!! But I wonder if it would be possible to get it 4WD and get the torque vectoring etc working properly. [emoji848]

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Someone could buy that 'unit' to convert an electric car to Datsun power!

What do we think about the asking price? Seems reasonable (worth an offer) to me if it's 'all there' and a swap into a US car that's been standing for years. However it would sell better without the autobox included (as he probably knows).

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
In my opinion solely electric cars are a total waste of time, and a 240z! Words fail me. I thought one of the reasons people bought a Z was for that iconic exhaust noise.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
In my opinion solely electric cars are a total waste of time, and a 240z! Words fail me. I thought one of the reasons people bought a Z was for that iconic exhaust noise.

Yep it doesn't make sense to me either. Electric cars are commuter cars.

Also a converted car is only going to be a huge compromise surely.

richiep

Club Member
Someone could buy that 'unit' to convert an electric car to Datsun power!

What do we think about the asking price? Seems reasonable (worth an offer) to me if it's 'all there' and a swap into a US car that's been standing for years. However it would sell better without the autobox included (as he probably knows).
£1900 reasonable???!!!! Since when for a standard used L24? Forget the auto box/boat anchor. Anything above 800 quid languishes on eBay for months/years. There have been other L24s priced at high three or into four figures that have just sat there. That's a good indicator IMO.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
It is pretty crazy money, I'd only consider that kind of money for a used one if it was the original one for my car!

(L24-109067 - I know you're out there somewhere!)

Mr.G

Club Member
It is crazy money but so is having your car converted to electric, I guess the irony of asking so much for a gasoline engine that is being swapped for electric is that it's still being viewed as a valued commodity. A bit of an oxymoron on the electric car converters part.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
It's easy spending other people's money.:p

If it's a good L24 with carbs, alternator, fuel pump, a/c pump, dizzy and gearbox then it can go straight into a US car. It's worth a bit of negotiation but if you are the kind of owner that can't rebuild engines how much are you going to spend on a bare clapped-out L24 to get it running?

Anyway 'at the end of the day' it will find it's value.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
It is pretty crazy money, I'd only consider that kind of money for a used one if it was the original one for my car!

(L24-109067 - I know you're out there somewhere!)

ooh, I think thats prob the number on my spare L24. or will be soon. £2k you say? [emoji6]

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I don't like electric converted classics, it's just wrong. Takes all the fun away and it sooo expensive to do.

Mark N

Club Member
After the conversion, I'm sure it will be very fast but soulless.
For me, the driving experience is all about sensory inputs.
The noise and smell of the engine/fuel along with thrill of optimizing gear changes on a twisty road would all be replaced with the whine of a motor.
A great sounding engine will always bring a smile to my face.
I thoroughly appreciate the performance of electric vehicles but they just don't provoke the same the same emotions as their internal combustion counterparts.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Just to add to my previous post on why I consider electric cars so utterly useless. Unless you have a charging facility at home charging the batteries will become a nightmare if you're travelling on any sort of journey (I note renault have introduced in car dashboard readouts to identify 'nearby' charging stations) What if when you get there (say 5 miles off route),assuming it's open you find someone using it for say min 1hour, what do you do but park up and wait, then charge yours for another min 1hr. Then after putting min 2 hrs on you journey time you can continue. Totally senseless. Hybrid maybe is the right way to go.