Carburettor Choice

Fastededdie

Club Member
Not sure what to go for Triple Weber 40/45s orthe likes of Solex Minuki 40s . Basically sick of tuning my old SUs to death .

Not sure what to go for Triple Weber 40/45s orthe likes of Solex Minuki 40s . Basically sick of tuning my old SUs to death .

you can get a brand new set of OER's on a new maifold with linkages for less than a set of webers.

That gives you a nice mix of the best bits off each type of carb. They take weber jets also. Winner winner, carbs for dinner.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I very nearly bought these but the £ dropping has made them £300 dearer!

https://www.rhdjapan.com/oer-carburetor-kit-45mm-rod-type.html

£1500+ post and duties.

Then add airbox, piping and filter (let’s say £250 ish)

Electric fuel pump and pressure regulator (£120-150 depending on what you go for)

Full (meaning proper) rolling road tune, say £600-£800 depending on what hourly rates you pay).

All in all I have you in for over £2500 to £3000 by the time you pay for post and import taxes.

Webbers will have you in the same ball park by the time you get the mangoletsi and linkages etc.

The OERs linked above, as Franky alluded to are a better design and come with all the right bits to fit them.

If you think SUs are hard to tune by yourself, DCOEs will be a whole new level above, so you are better off paying someone with a gas analyser, rolling road and a variety of needles and chokes etc to do it for you.

Here is my local place’s pricing ...

https://www.cckhistoric.com/rolling-road-tuning/

Typically I am told by the tuners above that to do it properly across the entire rev range, you need between 4-6 hours on the RR. But more experienced heads than me who have done it could comment.

I am told that once turned, the DCOEs are fire and forget. True or false? Only those who have had them on their cars for many 000s of miles can know for sure.

Now just to complicate your life, I am now wondering if I should start batting for the other side (according to Franky) in the future and go Jenvey Heritage ...

https://store.jenvey.co.uk/throttle-bodies-and-components/throttle-bodies/heritage-dcoe
yummmmmie!

Last edited:

peter_s

Club Member
Now just to complicate your life, I am now wondering if I should start batting for the other side (according to Franky) in the future and go Jenvey Heritage ...

https://store.jenvey.co.uk/throttle-bodies-and-components/throttle-bodies/heritage-dcoe
yummmmmie!
I don't have the Heritage kit, but I'm installing the Jenvey/DSI kit on my new engine right now.

Don't forget you will have to rewire the car and run a new ECU, so there are more costs to consider going the efi route... Then you might as well run a trigger wheel and some coil on plugs.

However, to me it's worth the time, effort and money just to get rid of carburettors. I don't enjoy running carbs, I actually really dislike carbs :D

They look beautiful and are simple, but that's about the only benefit to me.

richiep

Club Member
Weber DCOEs are not necessarily fire and forget. They have a certain rep for needing revisiting every once in while; also people get sucked down the rabbit hole of messing with them. Balance can be an issue, although poor linkages on older mainfold types undoubtedly play a role in this.

Also - £600-800 RR Ali? Sounds like Southern rip-off behavior again! Granted it was a decade ago, but my car was rolling road tuned at Ric Wood Motorsport for £270!

Personally, I'm a Dellorto fan if we are talking non-Japanese triple varieties. Weber DCOEs were designed as race carbs. Their jet circuit is designed, in simple terms, to be idle to full-on. Dellortos have an additional, intermediate jetting stage that offers a transition from idle to balls-out, so they are consequently more civilised for road use. The set on my red Z have indeed been fire and forget, although switching to the SKiddell airbox in 2019 was highly beneficial in addressing certain little niggles.

You can pick up used/rebuilt DHLAs for considerably less than the other mentioned new types. You just need to make sure when assembling a triple set (usually from a pair and a separate third) that the third one is of a matching casting version. They are easy to DIY rebuild too. Unlike SUs, they have relatively few moving parts and are easy to adjust to a baseline using something like the data in the "How to Power Tune Dellorto and Weber Carburettors" book to select a suitable formula of jets, correctors, chokes, etc.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Also - £600-800 RR Ali? Sounds like Southern rip-off behavior again! Granted it was a decade ago, but my car was rolling road tuned at Ric Wood Motorsport for £270!

That’s a about an hour and a half down this way !! ;)

Fastededdie

Club Member
Weber DCOEs are not necessarily fire and forget. They have a certain rep for needing revisiting every once in while; also people get sucked down the rabbit hole of messing with them. Balance can be an issue, although poor linkages on older mainfold types undoubtedly play a role in this.

Personally, I'm a Dellorto fan if we are talking non-Japanese triple varieties. Weber DCOEs were designed as race carbs. Their jet circuit is designed, in simple terms, to be idle to full-on. Dellortos have an additional, intermediate jetting stage that offers a transition from idle to balls-out, so they are consequently more civilised for road use. The set on my red Z have indeed been fire and forget, although switching to the SKiddell airbox in 2019 was highly beneficial in addressing certain little niggles.

You can pick up used/rebuilt DHLAs for considerably less than the other mentioned new types. You just need to make sure when assembling a triple set (usually from a pair and a separate third) that the third one is of a matching casting version. They are easy to DIY rebuild too. Unlike SUs, they have relatively few moving parts and are easy to adjust to a baseline using something like the data in the "How to Power Tune Dellorto and Weber Carburettors" book to select a suitable formula of jets, correctors, chokes, etc.
Would something like this work https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dellorto...978351?hash=item28973beb6f:g:i1sAAOSwhRZee8Z3 then a third one ?

Fastededdie

Club Member
I very nearly bought these but the £ dropping has made them £300 dearer!

https://www.rhdjapan.com/oer-carburetor-kit-45mm-rod-type.html

£1500+ post and duties.

Then add airbox, piping and filter (let’s say £250 ish)

Electric fuel pump and pressure regulator (£120-150 depending on what you go for)

Full (meaning proper) rolling road tune, say £600-£800 depending on what hourly rates you pay).

All in all I have you in for over £2500 to £3000 by the time you pay for post and import taxes.

Webbers will have you in the same ball park by the time you get the mangoletsi and linkages etc.

The OERs linked above, as Franky alluded to are a better design and come with all the right bits to fit them.

If you think SUs are hard to tune by yourself, DCOEs will be a whole new level above, so you are better off paying someone with a gas analyser, rolling road and a variety of needles and chokes etc to do it for you.

Here is my local place’s pricing ...

https://www.cckhistoric.com/rolling-road-tuning/

Typically I am told by the tuners above that to do it properly across the entire rev range, you need between 4-6 hours on the RR. But more experienced heads than me who have done it could comment.

I am told that once turned, the DCOEs are fire and forget. True or false? Only those who have had them on their cars for many 000s of miles can know for sure.

yummmmmie!

Attachments

• IMG_0885(1).jpg
    IMG_0885(1).jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0881(1).jpg
    IMG_0881(1).jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 22

datsfun

Club Member

Whilst everyone is rooting for triples, why not replace the old Hitachi SU's with new SU units? I was under the impression that 1.75" were available new and with slight mods can be made to work easy on L6 engines especially if you are not chasing the last bhp or scene points.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Burden do a set - in fact they have two left in stock at c. £700 + post.

http://sucarb.co.uk/pair-of-hs6-carburettors-for-a-datsun-240z-260z-conversion-set.html

ZT prices ...

https://www.ztherapy.com/products/masterprices/master_price_list.htm

By the time you pay postage and import duties it comes in at C.£780 (just north of $1000).

They cost much the same except that you can have the HS6s now.

Been very happy with my ZT carbs - they transformed my car. Old worn carbs were frankly impossible to tune!!!

Let’s complicate again, Farmer42 recently did a great write up on 2” SU upgrade. If you are going non-Japanese why not go 2” and get the extra power?

Whilst everyone is rooting for triples, why not replace the old Hitachi SU's with new SU units? I was under the impression that 1.75" were available new and with slight mods can be made to work easy on L6 engines especially if you are not chasing the last bhp or scene points.

How dare you say such a thing when others are trying to live their lives vicariously through others.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Bear in mind the shipping to and from the US (for the ZTherapy work) is NOT cheap ... never mind the work they do once they have them (which is excellent though).

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Bear in mind the shipping to and from the US (for the ZTherapy work) is NOT cheap ... never mind the work they do once they have them (which is excellent though).

Or alternatively you pay the $200 core charge which still makes it expensive. :(

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
mild hijack ...

What difference would i expect to see if i got a set of HS6s over the Hitachi SUs other than parts.
Is there any difference in performance? reliability?

I bought farmers old Hitachits to take to the US when i was doing 3-4 business trips a year there but that all stopped 18 months ago, exchange rates just made it less appealing.

Farmer42

Club Member
.........Let’s complicate again, Farmer42 recently did a great write up on 2” SU upgrade. If you are going non-Japanese why not go 2” and get the extra power?

My write up was about 1.75 inch SUs not 2 inch. You can pick up a set of 1.75 inch SUs pretty cheap and as long as the throttle shaft bushes are ok, you can completely refurbish them yourself for around £250. Burlen can even replace these for £60 each carb. There are a few pairs going on e-bay at the moment but this is one I picked out as an example- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-...984067?hash=item523a45ff03:g:yOcAAOSwJ9lfLwhj. I think I paid around £100 for mine.

The beauty is that every part is available and you can get them within a couple of days.

Fastededdie

Club Member
mild hijack ...

What difference would i expect to see if i got a set of HS6s over the Hitachi SUs other than parts.
Is there any difference in performance? reliability?

I bought farmers old Hitachits to take to the US when i was doing 3-4 business trips a year there but that all stopped 18 months ago, exchange rates just made it less appealing.
If you do get a set of HS6s I will have a set with manifold if you like .