16" wheels - tyre choices?

arcdef

Club Member
Hey,

Car currently has 16" wheels with 225/45/16 track orientated tyres which are getting close to the minimum tread.

Whilst these tyres are great for grip i do find them a bit harsh over bumps and was looking to go for a performance road tyre instead however they don't seem to make any in that size.

I am pretty sure i can move up to a 50 profile without having to touch the arches but still my choices are limited and cant seem to find a performance tyre.

Does anyone have any advise or experience of this size wheel and what tyre is best (car has a bit more power than stock so need some strong grip)?

Thanks,

Ash

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I have t1r and quite like them. I agree you should be fine to go up a profile.

datsfun

Club Member
I have t1r and quite like them. I agree you should be fine to go up a profile.

All depends on offset of current wheel. All it takes is an extra mm or two for the tyre to catch...

A common complaint of the t1r is that it has soft sidewalls. Not an issue for general fast road use IMHO.

arcdef

Club Member
All depends on offset of current wheel. All it takes is an extra mm or two for the tyre to catch...

A common complaint of the t1r is that it has soft sidewalls. Not an issue for general fast road use IMHO.

I cant see any marking on the inside of the wheel to know this and no idea what brand it is. Yeah the soft side walls should be fine for road use, i think stiff side walls are the reason my current tyres are quite harsh.

johnymd

Club Member
TR1 would me my choice. Stick with the 225's and and 50 profile will be fine. The car never rubbed on a trackday at brands or round the Nuremberg ring.

arcdef

Club Member
TR1 would me my choice. Stick with the 225's and and 50 profile will be fine. The car never rubbed on a trackday at brands or round the Nuremberg ring.
Thanks, first hand experience beats me speculating! Do you remember the wheel size/offset by any chance?

peter_s

Club Member
225 on the tr1 is the same as 205 on the AD08rs. The ad08 is very wide on top, it's almost square in profile.

Just a heads up if anyone wants to try 225s on the AD08, don't :)

johnymd

Club Member
That's correct Peter and I've advised people of this many times. I only get away with it on my blue car because the adjustable lower arms have allowed me to decrease the track just enough to get away with it. Here's a picture of the red car with the suspension compressed and still no rubbing due to the offset and narrower rims.

Attachments

• IMG_4498.jpg
    IMG_4498.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 27

peter_s

Club Member
Hey man, stop posting pics from there. I was supposed to be there this week!!! #depression

Looks great! :)

RyanT

Forum User
225/50/16 on an 8J et0 wheel. They’re great.

Attachments

• 431727B1-4F2E-4DB4-A42D-86B0964DCCFF.jpeg
    431727B1-4F2E-4DB4-A42D-86B0964DCCFF.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 31

AD240Z

Club Member
I have 16 x 7 Rotas on my ‘70. Standard set up.

Good year eagle F1 - 205/55/16 and not had any problems