Are all the steering racks the same ?

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
I have a LHD 280Z and may need to change the steering rack but don't know if the racks for 240/260/280 are the same ?. I have searched the forum but can't find an answer. Can anyone advise me please?.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
240 ones are different to the 260/280 ones I believe, they also vary LHD / RHD and from market to market (the US ones are slower lock to lock)

What's wrong with the current one?

peter_s

Club Member
240 ones are different to the 260/280 ones I believe, they also vary LHD / RHD and from market to market (the US ones are slower lock to lock)

What's wrong with the current one?
Are you sure about that?

I have tried looking into it, and cant find much information. A general idea is that the steering knuckle lengths are different, not the ratio on the racks.

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
I think one of the 'drumsticks', that is the threaded rod sticking out of the rack may be bent. So I am looking for another rack to use as a donor or if good, a straight replacement. I can't find anywhere selling new spares for the steering racks - unless someone knows of such a supplier ?.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I think one of the 'drumsticks', that is the threaded rod sticking out of the rack may be bent. So I am looking for another rack to use as a donor or if good, a straight replacement. I can't find anywhere selling new spares for the steering racks - unless someone knows of such a supplier ?.

There's almost no places in the UK selling spares. Hopefully, somebody on the forum has a 280Z that they've converted to RHD and has the old rack somewhere.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Are you sure about that?

I have tried looking into it, and cant find much information. A general idea is that the steering knuckle lengths are different, not the ratio on the racks.

"A general idea" from where?

There were only ever two steering knuckle lengths used on S30-series Zs: 115mm and 105mm.

The 'short' (105mm) knuckles were never used on Export market models, and the difference in steering between different models/variants was achieved via the rack & pinion ratio.

For example, the rack ratio of the North America market HLS30U 'Datsun 240Z' and its regional sub-variants at launch was 17.8:1, whilst the rest of the world got a 15.8:1 ratio.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
From the above, would this mean that all RHD racks are the same ratio?

The short answer to that is 'no'.

The long answer is quite complicated, but (hopefully) suffice to say that there are several different RHD rack ratios and several different LHD rack ratios.

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User

There were only ever two steering knuckle lengths used on S30-series Zs: 115mm and 105mm.

The 'short' (105mm) knuckles were never used on Export market models, and the difference in steering between different models/variants was achieved via the rack & pinion ratio.

For example, the rack ratio of the North America market HLS30U 'Datsun 240Z' and its regional sub-variants at launch was 17.8:1, whilst the rest of the world got a 15.8:1 ratio.

Thank you Albrecht. Now I need to measure the knuckles ( I know them as drumsticks from my Ford stuff !! ) because I didn't realise the variation. I am not concerned about ratio right now.

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
I have a 280Z LHD steer rack as I've gone RHD!

What are they worth? It passed a MOT last year

That sounds promising. Are you able to measure the knuckles as per Albrechts post please. I will do the same and get back to you.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
That sounds promising. Are you able to measure the knuckles as per Albrechts post please. I will do the same and get back to you.

Terminology check: I was talking about the STEERING KNUCKLE ARMS, which are nothing to do with the steering rack per se. Yes, the outer track rod ends/tie rod ends attach to the steering knuckle arms, but the rack itself is a self-contained bolt-on unit. The knuckle arm is part no.2 in this factory diagram:

Knuckle etc.jpg
I think your problem is a bent INNER TIE ROD...? Nissan called them Rack 'Side Rods', but the common - often US-influenced - vernacular is 'Inner Tie Rods'.

As already advised, if you swap a North American market HLS30 '280Z' rack like-for-like you should be safest in regard to parts matching up properly.

peter_s

Club Member

I was searching a lot recently because I was wondering if there are quicker racks out there. I couldn't find anything regarding different ratios, but some information regarding the knuckle lengths.

Great info here

Fosworth

Well-Known Forum User
yes, it's a 76!

the Rack is in Southampton I'm in lockdown in Twickenham for being naughty and spending a few weeks in Spain

I am interested in the rack and after seeing more info on here I would risk buying it without any measuring. Once you are released get back to me please with a price.

Robbie J

Club Member
I am interested in the rack and after seeing more info on here I would risk buying it without any measuring. Once you are released get back to me please with a price.
I will see if the Hallie can measure it sooner. It's at his garage

Robbie J

Club Member
What exact measurements do you need? for the mounting points straps, Hallie thinks it will fit, its the same year 280Z likely can't get any closer