North East - GTR Heritage Centre open day

datsfun

Club Member
Like Cortina GTs wearing Lotus badges?

Agreed and most likely has been happening with other marques going back even longer

I was simply quoting what " Richiep" wrote about the Japanese trend of installing GT-R badges on non GT-R C10 models as possibly being a catalyst to this practice elsewhere outside Japan.

Why not just enjoy it as a good day out?

Apologies Mike, didn't mean to upset you.

The basis of what i'm saying is, the chances of seeing a proper GT-R at the GTR heritage open day aren't always as good as they'd appear, its not as clear cut as what it says on the tin. Hope that makes sense.

Robbie J

Club Member
Apologies Mike, didn't mean to upset you.

The basis of what i'm saying is, the chances of seeing a proper GT-R at the GTR heritage open day aren't always as good as they'd appear, its not as clear cut as what it says on the tin. Hope that makes sense.

Dave has lots of the newer GTR's onsite I know the R32 GTR's, R33 GTR's, R34 GTR's and his own R35 GTR might not float your boat but others might enjoy seeing them?

Dave has lots of the newer GTR's onsite I know the R32 GTR's, R33 GTR's, R34 GTR's and his own R35 GTR might not float your boat but others might enjoy seeing them?

I'm looking to argue, also i've had no idea what others might like seeing. I was(as clear above) making reference to the more classic range and the sorts of cars in the promo pics.

Robbie J

Club Member
I'm looking to argue, also i've had no idea what others might like seeing. I was(as clear above) making reference to the more classic range and the sorts of cars in the promo pics.
Good for you but you will be arguing with yourself, there will be other GTR's there I would think most people would like a look.

Are you going? Is it close to you? I was commenting as I know Dave from old

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I was simply quoting what " Richiep" wrote about the Japanese trend of installing GT-R badges on non GT-R C10 models as possibly being a catalyst to this practice elsewhere outside Japan.

In my experience, the scene in Japan is usually very scrupulous about what is 'The Real Thing' and what is not. In any case, most people who know their onions can tell a 'lookey likey' from The Real Thing at 20 paces. The presumption there is that a C10-series Skyline will usually not be a GT-R unless proved otherwise, and that not all that glisters is gold. It seems like a sensible mindset to me.

That's not usually the case outside Japan. There often seems to be confusion about what is what, and the use of the term 'Hako' has almost got to the stage where people think 'Hako' = GTR. I've never heard anyone in Japan use the abbreviated 'Hako' in place of 'Hakosuka'.

I was at the Goodwood Festival of Speed when the GTR Shop's KGC10 was part of the Nissan display stand wearing a sign that described it as a KPGC10 GT-R. Even during the short time I was walking around the stand I could hear people mistaking the car for The Real Thing, and taking selfies with what they were telling each other was "The First GTR". Bittersweet.

Here's an example of the legacy:

Robbie J

Club Member
Are you going Albrecht? I think the people on the forum are all aware it's not a true GTR but perhaps there might be other things there that are worth looking at.

My experience of the tuners in Japan is that they are very similar to Dave. For your records, I've been 8 times to Japan and visited people like Mines, Bee-R, Top Secret etc at least 4 times each. They may not be on your prefered list but they each do "fun stuff" and enjoyed each visit. Perhaps people in the UK might enjoy visiting Dave's place as well.

If you want you could make a sign and stand outside saying what a real KPGC10 GT-R looks like

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
If you want you could make a sign and stand outside saying what a real KPGC10 GT-R looks like

Might I suggest that Dave makes up a sign showing what a real KGC10 looks like? EXTRA:D

He can use this image if he has trouble finding one:

KGC10-1.jpg

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
It's interesting how defensive people get about stuff like this. I'd kind of expect the kind of people who are interested enough in old cars to come onto forums and discuss them, to be interested in Getting Stuff Right.

I guess 'Heritage' ain't what it used to be...

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
That blue KGC10 is still a good looking car, went on Google looking for more photos and all you get is the replicas!

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
That blue KGC10 is still a good looking car, went on Google looking for more photos and all you get is the replicas!

All the C10-series models are good looking cars, with a great range of mechanical specs too. Nissan did really well with them, and the Prince bloodline really shows through. The Nissan & Price merger worked really well in that respect.

Not a lot of people realise just how big a seller the C10-series was for Nissan, with almost all of it in domestic Japanese sales. People talk about how much money the 240Z made for Nissan in export sales, but the C10-series Skyline outsold it by a factor of 10 during the 1969 through 1973 period. Great cars.

PGC10 and KPGC10 Skyline GT-R production was less than 2,000 cars, so genuine GT-R models were rare by default.